Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Radiohead LP8 (Possibly Out This Year?!)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Radiohead LP8 (Possibly Out This Year?!)

Old 02-15-11, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Radiohead LP8 (Possibly Out This Year?!)

You make it sound like you can only stream it, you get to download the files and put it on a disc or mp3 player. Just as good as a CD, have no idea why someone would wait.
Old 02-15-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I take back my criticism about this release. Radiohead is offering real, albeit poor, fans some reasonable options.

1. Pay $9 for the MP3s. Hear the album on Saturday.
2. Pay $14 for the WAVs. Hear the album on Saturday.
3. Pay $9 for the CD. Hear the album 5 1/2 weeks after the rest of the world.
4. Download it illegally. Hear the album on Saturday. Buy the CD eventually... maybe.

I imagine a lot of people who aren't willing to pay the $50 will go for option 4.

I simply do not understand why anyone who actually appreciates what they are doing would want to get around paying them?

Why is paying 50+ on a video game fine with many but spending that price on an album by a band you really value is not?

I think people are so delusional anymore when it comes to Bands and album buying.

Lets see, many people don't want to spend the money to go see a band, they don't want to pay for their music either. Soooo how exactly should bands be able to keep going?

I understand not spending much on bands your only slightly interested in, but if your a true fan of someone, you should be happy to pay them for entertaining you and adding something to your life. Maybe all the complainers are not that into them. If that's true, I understand it more.

Your not a fan if your just trying to steal it off the internet, and not wanting to pay them anything.
I happen to really appreciate what Radiohead does and am quite happy to pay them. It only makes sense in my mind.
Old 02-15-11, 07:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I simply do not understand why anyone who actually appreciates what they are doing would want to get around paying them?
No one here is saying don't pay them a dime. Don't know where you're getting that from. SomethingMore was saying people out in the world may opt to do that to hear the album instead of paying CD prices for MP3s. But no one is advocating stealing the album.

Why is paying 50+ on a video game fine with many but spending that price on an album by a band you really value is not?
Just doing a quick Google search, the cost of developing an Xbox 360 or PS3 is in the millions of dollars, as high as 10 million. Recording a studio album costs somewhere in the range of $250,000 to 1 million. The price isn't set by how much entertainment you get out of it, but how much it costs to make and distribute.

I think people are so delusional anymore when it comes to Bands and album buying.

Lets see, many people don't want to spend the money to go see a band, they don't want to pay for their music either. Soooo how exactly should bands be able to keep going?
I buy albums from bands I like and see them live. I just don't see how "I really like this artist" means I should pay four to five times more for their recordings than artist I only kind of like.

I understand not spending much on bands your only slightly interested in, but if your a true fan of someone, you should be happy to pay them for entertaining you and adding something to your life. Maybe all the complainers are not that into them. If that's true, I understand it more.
I am happy to pay bands and artists for their work, but again, I don't see why you're so eager to just throw your money at them. You're not the only person funding the band.

Your not a fan if your just trying to steal it off the internet, and not wanting to pay them anything.
I happen to really appreciate what Radiohead does and am quite happy to pay them. It only makes sense in my mind.
Again, no one is saying anyone should steal the album. I'm just saying $50 for three copies of the same album and some artwork doesn't seem like a deal to me, I don't care if it's Radiohead or The Beatles.
Old 02-15-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting points all around. I do have to say it seems insane to preorder without seeing some pics of the set. Also, deluxe edition of In Rainbows sure seemed more attractive since it came with an exclusive second disc of songs.
Old 02-15-11, 08:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Thanks, Suprmallet, for effectively explaining what I was saying.

Personally, I won't pay $9 for a digital download. I've done it before, but I don't think I'll ever do it again.

I imagine "most people" (yes, a large generalization) will only purchase music from iTunes. So, by my own personal estimation, a band like radiohead is alienating the fans who fall into the category of not wanting a $50 set but also not wanting to buy their music outside of iTunes or a physical CD... but also want to hear it on Saturday like the rest of the world.

But I really don't know anything. This album is going to sell like hotcakes, so fuck me.
Old 02-15-11, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Just doing a quick Google search, the cost of developing an Xbox 360 or PS3 is in the millions of dollars, as high as 10 million. Recording a studio album costs somewhere in the range of $250,000 to 1 million. The price isn't set by how much entertainment you get out of it, but how much it costs to make and distribute.
Who cares about the cost of production when your talking about entertainment value?

It shouldn't matter to someone how much it cost to make something that they are truly interested in. What should matter is how much you personally value said item.
Who's to say what art should sell for? If we are basing price simply on production cost shouldn't thousands of classic paintings cost very little seeing as though all you got there is some paint and canvas?

Clearly production costs play a pivotal role in final consumer price but with anything that is made to entertain, the real value is set within each consumer.

Bottom line, as a fan of Radiohead I understand they need to get paid, and I appreciate them offering something more to fans like myself so I am very willing to pay the money since the value of their records are worth much more to me than that price.
Old 02-15-11, 09:04 PM
Banned by request

Do you really not know how supply and demand works? If an item is at high demand with low supply, it will cost more money. An item like a painting, of which there is only one, will cost a hefty premium over something like a music album, which is produced in mass quantities.

Now, on the other hand, I have spent many hundreds of dollars on live shows, which is a one of a kind, cannot be experienced in full by proxy sort of things. But an album is the same experience every time you listen to it, and is produced in mass quantities. If a band wants me to pay more than the market average for an album, then they need to offer more content, and imo (let me repeat: in my opinion), this deluxe edition isn't it.
Old 02-15-11, 09:28 PM

haha yeah I think I have some Idea of supply and demand.

