Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bowie's Station to Station reissue due Sept. 20: the best of his backcatalog yet!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bowie's Station to Station reissue due Sept. 20: the best of his backcatalog yet!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bowie's Station to Station reissue due Sept. 20: the best of his backcatalog yet!

In about 25 minutes from this posting, you can actually stream the album and the concert via a Facebook app. I write about it on my blog (the link to the post below also has a link to the microsite for STS with interesting production notes by Harry Maslin and a link to my review of the CDs and DVD in advance form):
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010...ng-online-now/
Old 09-24-10, 04:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Bowie's Station to Station reissue due Sept. 20: the best of his backcatalog yet!

I'm going to wait for the album since I sprung for the deluxe edition.
Old 09-25-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is up with all these deluxe editions? McCartney, Stones, Bowie? I don't know what to do. I'd love to get the deluxe just for the surround sound mix but I'd basically be paying an extra $100 just for that DVD.
Old 09-26-10, 05:42 PM
Banned by request

This is weird. I pre-ordered the deluxe from Amazon at $149.99. Checked it today and the listed price had dropped to $132.99. I sent an email to Amazon asking them to adjust the price on my order per their pre-order guarantee. I get an email back saying they'll make a one time exception and adjust the price. Why would it be a one-time exception if it's part of their own guarantee? Strange. If the price drops again I'll just cancel and re-order I guess.
Old 09-26-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That happened to me last year on some blu-ray set (Clone Wars maybe) and I asked the same question. i think someone said it wasn't actually a guarantee after the product shipped.

And I got the cheap edition of Station To Station BTW.
Old 09-26-10, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
This is weird. I pre-ordered the deluxe from Amazon at $149.99. Checked it today and the listed price had dropped to $132.99. I sent an email to Amazon asking them to adjust the price on my order per their pre-order guarantee. I get an email back saying they'll make a one time exception and adjust the price. Why would it be a one-time exception if it's part of their own guarantee? Strange. If the price drops again I'll just cancel and re-order I guess.
That is odd. This might be an option. I ordered it last night thru Barnes and Noble via AAA for $80 before tax and 2.99 shipping. Hopefully I get one!
Old 09-26-10, 06:17 PM
Banned by request

I understand the guarantee doesn't extend past shipping, but the item hasn't shipped yet, which is why I found it odd.
Old 09-26-10, 06:32 PM

I understand the guarantee doesn't extend past shipping, but the item hasn't shipped yet, which is why I found it odd.
That's how I understand it too. Maybe you just got ahold of someone who's new or just doesn't know all the rules yet. Hopefully, it's not Amazon making another change.
Old 09-26-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I preordered the new Dylan Bootleg series and they adjusted the price in my open orders when it lowered. Thought they always did it automatically. Have to keep my eyes on my preorders.
Old 09-26-10, 09:11 PM

Oh ok, I thought yours shipped. Mine did on Friday.
Old 09-26-10, 09:59 PM
Banned by request

JERK!
Old 09-28-10, 12:50 PM
Banned by request

It arrived! It arrived! The Thin White Duke is here!

This set is absurd. Ginormous in every way. I took some pictures so you can all get an idea of what is packed into this thing.

The box itself is huge. LP sized and super thick.

Inside you've got the two LPs, which also hold the CDs, a booklet, two packets, a poster, and pins.

The booklet has a short write-up by Cameron Crowe (who tailed Bowie during the recording of the album and subsequent tour), reproductions of posters, a chronology, pictures from the tour, etc. The "David Bowie on Stage 1976" packet has a reproduction of the Nassau Coliseum ticket, a reproduction of the backstage pass, several lobby card-style photos, band bios, and the press release for the tour.

The second packet is a reproduction of the package you got if you joined Bowie's fan club at the time.

The LP's are 180g vinyl.

I'm listening to the LP of the album now, and it sounds fantastic. I don't have much heavyweight vinyl, but you can really feel the difference. Plenty of aural detail in the mix. After this I'll probably try the surround mix, and then the live show.

The set is expensive, but as you can see, you're getting a lot for your money. I wouldn't have been satisfied with the 3 CD edition knowing that this is out there.

Edit: Oh man, listening to TVC-15 on vinyl...it's ecstasy!

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-28-10 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 01:40 PM

Dang! AND you still got it before me!

Lovely looking set. If I could do vinyl, I'd have ordered it.
Old 09-28-10, 01:45 PM
Banned by request

And Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence arrived at the same time, which was totally unintentional on my part. Guess that means September 28th is officially David Bowie day!

Strangely, neither 5.1 mix is sending information to my rear surrounds. Slowcloud, was this an issue on your promo set?

Edit: Yow! The 5.1 mix of TVC 15 is incredibly different from the stereo mix. I'm guessing that this information is densely layered low in the mix in stereo.

Also, in the liner notes included in the booklet, Harry Maslin makes a point of mentioning no autotune has been used at all. It's incredible to hear the musicianship in Bowie's voice. This DTS mix should be played to every artist recording today who has even looked at autotune.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-28-10 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 05:37 PM

The first thing I'm going to do when I get mine is move those CDs into normal cases. I can't stand that picture of them being held in cardboard slits in the LP jacket. The box is certainly cool looking. Can't wait to listen.
Old 09-28-10, 06:27 PM
Banned by request

I've discovered it's not just the 5.1 mix that isn't outputting through my rear surrounds, it's anything I'm playing from the PS3! This isn't affecting my 360, I don't understand what's wrong.
Old 09-30-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for sharing those photos! I can't wait to get my set.
Old 10-01-10, 04:05 PM

I just got my set! What a great surprise. I was a little worried I wasn't going to get one as after I received an email that my order was being prepared for shipment, I got a second one saying it was on hold. I went to the barnes and noble site and saw they bumped the price up and added a no discounts allowed on this item statement, which wasn't there when I ordered it. But a happy ending. They honored the original price and it saved me $50.
I admit that the packaging is clever in how they combined CDs with LPs in the same jacket. Still wish they put all the CDs in jewel cases of some type as I'm afraid they'll get scratched. I will be doing that myself.
Old 10-15-10, 04:06 PM

This was posted in the comments section of the review for the Station to Station re-issue over at The A.V. Club. I figured some here might appreciate it. Suprmallet might also be able to relate.

Originally Posted by Lord Andre
Bowie can do whatever he wants now. I think he's earned it. He could probably release an album in which the primary percussion are sacks of mewling kittens being bashed rhythmically against concrete walls and I'd still buy it.

He could walk up to me in the street kick me in the balls, shoot my mother in the face and the proceed to profane her remains and while I'm lying in the gutter watching the atrocity unfold, I'd think to myself, "Oh my God... THE MAN WHO WROTE LIFE ON MARS IS SODOMISING MY MOTHER'S CORPSE!!!!"

He could fuck me in the ear, lay eggs in my brain, and as the Bowie-Spawn hatch and burst out of my eyes, nose and mouth, my last thoughts would be of what an amazing album "Low" is.

I'm just saying that I'm probably a bigger Bowie fan than you.
LINK to the review
Old 10-15-10, 04:29 PM
Banned by request

I have to agree. In fact, if I were the host for Bowie-spawn, I'd consider it one of the better uses of my life.
Old 10-15-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been considering getting the 3-cd version, but I'm still on the fence. Apparantly the live portion has been truncated, leaving out at least a drum solo. That kind of stuff is generally unacceptable to me, unless there is a good reason, and I've yet to hear one regarding this. Anyone know why it wasn't included?
Old 10-15-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Roy Bittan played the rolling piano on TVC 15? I did not know that.