DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Jewel dresses up as "Karen;" sings Jewel songs at a Karaoke bar (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/576850-jewel-dresses-up-karen%3B-sings-jewel-songs-karaoke-bar.html)

RoyalTea 07-21-10 09:12 PM

Jewel dresses up as "Karen;" sings Jewel songs at a Karaoke bar

<object width="512" height="328" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_4a87d48fdd"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=4a87d48fdd" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed width="512" height="328" flashvars="key=4a87d48fdd" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_4a87d48fdd" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:512px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4a87d48fdd/undercover-karaoke-with-jewel" title="from Jewel, Eric Appel, Antonio Scarlata, and FOD Team">Undercover Karaoke with Jewel</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/jewel">Jewel</a></div>

EdTheRipper 07-21-10 09:52 PM

Re: Jewel dresses up as "Karen;" sings Jewel songs at a Karaoke bar

I saw this at another forum I post at a couple of days ago. Good stuff. I laughed my ass off at the reactions from folks finding out that Karen was actually Jewel.

RoyalTea 07-21-10 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper (Post 10279384)
I laughed my ass off at the reactions from folks finding out that Karen was actually Jewel.

I can give people a pass for thinking someone who sounds exactly like Jewel singing Jewel songs at a bar wasn't actually Jewel. But then they brought Jewel out. And the rest of the bar was chanting "karen, karen, karen" at her just like they did when they thought she was just karen. And they still didn't know what was going on.

The Infidel 07-22-10 08:57 AM

^ I think that second part you mentioned was just the opposite. I saw them chanting "Karen" at Jewel as their way of acknowledging that they had been duped, and they were doing it jokingly.

NORML54601 07-22-10 08:59 AM

Was posted in the random video thread

dsa_shea 07-22-10 12:06 PM

"She only sings at Christmas parties.....LOL!

RoyalTea 07-22-10 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 10279969)
^ I think that second part you mentioned was just the opposite. I saw them chanting "Karen" at Jewel as their way of acknowledging that they had been duped, and they were doing it jokingly.

i was talking about the people that were interviewed. it was clear that most of the crowd knew that "karen"=jewel. that's why they chanted karen's name after jewel finished singing. but there were people interviewed that needed someone to actually tell them that karen=jewel because even after the crowd chanted, they still had no clue.

Numanoid 07-22-10 12:17 PM

Do people really get that stoked at karaoke?

Michael Corvin 07-22-10 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 10279402)
And the rest of the bar was chanting "karen, karen, karen" at her just like they did when they thought she was just karen. And they still didn't know what was going on.

I think "got it" out which is why they were chanting "Karen." Save for the few idiots they interviewed at the end.

Mikael79 07-22-10 03:03 PM

Wouldn't it have been more authentic if she was at least pretending to read the monitor? Oh well...

reubs82 07-22-10 03:07 PM

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing that!

BambooLounge 07-22-10 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mikael79 (Post 10280816)
Wouldn't it have been more authentic if she was at least pretending to read the monitor? Oh well...

Nah..I'm not a karaoke fan or anything, but I've been to a few bars and you can tell who the bar "pros" are. They basically must sing 1 or 2 songs every time they do karaoke and they never use the monitor. I saw a guy walk around the bar once (damn wireless mics) never looking at the monitors while he sang.

Cool video...never saw anyone not singing get that into karaoke before.

astrochimp 07-22-10 07:28 PM

Cool :)

johnnysd 07-22-10 09:34 PM

I thought it was great.

The Bus 07-23-10 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10280406)

Or, for that matter, Jewel?

Heat 07-23-10 11:26 AM

Great video!

Have they released a longer version of her performance, or has anybody found any audience clips of her karaoke performance?

Speaking of karaoke, I remember a story that somebody told on these boards about how how he, or a friend, or whoever was with Linda Perry (the lead singer of 4-Non Blondes) in the mid '90s at a bar and she sang a karaoke version of "What's Up". Nobody recognized her.

Numanoid 07-23-10 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BambooLounge (Post 10280974)
Cool video...never saw anyone not singing get that into karaoke before.

Exactly. That's what doesn't ring true for me. Hell, the crowd was into the other people as much as Jewel, and they sucked. Which leads me to believe they all knew what was going on and were playing it up, or were mostly actors.

Jeremy517 07-23-10 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10282760)
Exactly. That's what doesn't ring true for me. Hell, the crowd was into the other people as much as Jewel, and they sucked. Which leads me to believe they all knew what was going on and were playing it up, or were mostly actors.

Or they were drunk.

Trevor 07-23-10 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10282760)

Yeah, now that you mention it, it does look a bit hokey.

I've only been to maybe a dozen karaoke nights in my entire life, but have never seen universal support/cheering like that. The crowd you're with cheers and eggs you on, sure, but not the whole place, in my very limited experience.

Gunde 07-23-10 02:09 PM

There's a difference between a regular karaoke night and a karaoke bar where the hardcore karaoke freaks come. They are way into it, especially if someone can actually sing.

RoyalTea 07-23-10 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10282829)
I've only been to maybe a dozen karaoke nights in my entire life, but have never seen universal support/cheering like that. The crowd you're with cheers and eggs you on, sure, but not the whole place, in my very limited experience.

Go to a karaoke bar in Nashville.

nodeerforamonth 07-24-10 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10280406)

Yes. Yes, they do. You need to get out more.

Or I need to get out less.

jmu878 07-24-10 12:36 AM

I might be in love with her. Extrememly talented individual.

Pizza 07-24-10 09:07 AM

Karen...karen...karen....

big whoppa 07-24-10 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 10282884)
There's a difference between a regular karaoke night and a karaoke bar where the hardcore karaoke freaks come. They are way into it, especially if someone can actually sing.

Some of the singers think they are professionals. They must go every week. Boy, are they annoying.