Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Music TV Shows

Old 06-25-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Music TV Shows

any favorites? I'm thinking along the lines of shows that featured bands either live or miming at the studio. It's pretty much something that has died off completely but here's a couple of mine I really like.

beat beat beat - 60s German tv show, featured a lot of more obscure groups so this footage is priceless. It was almost always live as well.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oig8z4HvBL8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oig8z4HvBL8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

the beat club - German show, started out live then went to lip synch and then back to live again toward the end of it. The full episodes have been released on DVD sets! 24 dvds

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WAZlf_9ObLg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WAZlf_9ObLg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

top of the pops - find it kind of hard to believe this show no longer exists now

a couple of others- countdown, ready steady go, shindig, hullabaloo, shivaree, where the action is, American bandstand, Don Kirshner's Rock concert, Rock Goes to College.
Old 06-25-10, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 204 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Music TV Shows

Old 06-25-10, 09:24 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

Later With Jools Holland. A half-dozen acts live in a studio with little or no chitchat or other time-wasting, just music after more music.
Old 06-25-10, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Later With Jools Holland. A half-dozen acts live in a studio with little or no chitchat or other time-wasting, just music after more music.
I agree! I also love From The Basement, Live From Abbey Road (depending who's on it), Fearless Music TV.

Old Grey Whistle Test was great from what I've seen!
Old 06-25-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides Top of the Pops, and Old Grey Whistle Test, the other great '80s British show was The Tube.

And there was MusikLaden, which was the heir to The Beat Club from Germany.
Old 06-25-10, 11:48 PM

The Midnight Special
In Concert/Don Kirshner's Rock concert/ABC In Concert
Solid Gold
Old 06-26-10, 12:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Austin City Lights
Live from Abbey Road
Old 06-27-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 06-27-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Besides Top of the Pops, and Old Grey Whistle Test, the other great '80s British show was The Tube.

And there was MusikLaden, which was the heir to The Beat Club from Germany.
old grey whistle test was pretty good. I wish there was more releases of it though. I remember there's a few UK dvds but I think they're just selections from the show.
Old 06-27-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

The early days of Midnight Special, Don Kirschner and In Concert are a treasure trove of 70s rock performances, live not lip synch.

Often Kirschner would feature actual concerts that had been filmed for the show, not in studio. Bad Company, Johnny Winter, T Rex and Van Morrison.

Remember a Midnight Special around Christmas '73 that featured Alvin Lee and Humble Pie. Lee joined Humble Pie for "I Don't Need No Doctor". Also remember Montrose performing "Space Station No. 5" and buying the album the next day.

Thing I remember most about In Concert was when they aired the first California Jam with Deep Purple and ELP.
Old 06-28-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I remember watching the very first Midnight special just prior to the '72 presidential election. Was kind of a one shot deal to get out the teen vote since this was the first time 18-20 year olds could vote. That "Teen Angel" guy from the 7-Up commercials was the host. Alice Cooper was on but instead of playing live thet showed a music video of "Elected".
Old 06-28-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spectacle!
Old 06-28-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Spectacle!
Love it
Old 06-28-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
old grey whistle test was pretty good. I wish there was more releases of it though. I remember there's a few UK dvds but I think they're just selections from the show.
I have the British set. It's an excellent array of artists. Unfortunately, I believe most of it was lip synced which takes away from the show.
Old 06-28-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the British set. It's an excellent array of artists. Unfortunately, I believe most of it was lip synced which takes away from the show.
really? All I've seen are Japan, The Police, Tubeway Army,The Boys, Chelsea, Duran Duran and they were all playing live. I figured the show was almost always live.
Old 06-28-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OGWT was definitely not lip-synced. Top of the Pops definitely was (they call it "miming" in the UK), as was The Tube, I believe.
Old 06-28-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
OGWT was definitely not lip-synced. Top of the Pops definitely was (they call it "miming" in the UK), as was The Tube, I believe.
Might want to watch again and not skip the intros.

From Wikipedia (it's also mentioned by the hosts on the DVD themselves):

Although many assumed the bands were playing live, due to technical issues and the need to ensure performances were controlled, the bands often recorded the performance on the day of shooting prior to taping, and then mimed to this "live" track.
Sort of ruins the appeal.
Old 06-30-10, 12:31 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

Spectacle!
See, this is exactly what I don't want in a music show - musicians sitting around talking. Every second spent yapping is a second less of live music.
Old 06-30-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
See, this is exactly what I don't want in a music show - musicians sitting around talking. Every second spent yapping is a second less of live music.
You want live music, rent a concert video.

Spectacle is an amazing mix of talk, music and rare jams between the host and other musicians. Best thing on cable.
Old 06-30-10, 02:22 PM

Old 06-30-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really wish Austin City Limits would release more of their concerts as albums. I have the one from Neko Case, and I've seen a couple others from artists that didn't interest me, but there are so many great performances that aren't on CD.