Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Darkness believe in a thing called reunion

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

sauce

INVEST heavily in the maker of Lycra now - catsuit-sporting rock Lords THE DARKNESS are heading back out on the road after brothers DAN and JUSTIN HAWKINS finally ended their feud.

The thundering outfit fell apart in 2006 after frontman Justin left to seek treatment for drug addiction. Guitarist Dan and Justin have hardly spoken since.

It's thanks to drummer ED GRAHAM that the siblings have now mended things. After his son was born earlier this year the bros have been visiting.

A source said: "Dan and Justin's falling out was a very bitter affair. They didn't speak for almost half a decade. But spending time with Ed and his family has reminded them all how close they once were."

The quartet, which also features RICHIE EDWARDS on bass, have begun rehearsals. They hope to head out on the road this time next year.

It's good to have them back.
Old 07-05-10, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Darkness believe in a thing called reunion

I saw them once on their tour supporting the first album when they came to nashville, tn...

it was one of the most fun concerts I have ever been to...

they were very tight and very professional... and at times we were laughing at their antics and the jokes justin was making more than if we'd been at a comedy club...

it was awesome and I've love to see them again!
Old 07-05-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

New rule: If you've been broken up for less than 5 years, you can't call it a "reunion." More like a 'return from coffee break.'
Old 07-06-10, 07:01 AM

The rumour mill has been working hard last night with reports of The Darkness reforming, but according to Justin Hawkins, it’s not true.

Hawkins jumped onto Twitter and dispelled the rumours.

“I was startled to read that I’ve been spending time with a small child that I didn’t know existed! Congrats Ed, I think...” he tweeted in response to the allegations that it was drummer Ed Graham’s new child that brought the band together.

He also said “Neither Dan [Hawkins, guitar] nor I were aware of a ‘bitter feud’ that has lasted half a decade. We’ve been at war for over 30 years!”

And then there’s the clincher, which was spread over three “tweets”:

“Whoever paid this ‘source’ should realy ask for their money back, because what they have bought is essentially horse shit. If there was any truth in the Darkness reunion rumour then it wouldn’t be a rumour. However, delighted to read that The Sun would be glad to have us back. Warmed my cockles no end!”

Sorry Darkness fans, but it doesn’t look promising.
Old 07-06-10, 09:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
New rule: If you've been broken up for less than 5 years, you can't call it a "reunion." More like a 'return from coffee break.'
or a paycheck
Old 07-06-10, 09:50 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, Hot Leg's "Red Light District" is like a third Darkness album.
Old 07-07-10, 08:39 AM
Cool New Member

man, I agree. I love the Hot Leg's album. waiting for more new material from Justin.

Originally Posted by DRG
For me, Hot Leg's "Red Light District" is like a third Darkness album.
Old 03-15-11, 08:15 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12733934

"Rock band The Darkness have reformed and announced that they will play this year's Download festival.

All four original members of the band have reunited and will record a new album in April and May 2011.

The Darkness released two studio albums, winning three Brit awards in 2004, and had five top 10 hits including I Believe In A Thing Called Love.

The Suffolk band broke up in 2006 when singer Justin Hawkins quit.

Justin Hawkins told Newsbeat he'd been making tracks with his brother Dan, the band's guitarist, for a couple of years.

"It was frustrating for a long time to not be able to tell anybody because we've had to sort of keep it a secret.

"It was like a forbidden romance without the trail," he joked.

He also said he didn't know what to expect from the band's comeback.

"The main thing for us is to make sure that musically we turn the experience into something positive again.

"We've been remembering why it was so much fun in the first place, just four men making loud music in a room," he said.

And he revealed he would be updating the colourful one-piece bodysuits which he was known to wear in the band's first spell in the charts.

"I think it should be a new phase and that should be extended to the clothing. Not a lesser phase, if anything a cranked up version. They'll be more good."

When he left in 2006 the other members of the band released a statement saying they were in "total shock".

The ex-members of the band had been involved in other projects since, with Justin Hawkins forming Hot Leg and his brother Dan plus drummer Ed Graham starting The Stone Gods.

But both those projects were put on hold in December 2010, sparking rumours the Darkness would reform".
Not of great interest to me but I thought it worth flagging the story!
Old 03-15-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Nice! I was just thinking about these guys the other day. They really captured the style and engery of some bands of yesteryear, but in a good way. Since they left the scene nobody is doing the big bombastic performances.

As an aside, I'd be interested to see a Justin Hawkin/Mika collaboriation for charity. I think that could be something well interesting.
Old 03-15-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw them play in San Diego years ago. Decent show, but their music has never done a lot for me.
Old 03-15-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I am happy about this.

I saw them play a show several years ago and really enjoyed it.
Old 03-17-11, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't Robert 'Mutt' Lange's (Def Leppard, AC/DC, Bryan Adams) name being mentioned in the past as a producer for a new album by these guy's???
Old 03-17-11, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made my day...