DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Led Zeppelin, Album by Album: Houses of the Holy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/575484-led-zeppelin-album-album-houses-holy.html)

Fist of Doom 06-21-10 08:57 AM

Led Zeppelin, Album by Album: Houses of the Holy

Houses of the Holy: Released March 1973

Personnel:
John Bonham – drums, backing vocals
John Paul Jones – organ, Mellotron, bass guitar, backing vocals, piano, synthesizers, harpsichord
Jimmy Page – acoustic, electric, and pedal steel guitar, production
Robert Plant –lead vocals and backing vocals.

Track listing:
The Song Remains the Same (Page, Plant)
The Rain Song (Page, Plant)
Over the Hills and Far Away (Page, Plant)
The Crunge (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant)

Dancing Days (Page, Plant)
D'yer Mak'er (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant)
No Quarter (Jones, Page, Plant)
The Ocean (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant)

This is the first Zep album to have all original songs. (Plus we get an actual album name!)

Hokeyboy 06-21-10 09:16 AM

Re: Led Zeppelin, Album by Album: Houses of the Holy

Hmm... yeah this album is near-perfect (The Crunge is bizarre, albeit fascinating filler). Every other track is an absolute killer. TSRTS and Rain Song constitute one of the greatest album openers in rock history. The former is all power, the latter is all reflection, and both are magnificent. Except for Crunge, every other song is top notch. No Quarter is a Top 5 LZ song for me, easily JPJ's crowning achivement with the band.

Probably LZ's finest album, although III is my nostalgic favorite.

Robot Rock 06-21-10 09:16 AM

You do mean "original" songs, right? Har har.

This is probably my favorite Zeppelin album. It has a lot of variety on here which makes into the only non-boring Zep album for me.

cdollaz 06-21-10 09:18 AM

May be my favorite Zep album. Rain Song is definitely my favorite Zep song.

HUG-H 06-21-10 10:02 AM

Always loved "Over The Hills", especially the distant harpsichord part.

"The Crunge" was unseemly at first, but I love that they tried something new. Probably paved the way for them to do rockers with more groove later like "The Wanton Song" and "Trampled Under Foot".

slop101 06-21-10 10:04 AM

I hate Dancing Days - probably my least favorite Zeppelin song, besides that, the album's aces, though really played out.

Jason 06-21-10 10:44 AM

No Quarter is my second favorite Zep song. We won't get to my favorite till the last album.

Supermallet 06-21-10 02:07 PM

Definitely Zep's best album. Everyone's in top form here, the songwriting is stellar, the musical styles are varied, it's a blast. And it's hard to beat an opener like The Song Remains the Same and a closer like The Ocean. They'd never be this focused or this good again.

Rypro 525 06-21-10 02:39 PM

Yep, my fave Zep album as well. Hell, if i ever decide to get married, i would try to talk my then wife into slow dancing to 'the Rain Song'

Hokeyboy 06-21-10 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 10224876)
Yep, my fave Zep album as well. Hell, if i ever decide to get married, i would try to talk my then wife into slow dancing to 'the Rain Song'

Funny... I want Rain Song to be played at my funeral. Or should I say, "Schwarma?"

cungar 06-21-10 04:17 PM

Isn't The Crunge supposed to be a James Brown knock off? I always thought it was pretty cool. According to Wikipedia, it uses the following different time signatures:

Time signatures
Some of the humor of the song derives from the juxtaposition of James Brown funk against shifting time signatures. One way to count out the song is as follows:

Intro measure:
1 x 9/8

Part 1:
7 x 9/8 (or 4/8 + 5/8)
1 x 8/8 (or 4/8 + 4/8)
Part 2:
3 x 4/4
1 x 5/8
1 x 2/4
3 x 4/4
1 x 5/8
1 x 2/4
3 x 4/4
1 x 2/4
1 x 2/8

then return to "Part 1", play through pattern two more times, end with roughly
23 x 9/8 (last one ends in the middle of the measure, with drums ending on the 5th beat and the synth continuing for a beat or two).

Rypro 525 06-21-10 04:19 PM

I was wondering too, kind of anyways. If the song Houses of the Holy been included (and the other songs from that session that ended up on physical grafiti), would the album still hold the high esteem it does now

Flashback 06-23-10 01:06 PM

Love this album - not my favorite - but damn the opening few songs just sucks me right in.

HUG-H 06-23-10 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 10225063)
I was wondering too, kind of anyways. If the song Houses of the Holy been included (and the other songs from that session that ended up on physical grafiti), would the album still hold the high esteem it does now

I always thought that "HoTH" should have been put where "Dancing Days" was put on the album at the start of side 2. It would have made Physical Graffiti less interesting if they'd have swapped the 2 and "DD" was put on PG, but I'm happy the two ended up where they did.

wishbone 06-23-10 09:23 PM

"Where's that confounded bridge?!"

Houses of the Holy... was a really bitchin' album.
Rugburns - "Me and Eddie Vedder"

My first CD player had a favourite track playlist that you could program by CD. I think I omitted "No Quarter" at the time -- probably too slow -- but I gave the song a better listen in college and it is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs now.

"The Song Remains the Same" is a great opener for the many classic tracks on this album.

RagingBull80 06-23-10 09:54 PM

I haven't participated in any of the Led Zeppelin "Album by Album" threads but I thought I'd chime in to say that this is my favorite Zeppelin album. I believe that this is their peak.

Rypro 525 06-23-10 11:06 PM

Re: "Where's that confounded bridge?!"

Originally Posted by wishbone (Post 10229318)
Houses of the Holy... was a really bitchin' album.
Rugburns - "Me and Eddie Vedder"

My first CD player had a favourite track playlist that you could program by CD. I think I omitted "No Quarter" at the time -- probably too slow -- but I gave the song a better listen in college and it is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs now.

I've never tried it, but "No Quarter" sounds like the absolute perfect toking song