Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Led Zeppelin box set to buy?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the Led Zeppelin album to album threads. You guys actually make want to plunge into getting all their works. I currently only have II and IV. But which set to get?

I can get this 1993 The Complete Studio Recordings remastered set USED for $60.

Or i can get the 2008 Definitive Collection (Mini LP Replica) NEW for about $120.

Are there any difference in sound quality? Is the 2008 edition better in sound or am i just paying for a prettier package?

I am aware that this is not the SHM format.
Old 06-18-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Which Led Zeppelin box set to buy?

I have the 93 set, don't know on the other one. My guess is that it's amplified more if that's their idea of remastering? Maybe not though?

a place where they have a lot of this kind of discussion is this forum:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

there probably is something on there already about this
Old 06-18-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember picking up the '93 version at Amoeba a few years back when I traded in a ton of old vinyl. They happened to have a mint used copy on the shelves for around $65 or so. Best single music purchase I've ever made. It seems that no matter my mood, Zeppelin always has an era to match it.
Old 06-18-10, 09:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 93 box has shitty packaging, but if it's half the price of the new set, go for it.
Old 06-18-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think there's any difference in sound quality, but the packaging for the mini LP's is fantastic. It's detailed down to the type of paper used. Plus you get the expanded versions of Coda & The Song Remains The Same, which you don't on the '93 version.

I paid $150 for it & have never regretted it.
Old 06-19-10, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The 93 box has shitty packaging, but if it's half the price of the new set, go for it.
I guess instead of thinking it as "half the price" I would look at it as "only $60 more" for better packaging and getting a NEW set. It would look nice next to the Beatles mono set.

But, if price is a big consideration, the '93 set isn't bad.
Old 06-19-10, 10:16 AM

Yeah, i am still torn. I would rather have the Definitive Collection (Mini LP Replica). But at the same time i'll feel a little dirty purchasing what seems to be the same remaster as the 93 version. Obviously in the end, it's about the music. It's more of a principle thing, than a money issue. But still...I can't help eyeing the LP Replicas.
Old 06-19-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Get neither and instead seek out the original 80s CDs.
Old 06-19-10, 10:59 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I guess instead of thinking it as "half the price" I would look at it as "only $60 more" for better packaging and getting a NEW set. It would look nice next to the Beatles mono set.

But, if price is a big consideration, the '93 set isn't bad.
I think the only time I'd say "It's only $60 more" is if I'm adding accessories to a new car.
Old 06-19-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget the CD sets, and buy 'em all on vinyl.
Old 06-19-10, 11:19 AM

My advice would be to save up and get the Japanese SHM-CD boxed set.
Old 06-19-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rainet
Yeah, i am still torn. I would rather have the Definitive Collection (Mini LP Replica). But at the same time i'll feel a little dirty purchasing what seems to be the same remaster as the 93 version. Obviously in the end, it's about the music. It's more of a principle thing, than a money issue. But still...I can't help eyeing the LP Replicas.
I'd get the 93 set and use the extra money to buy more music- in this case stuff like the bbc sessions, led zep- dvd, how the west was won, etc.
Old 06-19-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is nothing wrong with the grey box set. It's a good price, and I don't think the packaging is shitty.

There's no reason to shell out $60.00 for artwork.
Old 06-19-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I don't think there's any difference in sound quality, but the packaging for the mini LP's is fantastic. It's detailed down to the type of paper used. Plus you get the expanded versions of Coda & The Song Remains The Same, which you don't on the '93 version.

I paid $150 for it & have never regretted it.
The 93 boxset does have the extended version of Coda. The only thing missing in that original box is the live album The Song Remains the Same.

I just picked up the 93 boxset and got the live album separately, plus How the West Was Won and the BBC Sessions. All that you should be able to find for less than the '08 box.
Old 06-19-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

There was also a four disc box set from the early 90's with most of the catalog, and a two disc set that finished off the "complete" catalog. Between the two, they have all the studio tracks. You might be able to pick these up really cheap.
Old 06-19-10, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Get neither and instead seek out the original 80s CDs.
Barry Diament mastering =
Old 06-19-10, 01:53 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
There is nothing wrong with the grey box set. It's a good price, and I don't think the packaging is shitty.

