Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there an imdb for music?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is there an imdb for music?

Old 07-12-10, 08:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is there an imdb for music?

This should be good.
Old 07-12-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Welcome to the forum, Mark.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...iews-site.html

Originally Posted by Red Medicine View Post
Do you have any mental deficiencies that you wish to share with us? How can you not know who Mark Prindle is?
I've never heard of you him before. After checking out your his website, I doubt I'll be back.

Here's the entirety of his review for Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
How do you follow up The Dark Side Of The Moon? Pink Floyd found out the hard way: you go into the studio, force riffs out, try to make them sound good, feel the pressure of knowing everybody's just waiting to jump on your back for releasing an inferior sequel, deal with the guilt of showing up one day to find the bald, fat shell of your former lead singer waiting to say hello to you, get sick of the whole idea, get sick of each other - and somehow, in spite of yourselves, record an album that is every bit as melancholy, paranoid, beautiful, hopeless, and significant as its predecessor.

Although, all told, there are only four titles on this album, and two of them are purposely ugly attacks on the music industry (the radio classics "Welcome To The Machine" and "Have A Cigar"), the mood of the album, thanks to the twenty-five minute "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" suite, is unmistakably sorrowful. Is this a message to Syd Barrett? To lost youthful innocence and joy? To some broad? No matter - the instrumental passages are indescribably lovely, even when the band is trying to rock; in fact, the four ringing guitar notes that introduce "Part Two" of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" may very well be the saddest little melody ever laid on vinyl. I don't know why. You'd really just have to hear them. Even sadder than Weird Al's "Living In The Fridge" (and that was pretty darn sad). And of course there's the title track, which compacts all the sorrow man has ever experienced into one tight, concise (and confusing) five-minute-long expression of despair: "Running over the same old ground / What have we found? / The same old fears.... / Wish you were here."

So yeah. It's as good as The Dark Side Of The Moon.

It's no Get The Knack, though.
Old 07-12-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Mark Prindle is Red Medicine / Red Medicine is what I read... whoa-oh-oh...
Old 07-13-10, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know this site? http://sfloman.com/
Old 07-14-10, 12:10 AM

You are retarded. Mark Prindle is a 36 year old man living in New York. I'm 22 and live in Canada. I linked his site because I value his taste in music above any other critic's working today.
Old 07-14-10, 01:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Red Medicine, nothing entitles you to call a fellow DVDtalker "retarded": it is, in fact, against the forum rules.

As a result of this, I'm cutting you loose until the beginning of August and suggest that you study the overall rules + the DOs & DONTs stickied in this particular forum between now and then if you want to avoid a permanent removal.

No correspondence will be entered into.
Old 07-14-10, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

allmusic.com is not perfect but probably the best for looking up music info on the net. I do have a few issues though, especially regarding their music genre tags which I use for categorizing my music in iTunes. Them labelling most R&B artists output from the 80s simply as "Urban" is just too vague for my liking.
Another thing is their Billboard charts info. I always have to look up wikipedia or billboard.com because allmusic tend to leave out stuff.

Last edited by hbilly; 07-15-10 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-14-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, this thread took an unexpected turn.
Old 07-14-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sad thing was, I actually kinda liked Mark's his Wish You Were Here review.
Old 07-14-10, 06:28 PM

I use pandora.com once in a while. It's good and has a clean look, but can be slow to update an artist's discography.
Old 07-18-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I like Sound Unwound, but in the interest of disclosure I'm a top 25 contributor there. Off and on for about a year now, I'll have a night where I'm pumped full of steroids to treat my Crohn's and I just can't sleep so I'll pull out some favorite CDs and plug in some information on their site.

I'm also not terribly interested in reviews/criticism, so much as just cold hard data; I want to know who wrote a given song, or when something was released, that kind of thing. I'd love to see Sound Unwound develop a more specific credit style to more easily specify the songs for which a given person is credited on an album, and I wish there was stronger consolidation of compilations. It's a site still very much in its infancy, but I see a lot of potential there.
Old 07-19-10, 12:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Allmusic is great for albums, but generally Wikipedia is the best source for more comprehensive discographies including things like singles, soundtrack contributions, and chart positions.
Old 11-06-13, 02:16 AM

my favorites are last.fm and bestsongsever.com
Old 11-06-13, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome back to the forum, Mark!