DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Is there an imdb for music? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/576369-there-imdb-music.html)

PopcornTreeCt 07-11-10 06:54 PM

Is there an imdb for music?

Is there a website where you can look up all releases from artists/bands including singles? Usually, I have to check Amazon and then there's wikipedia which isn't very reliable. Any good websites?

NORML54601 07-11-10 07:07 PM

Re: Is there an imdb for music?

Try www.allmusic.com

reverie 07-11-10 07:21 PM

I've always thought this'd be a good idea.. as in musicians on albums, etc. Too bad I don't have the know-how or ambition to do such a thing. ;)

Supermallet 07-11-10 08:08 PM

I use Allmusic all the time, although sometimes Stephen Thomas Erlewine's reviews are amazingly reductive. But most of the time, it does a good job of giving you an overview of an artist's career and discography. The reviews generally reflect the majority of the critical consensus.

sniper007 07-11-10 09:09 PM

Not As Good As Allmusic But try http://www.last.fm/

Applejack 07-11-10 09:20 PM

Another vote for Allmusic.

When I consider getting into somebody's catalog, I always buy the highest rated albums on Allmusic, and it has worked out well for me.

The Antipodean 07-11-10 10:12 PM

All Music does the trick generally

davidh777 07-11-10 10:14 PM

There's an IMDb/Amazon music site called Soundunwound. Still fairly new, though.

bootsy 07-11-10 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Applejack (Post 10260079)
Another vote for Allmusic.

When I consider getting into somebody's catalog, I always buy the highest rated albums on Allmusic, and it has worked out well for me.

Never knew about this site until now. Very cool.:)

PopcornTreeCt 07-11-10 10:50 PM

Thanks for the info on Allmusic.

dhmac 07-11-10 11:10 PM

Another vote for allmusic.com from me too. Nothing else out there for music is as good.

But one thing to watch out for there is an occasional disconnect between the star rating and the written review. I've seem rave reviews written for albums that the site then gives only 3 out of 5 stars.

Giles 07-11-10 11:24 PM

allmusic... oh wait... oops eveyone beat me to the punch on that suggestion :D

JAA 07-12-10 06:27 AM

Yep, another satisfied allmusic user. Certainly not perfect, but an excellent (quick) resource.

SubZeri 07-12-10 08:15 AM

discogs.com

rw2516 07-12-10 08:25 AM

Allmusic is invaluable. The singles info isn't very good though. There is a singles tab on the discography but don't expect to find anything like complete lists of singles, A/B sides, etc.

There are probably thousands of songs not in their database because they were only released on a single and never on an LP or CD.

cungar 07-12-10 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10259980)
I use Allmusic all the time, although sometimes Stephen Thomas Erlewine's reviews are amazingly reductive.

I'll never take this guy seriously after he gave Paris Hilton's debut album 4.5 stars.

Heat 07-12-10 08:46 AM

I use www.allmusic.com also.

By the way, there is also a www.allmovie.com which isn't as good as IMDB, but is still pretty good. I use it on occasion to search by genre or keyword.

GreenVulture 07-12-10 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by SubZeri (Post 10260550)
discogs.com

This right here is the site you want to go to if you want to see everything, including detailed single releases.

Red Medicine 07-12-10 05:44 PM

www.rateyourmusic.com is the musical equivalent of IMDB; it has the same kind of rating system. All Music is a joke.

Hokeyboy 07-12-10 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Red Medicine (Post 10261597)
www.rateyourmusic.com is the musical equivalent of IMDB; it has the same kind of rating system. All Music is a joke.

You've got to be kidding.

Between the late 90s-styled web design (Web 0.5?) and the lack of meaningful album content in favor of mostly illiterate user submissions, I'll take allmusic any day of the week. :up:

Red Medicine 07-12-10 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10261641)
You've got to be kidding.