There's no reason to shell out $60.00 for artwork.
I always hated how they stuck two albums in each book, and the sleeves that kept the CD often led to scratching.
Old 06-19-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I think the only time I'd say "It's only $60 more" is if I'm adding accessories to a new car.
That's a steak dinner at a decent restaurant
Old 06-19-10, 02:55 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, but the idea of just throwing on an extra $60 is what I'm balking at. I might pay $60 for a steak dinner, but I'm not thinking that it's JUST $60, if that makes sense.
Old 06-19-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Imprint
Barry Diament mastering =
I thought the 80's CDs were made from used vinyl masters. They always sounded like that to me.
Old 06-19-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

IF, I did not have any or practically none Zep I'd get that Japanese set(on sale). As long as the CODA disc is the extended one. Looks like they give you all the cover variations from intial LP release of In Through The Out Door. I count five in the picture, thought there were seven, one for each person in the bar.
Old 06-20-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Looks like they give you all the cover variations from intial LP release of In Through The Out Door. I count five in the picture, thought there were seven, one for each person in the bar.
There are actually six. The 6th one is inside the 'paper bag' cover with the CD in the group on the right. So you get five empty covers and one containing the CD. There's also an extra cover for the first album, but the only difference is turquoise lettering. Initial pressings had this color instead of orange.

Again, this is a beautiful set & unless $60 is an object, I can't recommend it highly enough. These are EXACT replicas of the albums & Zeppelin had some of the best album art of the 70's. It's got the spinning wheel in III, the cutout windows for Physical Graffiti along with the inner sleeves depicting different scenes in each window so you can swap them out. The covers are embossed when they should be, have rough parchment type paper for the inner sleeves where they should, hell it's even got the removable banner covering the kids' asses for Houses of the Holy & a tiny, tiny sticker for Presence that was on the outer wrapping (though they leave it up to you whether to affix or not).
Old 06-20-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

There are actually six. The 6th one is inside the 'paper bag' cover with the CD in the group on the right. So you get five empty covers and one containing the CD. There's also an extra cover for the first album, but the only difference is turquoise lettering. Initial pressings had this color instead of orange.

Again, this is a beautiful set & unless $60 is an object, I can't recommend it highly enough. These are EXACT replicas of the albums & Zeppelin had some of the best album art of the 70's. It's got the spinning wheel in III, the cutout windows for Physical Graffiti along with the inner sleeves depicting different scenes in each window so you can swap them out. The covers are embossed when they should be, have rough parchment type paper for the inner sleeves where they should, hell it's even got the removable banner covering the kids' asses for Houses of the Holy & a tiny, tiny sticker for Presence that was on the outer wrapping (though they leave it up to you whether to affix or not).
Now I want this.
Old 06-20-10, 09:54 PM

Ok, against my better judgement, I picked up the replicas set. And wow, it is very nice. I figured this is one of those things that if i bought the older set i would always wonder. I am very pleased though. Although i am still trying to decide wither to depose the plastic cd sleeves or keep them. As i don't want the case to stick to the sleeve as i pull them out or in. I also didn't realize how much i missed records. Or more to the point, my childhood memories of records. This is a wonderful reminder.
Old 07-04-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rainet
Ok, against my better judgement, I picked up the replicas set. And wow, it is very nice. I figured this is one of those things that if i bought the older set i would always wonder. I am very pleased though. Although i am still trying to decide wither to depose the plastic cd sleeves or keep them. As i don't want the case to stick to the sleeve as i pull them out or in. I also didn't realize how much i missed records. Or more to the point, my childhood memories of records. This is a wonderful reminder.
Resurrecting this from a couple of weeks ago. I've seen a few listings for the Definitive Collection on the 'bay for as low as $100.00. Any bootleg issues I should be watchful for, or is this a legitimate price? I can see the Japanese pressings are going for several hundred dollars, but the domestic release seems to be priced in the $150 range. Any tips on what to look for if I'm buying used?