Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

How is Chastain Park Amphitheatre in Atlanta?

Old 07-30-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is Chastain Park Amphitheatre in Atlanta?

I'm gonna be there in late August and there are a couple of shows that I may want to check out:

B-52s/Blondie
Tears For Fears

I will try to get as close as possible but is there a breakoff point between acceptable seating/not worth going?

Also, I will be staying in Norcross. How close is that to the venue?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-10, 01:36 PM

Re: How is Chastain Park Amphitheatre in Atlanta?

I have only been to the venue once - it was last summer for the pet shop boys.

first of all from norcross you're a good 15-20 miles from the venue.

as to the venue itself, it's one of the strangest places I have ever attended a concert!

it's an outdoor amphitheater with no covered seats - the stage is covered, but if it rains, everyone gets wet!

second of all most of the floor seats are actually table set ups and go to the "subscribers" who go to the concerts because they have subscribed to the series... that translates to a lot of people with the best seats not being big fans - and in fact at the psb show it seemed many of the tables were more interested in talking & socializing than they were watching the show... until of course they played one or two hits that they recognized, but I digress...

but the weird part of this venue is that you are allowed... even encouraged to bring in pretty much anything you want! and I am not kidding... people bring in coolers... large coolers... with full course meals, steaks, wine & goblets, cheese, beer... anything they want! nothing is searched (which allowed me to take & use my camera!)... but my point is once everyone brings a cooler into a small amphitheater setting, there's no where to put them and the aisles are blocked and it's just bizarre... it's really hard to describe! it also made for exiting the venue to be somewhat difficult as everyone is trying to collect all of their items they brought in so that can leave...

as to the seating, it's a small place so really there aren't too many bad angles or seating locations...

hope this helps you some
Old 07-31-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chastain is an excellent concert venue (assuming it doesn't rain, which seems to happen daily in Atlanta this Summer), but because it's located in a very nice, posh neighborhood in Atlanta, it has an agreement with the locals that there's a strict 11pm cut-off for concerts. So even if the performers want to go later, it won't matter and the sound system will be cut off at 11pm sharp no matter what. (I've heard that has happened mid-song with at least one performer who was doing an extended encore set and unaware of the rules.)

Also, beware of chatters, aka people who want to talk throughout the concert oblivious to people there to actually hear the music. It's the luck of the draw if you end up sitting near some.
Old 08-04-10, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Elvis Costello/Emmylou Harris there about 5 years ago. Showed up and got 2 seats at the front table for $100. I heard that many people who subscribe unload there tickets when the temp kicks up, so if it is hot expect to pay a lot less. It is a cool place to watch a show but there are so many people who show up and socialize that it can really take from the enjoyment of the show. But once it got dark, the show really kicked into high gear and was very enjoyable.
Old 08-04-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it the type of place where, if you show up before the show, you will likely find someone selling tickets?

Works best for me as I'm not sure exactly what my schedule is gonna be like while I'm there (I'm testifying in court), so I really don't want to buy tickets up front and then not be able to go.
Old 08-04-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the weirder an act is the less likely you'll have the chatters. I've only been to Chastain one time when I was taken with some friends to see Gipsy Kings. I guess I ended up being one of the talkers since I didn't give a toss about the band and most others sort of treated them like just a good sound system. Everyone was dancing, eating and walking around. Actually had a pretty good time. I've never seen such a cross section of beautiful, worldly people in this city as I did that night.
Old 08-05-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What are the best record/music stores in the Atlanta area? Mainly looking for for shops with a good new/used cd selection.
Old 08-10-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Chastain has 2 types of floor seating, the first being the one that Bearkiss alluded with the table seating, but for other acts, they also have conventional floor seating without the tables, and no carry-ins are allowed, so you are limited to the concession stands for eats/drinks, or whatever you sneak into the venue.

I've seen Sting and Sarah McLachlan this summer at Chastain, and those were conventional floor seating without tables. It's best to check the website to see which way the concert seating will be laid out for a given concert.

I usually see ticket scalpers around the Roswell and West Wieuca (or perhaps closer to the park as well).

Most people tend to chatter during the non-highlining acts/opening acts, but it's usually pretty good behavior for the main act(s).
Old 08-12-10, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As the others have said, it's a 6,700 seat venue smack dab in the middle of a nice neighborhood. The venue itself is pretty nice, but it really depends on the crowd. As Patman said, they tend to be pretty chatty during opening acts as that's when they bust out the wine and cheese. Still the crowd at Roxy Music was really good back in 2001, and the crowd at Gipsy Kings was a bit chatty, but there was a great party atmosphere there, almost like a Jimmy Buffet concert without the parrot heads.

However, the worst concert of my life was at Chastian. Natalie Merchant played here in late September 1995. It just so happened to be the first night it got really chilly that season. Merchant came out and did 4-5 "fast" songs in a row (as fast NM songs get, anyway). She then went into a long set of slow songs... and just as she did, it began to rain. It was that long, slow soaking kind of rain that people who have gardens like so much. But Merchant marched on with her slow-ass songs, oblivious to the crowd, who were either draping themselves with tablecloths or hunched over in their seats under umbrellas. It's not MN's fault it rained, but she sure as hell could have cranked it up a notch! After 5 slow songs we just couldn't take it any more, so we left... as did half the crowd, apparently.

Also, I should point out that there's no easy way to get to Chastain without a car. Norcross might only be 20 miles away, but Atlanta's public transport system is such that it would probably take 2 hours to get there via Gwinnett busses, MARTA rail and MARTA bus.

As far as good record stores go, it really depends on what you're looking for. Good "alternative" stores include:

Wax N Facts and Criminal Records, both in Little Five Points. There's also a branch of Wuxtry in Decatur; the original, located in Athens, is where Pete Buck worked and several Athens-based bands hung out in the 70s and 80s.
Old 08-12-10, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

went once to see Wilco and it rained hard, so not fond memories at all.

I was pumped however since my friend said he saw Neil Young play there and it sounded amazing. No rain of course. It's also located in an interesting part of Atlanta. Real old school.

So i'd imagine that if the weather is clear, it's a good venue. My personal favorite in Atlanta is the Tabernacle. Very fond memories of that one, and it's little cousin, The Cotton Club.
Old 08-12-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
but because it's located in a very nice, posh neighborhood in Atlanta, it has an agreement with the locals that there's a strict 11pm cut-off for concerts.
I believe that is a city-wide ordinance that applies to all venues over a certain size. I lived in Atlanta for 30+ years, and never (not once) do I recall a show at The Omni, Philips Arena, the Fox, Chastain, the Civic Center or Lakehood going past 11pm. The ordinance doesn't apply to smaller venues like The Roxy or Masquerade.

It's possible that they enforce the law at Chastain differently, however. I seem to recall my high school best friend going to a metal show at The Omni and the lead singer of whoever it was (Iron Maiden?) said something along the lines of "screw the fine... let's keep going!" and they played to 11:20 or so. I could be making that up or misremembering or something, though.
Old 08-12-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 View Post
My personal favorite in Atlanta is the Tabernacle. Very fond memories of that one, and it's little cousin, The Cotton Club.
You young'uns...
Old 08-27-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to the Blondie/B-52s show on Aug 25th and it was great! Both bands are still in great form despite their age (which they both made fun of on their t-shirts). And the heat wave / constant thunderstorms we've been having all Summer long in Atlanta ended a week earlier, so it was a nice Summer night that was perfect for an outdoor concert.