Between the late 90s-styled web design (Web 0.5?) and the lack of meaningful album content in favor of mostly illiterate user submissions, I'll take allmusic any day of the week. :up:

http://www.markprindle.com/guided.htm

"One of America's great national pastimes is reading All-Music Guide and enjoying how none of their reviews seem to match the accompanying number grades. Here are a few examples from their Guided By Voices page. Note that AMG grades on a 1-5 scale, and that these five albums were released one after the other in the order reviewed:

BEE THOUSAND - "there are more than a few duds that threaten to cancel out the goodwill the great songs generate"... "The lo-tech rumble of the album's D.I.Y. production also wavers between being a help and a hindrance, depending on the songs, and as musicians Guided by Voices veer between sounding like inspired amateurs and, well, just amateurs"... " GRADE: 4.5

ALIEN LANES - "the musicians have put a bit more care and focus into their performance on this set; the playing is tighter and sharper, and the band plays toward their strengths, pushing their occasional sloppiness into a harder, more rock-oriented direction. And if Pollard and Tobin Sprout were still obsessed with tiny fragments of pop song wonderment, they also rounded up a more consistent collection of them... also fewer obvious mistakes, and the sequencing gives the album a more consistent flow than before." GRADE: 3.5

UNDER THE BUSHES UNDER THE STARS - "Pollard's tighter reign over the band and new sense of self-control made this album a more solid and consistent album than GBV had made in the past." GRADE: 3

MAG EARWHIG! - "Unfortunately, his songwriting wasn't quite up to his usual standards...Robert Pollard's next experiment in hi-fi record making, Do the Collapse, would prove to be much more successful." GRADE: 4

DO THE COLLAPSE - "Do the Collapse simply doesn't work." GRADE: 2

WHEE!"

As Prindle said, the reviews on that site usually have no basis in logic. RYM is very popular among spiteful music elitists, who are the only people that one can trust nowadays.

Hokeyboy 07-12-10 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Red Medicine (Post 10261739)
http://www.markprindle.com/guided.htm

"One of America's great national pastimes is reading All-Music Guide and enjoying how none of their reviews seem to match the accompanying number grades. Here are a few examples from their Guided By Voices page. Note that AMG grades on a 1-5 scale, and that these five albums were released one after the other in the order reviewed:

BEE THOUSAND - "there are more than a few duds that threaten to cancel out the goodwill the great songs generate"... "The lo-tech rumble of the album's D.I.Y. production also wavers between being a help and a hindrance, depending on the songs, and as musicians Guided by Voices veer between sounding like inspired amateurs and, well, just amateurs"... " GRADE: 4.5

ALIEN LANES - "the musicians have put a bit more care and focus into their performance on this set; the playing is tighter and sharper, and the band plays toward their strengths, pushing their occasional sloppiness into a harder, more rock-oriented direction. And if Pollard and Tobin Sprout were still obsessed with tiny fragments of pop song wonderment, they also rounded up a more consistent collection of them... also fewer obvious mistakes, and the sequencing gives the album a more consistent flow than before." GRADE: 3.5

UNDER THE BUSHES UNDER THE STARS - "Pollard's tighter reign over the band and new sense of self-control made this album a more solid and consistent album than GBV had made in the past." GRADE: 3

MAG EARWHIG! - "Unfortunately, his songwriting wasn't quite up to his usual standards...Robert Pollard's next experiment in hi-fi record making, Do the Collapse, would prove to be much more successful." GRADE: 4

DO THE COLLAPSE - "Do the Collapse simply doesn't work." GRADE: 2

WHEE!"

As Prindle said, the reviews on that site usually have no basis in logic. RYM is very popular among spiteful music elitists, who are the only people that one can trust nowadays.

Welcome to the forum, Mark.

Supermallet 07-12-10 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Red Medicine (Post 10261739)
RYM is very popular among spiteful music elitists, who are the only people that one can trust nowadays.

If I wanted to read Pitchfork reviews, I'd just go to Pitchfork's website.

Red Medicine 07-12-10 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10261777)
Welcome to the forum, Mark.

Do you have any mental deficiencies that you wish to share with us? How can you not know who Mark Prindle is?

Hokeyboy 07-12-10 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Red Medicine (Post 10261864)
Do you have any mental deficiencies that you wish to share with us? How can you not know who Mark Prindle is?

Mental deficiencies and Mark Prindle go together like peas 'n' carrots, I reckon...