DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The Sword - Warp Riders Aug 24 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/577528-sword-warp-riders-aug-24-a.html)

JHosk 08-04-10 01:02 PM

The Sword - Warp Riders Aug 24

Anyone else as stoked for this as I am ?? Definitely my most anticipated album of the year.

Maxflier 08-04-10 01:39 PM

Re: The Sword - Warp Riders Aug 24

No doubt man. My favorite band EVER. Already have it pre-ordered from their site with the t-shirt and poster bundle.

Mordred 08-04-10 01:54 PM

Very excited even though I've heard the album is going to pretty different than their last two. Can't wait.

Maxflier 08-04-10 02:11 PM

I posted this in another thread but incase you didn't see it, here is a track from the new album:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/34BXwlOmUjE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/34BXwlOmUjE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

JHosk 08-04-10 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 10304355)
I posted this in another thread but incase you didn't see it, here is a track from the new album:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/34BXwlOmUjE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/34BXwlOmUjE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I've been listening to that song at least 3 times a day during work. I was a bit skeptical when I heard the new album was going to be a sci-fi concept album, but after hearing the first single and seeing the album cover I think it's going to be pretty special. The special editions on their site looks pretty cool, but the shipping to Canada is a deal breaker. Guess I'll have to get the regular edition.

Sessa17 08-04-10 06:24 PM

As I've posted numerous times since their debut, I dig the hell out of them, they are one of only 2 metal bands that I like (the other being Baroness). I'm a little worried that they changed their sound a bit, but I haven't heard much from the new album.

islandclaws 08-05-10 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 10304294)
No doubt man. My favorite band EVER. Already have it pre-ordered from their site with the t-shirt and poster bundle.

I didn't know of such a deal... I'll have to get my order in for this. Easily one of my most-anticipated albums for this year.

anomynous 08-05-10 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 10304833)
As I've posted numerous times since their debut, I dig the hell out of them, they are one of only 2 metal bands that I like (the other being Baroness). I'm a little worried that they changed their sound a bit, but I haven't heard much from the new album.

Your post really makes me wish there was a The Sword/Baroness tour

Hiro11 08-05-10 12:09 PM

I have mixed feelings about this band. They write good riffs and melodies, but to me it seems like they sometimes resort to Wolfmother-style apeing of 70s prog metal. Also, the sword / sandals lyrics of the last album got a little samey and old on the later tracks. Still, minor quibbles. The band rocks.

Looking forward to the new one which looks like a dive into Hawkwind-style space rock.

woofman 08-05-10 03:54 PM

Looking forward to this, though to be honest, the last one didn't do much for me. Their debut though was a CLASSIC.

I'm debating going to see them at the House of Blues in Cleveland, Karma to Burn is opening....what a lineup!

macnorton 08-08-10 12:10 PM

The new song sounds a little less Sabbath-y and more like Kings of Leon. That is not a bad thing at all.

I have been waiting for this album and that song did not disappoint. I am in.

anomynous 08-08-10 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton (Post 10310813)
The new song sounds a little less Sabbath-y and more like Kings of Leon. That is not a bad thing at all.

I have been waiting for this album and that song did not disappoint. I am in.

What?

JOE29 08-08-10 07:00 PM

I've always been interested in this band. I seen a few of their videos and i like their doom / Sabbath style. Although i haven't picked up any of their cd's to date. I listened to the Tres brujas song and i like it. So at some point i'll have to try them out by buying a cd or two of them. Are there any other doom / Sabbath style bands out there to try out that have the same type of style that The Sword has?

yoshimi 08-08-10 08:47 PM

Never heard them before but I went ahead and pre-ordered the cd after hearing that sample.

JHosk 08-09-10 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by JOE29 (Post 10311238)
I've always been interested in this band. I seen a few of their videos and i like their doom / Sabbath style. Although i haven't picked up any of their cd's to date. I listened to the Tres brujas song and i like it. So at some point i'll have to try them out by buying a cd or two of them. Are there any other doom / Sabbath style bands out there to try out that have the same type of style that The Sword has?

Yeah. There are a bunch of great doom/stoner metal bands that are flying under the radar. Two that I'm digging ATM are Orange Goblin and Graveyard.

macnorton 08-10-10 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by anomynous (Post 10310877)
What?

The vocals...it isn't that deep Sabbath style the last two records had. It sounds more like Kings of Leon.

islandclaws 08-21-10 04:55 PM

Been spinning this one all day... I like it, but it'll have to grow on me, I hope. Not quite as epic as the last 2 records, but there are some solid songs on here.

Maxflier 08-21-10 05:49 PM

Gotta love pre-ordering things and hearing people enjoying them before you do....
Where did you get it if I might ask?

islandclaws 08-21-10 06:19 PM

Uhhhhhhh... you really gotta ask? Don't worry, I love the band and plan to buy the physical copy... once I find it for <$10.

Maxflier 08-21-10 06:21 PM

Ok, I thought maybe BB had it out early or something. They are good for that.

islandclaws 08-21-10 06:54 PM

Nope, and I doubly disappointed that they aren't selling it for $7.99 as I hoped they would.

Maxflier 08-23-10 02:43 PM

Solid stuff, but not blown away yet like the first two albums, although it's only my initial play-through. Hopefully it's a grower, much like myself.
One thing I love about The Sword is the instrumental lead-up they have at the beginning of each album.

JHosk 08-25-10 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 10335120)
Solid stuff, but not blown away yet like the first two albums, although it's only my initial play-through. Hopefully it's a grower, much like myself.
One thing I love about The Sword is the instrumental lead-up they have at the beginning of each album.

Ditto. I wasn't blown away on the first listen like I had expected. But this is a total grows-on-you disc. It gets better with each listen. It's no Age of Winters, but I put it on the same level as Gods of the Earth.

I'm surprised it's not getting more mainstream exposure, especially after opening for Ozzy at the itunes fest. I went to two record stores here. One never had it in stock, and the other other only brought in 10 copies.

Hiro11 08-25-10 08:07 PM

This album delivers on the band's promise in a big way. Best thing they've ever done, IMO.

Oliver Clothesoff 08-26-10 08:43 AM

^Agreed. Love this a lot. The Atari-inspired cover art cracks me up.