I used paintings as an example. Those SAME paintings you claim are one of a kind have copies that sell for hundreds of dollars down to a few bucks for cheaper versions too. Not really that one of a kind, and yet people still spend a great deal of money on them. An artist can make prints of his painting and still sell them for a great deal of money....Soooo yeah simply because something isn't a one-off production doesn't mean anything when it comes to value to a consumer.

Ok, lets break down the price of the 48 dollar set.

I ship a great deal of things, so I'm quite confident that it would cost around 7-10 bucks ,at least, for a shipment from Europe to the U.S.

A new 2 record set would run around 15-20 bucks

A new CD should run 10-14 bucks roundabout.

total of these comes to 32 to 44 bucks not counting the artwork included which seems rather expansive. plus you get free access prior to the release.
Old 02-16-11, 12:18 AM
Banned by request

If you were buying a separate vinyl album and a separate CD, those prices might be right. But usually new vinyl albums come shipped with a CD copy or an MP3 download link for no extra charge. So you're getting a $20 album (if that, most new vinyl releases I buy are $15 or less even with the added stuff) and some artwork that we haven't seen. I sure hope that artwork is worth $30-$35.

Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't pay. I'm saying I don't see the value in it, and saying that the music will be good (which you don't actually know for a fact) doesn't suddenly make the album worth $50.
Old 02-16-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will gladly pay $9 for the MP3s on Saturday. I don't really need physical CDs anymore, and $50 is too rich for my blood.
Old 02-16-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what if the CD is a bonus CD, called The Prince of Limbs? Didn't they do that with In Rainbows Deluxe?
Old 02-16-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I don't think the pricing is really that bad. If you don't want the deluxe, you don't have to shell out the $50. That said, there is no way I’d drop $50 for that deluxe edition. Not enough bonus materials to be worth it.
Old 02-16-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
As has been stated numerous times in this thread, THEY ARE offering the cd separately.
I'm aware of that the point I guess to me is that they know that most of their fans are going to want it right away and not have to wait the six weeks to get it on CD if that's their preferred format. I just don't see why they can't release it physically separate from the over-priced deluxe edition vinyl same day instead of making their fans wait. It's usually the opposite way around if anything for a new release (at least stuff I've ordered has been this way) as typically the CD is released first then a couple weeks later comes the vinyl. Either way I guess I don't really care a lot since I'm not a big fan of the band I just think it seems like a lame thing of them to do and comes across as a cash grab.
Old 02-16-11, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm aware of that the point I guess to me is that they know that most of their fans are going to want it right away and not have to wait the six weeks to get it on CD if that's their preferred format. I just don't see why they can't release it physically separate from the over-priced deluxe edition vinyl same day instead of making their fans wait. It's usually the opposite way around if anything for a new release (at least stuff I've ordered has been this way) as typically the CD is released first then a couple weeks later comes the vinyl. Either way I guess I don't really care a lot since I'm not a big fan of the band I just think it seems like a lame thing of them to do and comes across as a cash grab.
The cd is being released first. Even though they are taking orders, the deluxe edition doesn't come out till may.

Last edited by jsz1002; 02-16-11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-18-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Per Pitchfork, Radiohead has pushed the release up and it is available for download now.
Old 02-18-11, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup. Just checked my order status and the link was available. Pulled down mp3s in 30 seconds.
Old 02-18-11, 07:34 AM

Going to take some getting used to, that's for sure...
Old 02-18-11, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by The Black
Going to take some getting used to, that's for sure...
How many songs are there?
Old 02-18-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

8 songs. It reminds me more of Eraser than any other radiohead record. I think it's real good, though, after first listen.
Old 02-18-11, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
8 songs. It reminds me more of Eraser than any other radiohead record. I think it's real good, though, after first listen.
Wow..hopefully that $48 version has more songs. That's a lot of money for only 8 songs.
Old 02-18-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Trying to judge a Radiohead album after one listen is really like trying to analyze a Stanley Kubrick movie after one viewing. That being said, I think it's pretty pretty pretty good.
Old 02-18-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The King of Limbs:

01 Bloom
02 Morning Mr Magpie
03 Little by Little
04 Feral
05 Lotus Flower
06 Codex
07 Give Up the Ghost
08 Separator

Have to say, after all the build up, all the "studio updates", all the teasing interviews, seems a little slight at eight tracks. Haven't listened to it yet, and I'm sure it's good, but I would have liked to have seen 10-12 tracks.
Old 02-18-11, 10:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The video for the song Lotus Flower runs 5 minutes. If all the songs are around that length, wouldn't the album be 45 minutes total? Seems like a proper release to me. Haven't heard this full thing yet, but Lotus was nice. The video has Thom dancing around by himself. Reminds me of a circus for some reason.
Old 02-18-11, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by david12
The video for the song Lotus Flower runs 5 minutes. If all the songs are around that length, wouldn't the album be 45 minutes total? Seems like a proper release to me. Haven't heard this full thing yet, but Lotus was nice. The video has Thom dancing around by himself. Reminds me of a circus for some reason.
People are reporting around 37 mins.
Old 02-18-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing that Radiohead has always gotten is that you can only listen to so much of their music. So it isn't so much about the number of songs, but that having around 40 minutes of new music is enough within the confines of the album.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.