Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ozzy Osbourne - Scream (New album 2010)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Wow, just, wow.

What a stinking pile of cattle excrement.

OK, it's not that bad, but compared to classics like Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman, and No Rest for the Wicked it is.

I've got a rather lengthy, detailed review if you're up to reading the depressing details.

http://www.vistarecords.proboards.co...ead=226&page=1

Suffice it to say that producer Kevin Churko has done Ozzy no favors.

If you're a true glutton for punishment you can listen to the album here:
http://www.myspace.com/ozzyosbourne

Scream - the new album from Ozzy Osbourne.

Scream - what you'll want to do about 3 songs into the album....

Last edited by B5Erik; 06-17-10 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-17-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Ozzy Osbourne - Scream (New album 2010)

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Wow, just, wow.

What a stinking pile of cattle extrement.

OK, it's not that bad, but compared to classics like Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman, and No Rest for the Wicked it is.

I've got a rather lengthy, detailed review if you're up to reading the depressing details.

http://www.vistarecords.proboards.co...ead=226&page=1

Suffice it to say that producer Kevin Churko has done Ozzy no favors.

If you're a true glutton for punishment you can listen to the album here:
http://www.myspace.com/ozzyosbourne

Scream - the new album from Ozzy Osbourne.

Scream - what you'll want to do about 3 songs into the album....
He really hasnt done anything great since No More Tears. Perry Mason/See You on the Other Side are really the only 2 songe I like from him since NMT
Old 06-17-10, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe he should get Zakk Wylde to come back...
Old 06-17-10, 06:30 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
Maybe he should get Zakk Wylde to come back...
Nooooo! It was exactly that period when Ozzy lost me. He needs to go get Jake E. Lee.
Old 06-17-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Fuck Jake E. Lee. He needs Brad Gillis, man!
Old 06-17-10, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

He really hasnt done anything great since No More Tears. Perry Mason/See You on the Other Side are really the only 2 songe I like from him since NMT
I disagree. Ozzmosis was a great album
Old 06-17-10, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, Ozzmosis was very great. And Down To Earth was solid also. Black Rain was a shit sandwich. And Scream is even worse than it. Those 2 sound like all the other modern-style metal, which is mostly shit as well.
Old 06-17-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He should have brought back Zakk. I was hoping maybe the would release a deluxe version of Scream with maybe a bonus concert dvd but that won't happen.

I heard later this year there will be new remastered 30th anniversary editions of Blizzard and Diary with the original Daisley and Kerslake bass and drum recordings.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=140102
Old 06-17-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The only song worth mentioning on Scream is Diggin' Me Down. If he were to do another album with Black Sabbath, I hope it would sound something like that.

"Diggin' Me Down," with its Sabbath-meets-Metallica riffing, shows more musical ambition than anything Ozzy's done since "No More Tears." The acoustic opening of this six-minute track is reminiscent of "Diary Of A Madman," and nearly every bit as good. And the lyrics (no matter who wrote them), in which Ozzy seems to be trying to bring on the Second Coming by calling Jesus out, are some of the best of Ozzy's solo career. If you never thought he'd create another epic on the scale of "Revelation (Mother Earth)" or "Diary," you'll be proven pleasantly wrong.
http://www.metalunderground.com/revi...releaseid=3632
Old 06-17-10, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys do realize that the album was written before Gus G was brought into the band?

Also, the producer wrote all of the music anyways too
Old 06-17-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I always thought Zakk Wylde's playing was lousy. That insipid harmonic/vibrato shtick of his is like a cheese grater to the brain.

