DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Is there any other albums that sync up with The Wizard of Oz (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/576941-there-any-other-albums-sync-up-wizard-oz.html)

JJE-187 07-23-10 09:15 PM

Is there any other albums that sync up with The Wizard of Oz

Ok i am working on a Dark Side Of Oz fanedit and wanted to know if anybody knew any other albums that would sync up with The Wizard Of Oz after Dark Side Of The Moon ends?

The Infidel 07-24-10 12:27 AM

Re: Is there any other albums that sync up with The Wizard of Oz

I hear the Wizard of Oz soundtrack is pretty close.

cungar 07-24-10 08:54 AM

No in fact there are NO albums that sync up with the Wizard of Oz.

Tscott 07-24-10 09:25 AM

Try something by Ozzy

dhmac 07-24-10 11:15 AM

If you're trying to do the sync right, it's only supposed to be The Dark Side of the Moon throughout. The whole "Dark Side of the Rainbow" sync idea is to 1st start playing The Dark Side of the Moon when the MGM lion finishes its 3rd roar and simply start playing the album all over again when it runs out before The Wizard of Oz does and then start the album a 3rd time when it runs out yet again. (The "Dark Side of the Rainbow=" sync elements are outlined here including the 2nd and 3rd album restarts=).

BTW, the Pink Floyd sync I prefer is playing the full-length song "Echoes" with the wordless final "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" section of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I like that sync better and both the song and that part of the film have almost exactly the same running time of 23.5 minutes, so there's no need to repeat the music at all.

arminius 07-24-10 11:36 AM

I had pretty good luck with The Sex Pistols "Who Killed Bambi" and the movie Excalibur.

whaaat 07-24-10 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 10284338)
If you're trying to do the sync right, it's only supposed to be The Dark Side of the Moon throughout. The whole "Dark Side of the Rainbow" sync idea is to 1st start playing The Dark Side of the Moon when the MGM lion finishes its 3rd roar and simply start playing the album all over again when it runs out before The Wizard of Oz does and then start the album a 3rd time when it runs out yet again. (The "Dark Side of the Rainbow=" sync elements are outlined here including the 2nd and 3rd album restarts=).

Second Play-through

067) (S) At the transition from Speak to Me to Breathe the Tin Woodsman straightens out his leg, and begins dancing to the music (somewhat).

068) (Z) Tin Woodsman sways to and fro to the sound of Dave's bending guitar strings.
The second playthrough is in some ways cooler than the first, but the timing can be tricky (approx 13.5 second wait before restarting the album when using the commonly available remaster). I saw it at a local rep cinema in Toronto several years ago, and everybody lost their shit when the Tin Man was dancing to Breathe (okay, we were pretty high as well). Other cool synchs:
2001/Echoes - probably the best, most concise synch out there
Return Of The Jedi/OK Computer (I only know the timing for this one using the SE DVD)
Terminator 2/Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
and one that I discovered on my own:
Eyes Without A Face/Transmissions From The Satellite Heart & The Soft Bulletin

Groucho 07-24-10 05:53 PM

Any album syncs up with the film as well as The Dark Side of the Moon (as in, not at all).

SkullOrchard 07-24-10 06:16 PM

Has anyone ever tried Rush's "2112" CD and "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory?

Jason 07-24-10 06:56 PM

I think Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music album probably would sync up well with Andy Warhol's film Empire.

Jason 07-24-10 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard (Post 10284925)
Has anyone ever tried Rush's "2112" CD and "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory?

Somebody had this on youtube a while back. Didn't start at the beginning of the movie, though. It kinda sorta worked, but I doubt it holds up much past Overture/Temple of Syrinx.