Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Radiohead LP8 (Possibly Out This Year?!)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Radiohead LP8 (Possibly Out This Year?!)

Old 02-14-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Radiohead LP8 (Possibly Out This Year?!)

What is a newspaper album supposed to be exactly? Just that the sleeve is printed from recycled newspapers or what? Also wonder why they are choosing to use 10" vinyl instead of the typical 12"?
Old 02-14-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
What is a newspaper album supposed to be exactly? Just that the sleeve is printed from recycled newspapers or what? Also wonder why they are choosing to use 10" vinyl instead of the typical 12"?
I think they have done double 10" for many of their releases.
Old 02-14-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am more than happy to buy their album for 50 bucks. It's worth it. With so much utter tripe out there, paying 100 bucks for it wouldn't be TOO far out of the question. I bought their last album in the LE for, I think, 80 or so bucks so this was an easy purchase.
Old 02-14-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Why an extra $5 for the WAV version over the 320kbps MP3s?
Higher quality + more bandwidth?
Old 02-14-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paying $50 for the deluxe is my way of balancing out for the $4 I paid for HTTT.
Old 02-14-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mkdevo
Higher quality + more bandwidth?

I think the bandwidth issue died about 10 years ago
Old 02-14-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
I think the bandwidth issue died about 10 years ago
did it? someone should tell my ISP then.
Old 02-14-11, 04:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I am more than happy to buy their album for 50 bucks. It's worth it. With so much utter tripe out there, paying 100 bucks for it wouldn't be TOO far out of the question. I bought their last album in the LE for, I think, 80 or so bucks so this was an easy purchase.
So, because other people release bad music, Radiohead is justified in charging $50 or more? Their music isn't that good, imo. I'll probably listen to it months after it comes out, like I did with In Rainbows.
Old 02-14-11, 04:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by mkdevo
did it? someone should tell my ISP then.

The Globe and Mail - Article
The fact that Bell is able to sell 40 GB of data to wholesalers for $4.25 and still make a profit demonstrates that the true cost of data transfer is well below the 10.5 cents per gigabyte they are charging wholesalers. One TPIA provider agreed the 3 cents per gigabyte figure is probably close to the true cost.
And that's in Canada. It can only be cheaper in the US and the rest of the developed world.

Anyway, my point was that $5 extra for a practically indistinguishable increase in sound quality is kind of lame; not entirely unexpected from this band... just disappointing.
Old 02-14-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I noticed that they charge more for higher quality Trash Humpers files as well: http://buy.trashhumpers.com/pages/Tr...spx?pageid=102
Old 02-14-11, 04:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

a) WTF is Trash Humpers?
b) The irony!
Old 02-14-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Bandwidth?
Old 02-14-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Anyway, my point was that $5 extra for a practically indistinguishable increase in sound quality is kind of lame; not entirely unexpected from this band... just disappointing.
I don't really understand your complaint. If you find the difference in sound quality "practically indistinguishable" then you wouldn't any premium for it, so you're not the target market for the WAVs. The option is there for people who can hear and value the difference in sound quality and most of those people expect to pay a premium.

I also don't really understand your "not entirely unexpected from this band" comment. Isn't "this band" the one that offered a previous digital album on a totally optional donation basis?
Old 02-14-11, 06:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
I don't really understand your complaint. If you find the difference in sound quality "practically indistinguishable" then you wouldn't any premium for it, so you're not the target market for the WAVs. The option is there for people who can hear and value the difference in sound quality and most of those people expect to pay a premium.
Trust me, I'm not upset or anything. I just think it's strange. I would never expect to pay a $5 premium for WAV over 320kbps. Even "How to Destroy Angels" only charged $2 for the upgrade. If the cheaper option was 160kbps or 128kbps? Sure, charge me $5 for the WAV. I don't think it's a bandwidth issue, though. It's pure greed.

I also don't really understand your "not entirely unexpected from this band" comment. Isn't "this band" the one that offered a previous digital album on a totally optional donation basis?
ehh, you're taking me too seriously. But that comment was in regard to them releasing In Rainbows in 160kbps (which is most definitely distinguishable from CD quality). At the time, fans didn't know it was going to be 160kbps until they got an email update the day before release, 9 days after most people placed their pre-orders. It wasn't a deal-breaker for anyone, I'm sure, but this new album's purchasing options are reminiscent of that vague sense of disrespect towards the fans, in my opinion.

Anyway, to each their own, right? It wasn't my intention to threadcrap or anything. Radiohead fans are happy today, so let's just enjoy that... until the album is released.
Old 02-14-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It sucks that the CD won't be available for 6 weeks. I wish you could get the digital version for free like with "In Rainbows". Last time around I downloaded it for free and was more than happy to give them my money when they put out the CD. The same would happen this time, they would literally have to put out a CD composed of 74 minutes of the sounds of them washing dishes to get me to even consider passing on it. The CD will be mine on March 28th but I'd like to be able to listen to it in the meantime along with the rest of the world without having to buy it twice. They have the right idea with the deluxe edition preorder where you get the download to listen to until the CD ships, I just don't want to pay $48-53.

Or here's a thought: how about they push the limits of the system and actually try having a CD printed and ready to go as fast as possible? I doubt they could do it in 5 days but I'm pretty sure they could still surprise people. Didn't Jack White have an unusually-short announcement-to-physical-release timeframe with one of his side projects?