Back to Ozzy, I've only heard the title track and it's god-awful. Based on the reviews I've read so far, I can safely give this album the old El Paso.
Old 06-17-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll check it out because I'm a big fan of Gus G's playing, but "Scream" sounded horrible. Was very unimpressed.
Old 06-17-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got it on my comp, just haven't listened to it yet. But nothing I've heard from the snippets gives me any hope. He needs to either do another Sabbath record or call it a day.
Old 06-17-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Was planning on getting this since its only $7.99 next week. All these negative reviews are making me nervous but I'll probably wind up getting it anyways.
Old 06-17-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I'd prefer no new material from either camp, if this is all they have to offer us.
I agree. I just think he'd have better luck with Sabbath (and Iommi on guitar) than his solo work.
Old 06-17-10, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...lots of hate here. I like the 1 song I have heard so far.
Old 06-17-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Then you'll love the whole album.
Old 06-18-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JAA
Nooooo! It was exactly that period when Ozzy lost me. He needs to go get Jake E. Lee.
Right on, Bark at the Moon and The Ultimate Sin are IMO Ozzy's best stuff, tho not by far because of those two masterpieces before them with the late great Randy Rhoades, No rest for the Wicked is a great album, No more Tears was really good, Ozzmosis is really good and contains won of my faves from Ozzy "My Jekyll Doesn't Hide", after Ozzmosis for me is when it went downhill, Down to Earth is pretty crappy accept for two songs "Facing Hell" and "Dreamer", Black Rain totally sucked don't own it never will, then now i'm hearing so much negative stuff about the new album, i have only heard the first released track and wasn't impressed, i will definately give it a shot but my hopes are dim.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1TKtXXcqcHE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1TKtXXcqcHE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-18-10, 02:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ozzy has only ever been as good as his collaborators. He needs to take more care in choosing them.
Old 06-19-10, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

The biggest problem besides the mediocre songwriting is the horrible production. What the fuck was going on in that studio!? I rarely hear such noisy, compressed crap.
Old 06-20-10, 11:50 PM

I gave it a quick spin on my ipod tonight and so far I like it. I admit I was on foot and wasn't 100% focused while listening, but I'll say so far that the music is strong and Ozzy is... well, Ozzy. I think the lyrics are cheesy, but it's got that same commercial vibe that Ultimate Sin had (obviously nowhere near as good - I'm taking vibe here people) mixed with heavier guitars. Despite any Zakk input on this album (btw...I really hope Gus G doesn't get too comfortable with those pings & squeals) you can tell Ozzy wants to reach back a bit. There are classic piano parts more reminiscent of Blizzard than the Zakk era and one especially cool Gus G lick really stood out during the solo in "I Want it More". It was very Randy Rhoads. I also heard some Jake style rhythms mixed in as well. I won't form an overall opinion until I give it a couple more spins, but it definitely does not suck. I've been listening to Ozzy all of my life and bought Blizzard and Diary (and so on) when they were released so I'm far from a newbie. That being said, I'm not a fan of the Zakk era and only own 2 Ozzy/Zakk albums.
Old 06-21-10, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope you are right. I am waiting for my copy to arrive from Amazon. Call me a sucker but he is one of my favorite artists and I buy all of his albums even if I had not heard or previewed any of the songs.

If anyone cares you can get a deluxe edition at Best Buy for $16.99 that comes with a T-Shirt.

Old 06-21-10, 06:30 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Road To Ruin
I gave it a quick spin on my ipod tonight and so far I like it. I admit I was on foot and wasn't 100% focused while listening, but I'll say so far that the music is strong and Ozzy is... well, Ozzy. I think the lyrics are cheesy, but it's got that same commercial vibe that Ultimate Sin had (obviously nowhere near as good - I'm taking vibe here people) mixed with heavier guitars. Despite any Zakk input on this album (btw...I really hope Gus G doesn't get too comfortable with those pings & squeals) you can tell Ozzy wants to reach back a bit. There are classic piano parts more reminiscent of Blizzard than the Zakk era and one especially cool Gus G lick really stood out during the solo in "I Want it More". It was very Randy Rhoads. I also heard some Jake style rhythms mixed in as well. I won't form an overall opinion until I give it a couple more spins, but it definitely does not suck. I've been listening to Ozzy all of my life and bought Blizzard and Diary (and so on) when they were released so I'm far from a newbie. That being said, I'm not a fan of the Zakk era and only own 2 Ozzy/Zakk albums.
Nice review. Now you've got an old-time fan like me curious again (when I had all but given up).
Old 06-21-10, 01:33 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I did not like the last two (three if you count the live record) by Ozzy. I felt he simply had no gas left in the tank.

But this one...this one is solid. Miles ahead of his last two and goes back to a somewhat "classic" sound that Ozzy once had.

I got to give it another spin, but I did like it on the first pass.

Last edited by macnorton; 06-22-10 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
I did not like the last two (three if you can't the live record) by Ozzy. I felt he simply had no gas left in the tank.

But this one...this one is solid. Miles ahead of his last two and goes back to a somewhat "classic" sound that Ozzy once had.

I got to give it another spin, but I did like it on the first pass.
Glad to hear the positive stuff, will pick it up tomorrow @ best buy for $7.99, going there anyway to get Vince Neil's new solo cd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.