Ultimately the "pay what you want" model would have been repeated again this time around if you could actually trust people to pay for it. For every person who felt heroic for paying more (and I think that's almost as foolish as taking it for free) there was probably 100 who didn't pay anything.
Old 02-14-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
So, because other people release bad music, Radiohead is justified in charging $50 or more? Their music isn't that good, imo. I'll probably listen to it months after it comes out, like I did with In Rainbows.
Well, if people actually supported bands who are worth a damn, maybe the music industry wouldn't be filled with total crap.

And yes they are justified in charging fifty bucks or more. True fans who appreciate what they are putting out there SHOULD be willing to pay more.

For normal non-fans, maybe not, but So what? Real fans are not bitching about it because they are happy to be getting new music from one of the best bands of all time. I am happy to give them 50 bucks and hope this will keep them making good music.

I'd pay over a hundred for a new album from several of my favorite artists. Tom Waits, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, QOTSA. Thankfully I don't have to but if they made it available like Radiohead does, I probably would.
Old 02-15-11, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That makes no sense at all. The fact that a band you consider "good" doesn't automatically justify them over-pricing this album. Honestly I'm not really much of a fan of them anyways, but even bands I do like I wouldn't purchase an album from that is priced this way. It seems that all Radiohead is doing by pricing their album this way is giving a big f you to their true fans. There are people who support the "bands with talent" and the industry is still filled with crap its just something inevitable.
Old 02-15-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I nearly busted a nut when I found out the new album was dropping on Saturday. This is the most anticipated album ever for me, I'm a diehard Radiohead fan.
Old 02-15-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
That makes no sense at all. The fact that a band you consider "good" doesn't automatically justify them over-pricing this album. Honestly I'm not really much of a fan of them anyways, but even bands I do like I wouldn't purchase an album from that is priced this way. It seems that all Radiohead is doing by pricing their album this way is giving a big f you to their true fans. There are people who support the "bands with talent" and the industry is still filled with crap its just something inevitable.
I'm a huge Radiohead fan and I have no interest in paying $50 for a deluxe version of their new album. But how is something like that being released taking a dump on fans? I'm sure there are other people out there that are thrilled they can get such a release.

What I am disappointed by is the fact that they aren't offering a normal CD version at the same exact time.
Old 02-15-11, 02:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no problems with bands releasing deluxe editions. I've bought deluxe editions of albums by Bowie, NIN, and Depeche Mode, all for more than $50. But I never thought the artist deserved more than the price of a CD simply because I like them more than most other bands. I was willing to pay more to get more, but all of those deluxe editions featured multiple discs of extra content (Blu-rays from NIN, demos, singles, and remixes from Depeche Mode, singles, different mixes, surround sound versions, and a live show from Bowie) in addition to any physical extras. Radiohead appears to be charging $50 for the same album three times plus artwork. I don't see the value in that, and I can't swallow the argument that people should pay it simply because it's Radiohead (or [insert favorite artist here]). If you feel it's worth it, great. I don't.
Old 02-15-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Trust me, I'm not upset or anything. I just think it's strange. I would never expect to pay a $5 premium for WAV over 320kbps. Even "How to Destroy Angels" only charged $2 for the upgrade. If the cheaper option was 160kbps or 128kbps? Sure, charge me $5 for the WAV. I don't think it's a bandwidth issue, though. It's pure greed.
Well, the line between greed and good capitalism is always a little blurred, isn't it?

It wasn't a deal-breaker for anyone, I'm sure, but this new album's purchasing options are reminiscent of that vague sense of disrespect towards the fans, in my opinion.
I have a hard time seeing added options for being able to hear the album early as being disrespectful toward fans. It's all optional and fans who really want to hear the album early will pay for whatever option they feel is worth it. Everyone else can get the regular album on it's standard release date at regular prices. I will probably do the latter, but I certainly don't feel disrespected by the former options being available at those prices.
Old 02-15-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm a huge Radiohead fan and I have no interest in paying $50 for a deluxe version of their new album. But how is something like that being released taking a dump on fans? I'm sure there are other people out there that are thrilled they can get such a release.

What I am disappointed by is the fact that they aren't offering a normal CD version at the same exact time.
It seems to be shitty towards fans because how is a 2 LP set worth $50? It has a CD with it but that shouldn't matter that much. I've bought records that were $20 or under and had a CD included with them. Social Distortion's latest album for instance was 2 LP's and came with a CD for around $20. This just seems like a cash grab by the band because they know they have enough fanboys who will be dumb enough to pay the $50. Just slapping the words deluxe edition on something doesn't automatically make it worth more money if you ask me. Also the fact that they don't appear to be offering the CD separately and only offer the over-priced record set or the digital is kind of lame. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-15-11 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

As has been stated numerous times in this thread, THEY ARE offering the cd separately.
Old 02-15-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
As has been stated numerous times in this thread, THEY ARE offering the cd separately.
Not only that, the CD and the LP are being released in March, BEFORE the deluxe version in May.

Some of you (not cdollaz, who I've quoted) are complaining just to complain, I think.
Old 02-15-11, 05:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I take back my criticism about this release. Radiohead is offering real, albeit poor, fans some reasonable options.

1. Pay $9 for the MP3s. Hear the album on Saturday.
2. Pay $14 for the WAVs. Hear the album on Saturday.
3. Pay $9 for the CD. Hear the album 5 1/2 weeks after the rest of the world.
4. Download it illegally. Hear the album on Saturday. Buy the CD eventually... maybe.

I imagine a lot of people who aren't willing to pay the $50 will go for option 4.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.