Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"Storm Corrosion" ft Steven Wilson, Mikael Åkerfeld, &NOT MikePortnoy in the Works!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

"Storm Corrosion" ft Steven Wilson, Mikael Åkerfeld, &NOT MikePortnoy in the Works!

Old 05-23-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PORCUPINE TREE's Steven Wilson revealed to Chordstruck Magazine that he has begun work on material for his much-anticipated collaboration with Mikael Åkerfeldt from OPETH and Mike Portnoy from DREAM THEATER. "I started writing with Mikael last month, finally," he said. "It's still in the very early days.

"We wrote about 15 minutes of music last month in my studio near London and we're very excited about it.

"I think people are going to be very surprised by the direction.

"If they're expecting some kind of death-metal-progressive rock, they're going to be surprised [because] it's not like that."

He continued, "If you put the two of us together, the last thing we're going to do is something similar to what people already know from our most high-profile project.

"It's very arty, very ambitious; it's going to be epic.

"We're still writing.

"[It's going to be] very dark, very twisted, very experimental.

"It's still rock music, but we're trying to do something really, really special and really different with this."

In a September 2009 interview with Australia's PyroMusic.net, Mike Portnoy stated about the project, "The three of us each mentioned wanting to work with each other years ago, and since then it's kind of been this rumor that won't go away. I think all three of us regret ever mentioning it at this point, but I think the hype or anticipation around it has surpassed anything we possibly could realistically deliver. So I think now all three of us are kind of hesitant to do it, because there's been so much hype about it. (laughs)

"This is an example of where the Internet can somehow be a bad thing and I think... that's why I try to keep as tight of a lid on things as possible when we're making a record, because anything that is said or leaked or heard, it opens up this can of worms of discussion and once people start discussing and discussing and discussing and dissecting and anticipating, they build up such a level of hype and expectations in their head that it's impossible to ever satisfy it. So that's one of the bad things about the Internet.

"In answer to your question though, I think we'd love to work together, but at this point, we just don't know when."

This is like a dream come true, as 3 of prog rock/metal's 3 greatest minds working together
Old 05-23-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Prog Rock Project ft Steven Wilson, Mikael Åkerfeld, and Mike Portnoy in the Work

Wow. This could be very cool. Hope it actually happens.
Old 05-24-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Prog Rock Project ft Steven Wilson, Mikael Åkerfeld, and Mike Portnoy in the Work

I remember hearing about this years ago, glad to see theyre getting the ball rolling.
Old 05-24-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

That sounds pretty cool. Wilson hasn't led me wrong, yet. Well, Blackfield didn't really turn my crank.
Old 05-25-10, 07:09 AM

Yeah, I hope this comes to fruition. I'd be all over this.
Old 05-25-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

On one hand I'd love to see Mikael Åkerfeldt in Damnation mode again. On the other hand I cannot stand Transatlantic, which is what this project sounds like.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this.
Old 05-25-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm immediately interested in anything featuring Mikael Åkerfeldt, though I'd rather see him do something with the defunct Sorskogen, featuring Dan Swano, than anything else.
Old 05-25-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I expect as they said this won't sound like what we're expecting.

I'll tell you, I'd much rather have Gavin Harrison on drums than Portnoy. Portnoy has gotten worse and worse with overplaying this past decade. Just Wilson and Akerfeldt together is enough. Portnoy's name will be there to sell it to all the DT fans.

Either way I'm glad it's happening - it seemed it was dead in the water.
Old 05-25-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Portnoy has gotten worse and worse with overplaying this past decade.
I wouldn't say he's gotten worse, but the overplaying is spot on. I've said it before, but DT really needs an outside producer on their next album to reign Portnoy and Petrucci in. They have both gotten too excessive to the point their recent albums seem are bloated.
Old 05-25-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I wouldn't say he's gotten worse, but the overplaying is spot on. I've said it before, but DT really needs an outside producer on their next album to reign Portnoy and Petrucci in. They have both gotten too excessive to the point their recent albums seem are bloated.
Agreed 100%.

I remember first hearing "Misunderstood" on 6DOIT and really loving the vibe. There's the slow mellow part after the 1st chorus, and all of a sudden here's Portnoy BS doodlings on the toms, hi-hats...it sounds like someone was having a seizure behind the kit. He couldn't just fucking layoff for a minute? And how many times do we need to hear the "Under a Glass Moon" fill? Portnoy seriously needs to freshen his playing. It's no wonder Harrison unseated him as best prog drummer in Modern Drummer.
Old 05-27-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bunkaroo, I wasn't sure what exactly you were talking about in "Misunderstood" which is my favorite song on 6DOIT, so I just listened to it again. I think you might have ruined the beginning of that song for me.
Old 05-27-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
bunkaroo, I wasn't sure what exactly you were talking about in "Misunderstood" which is my favorite song on 6DOIT, so I just listened to it again. I think you might have ruined the beginning of that song for me.
Sorry dude!

It's like someone was trying out a new drum kit in the next room or something.
Old 05-28-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I saw them on that tour, Portnoy played a song with his little kid sitting on his lap. I thought it was just for show, but it's possible the kid was out there to perform his part.
Old 09-09-10, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Portnoy is out.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=145629

PORCUPINE TREE's Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt from OPETH have set "Storm Corrosion" have set as the working album title of their much-anticipated collaboration project. In a brand new interview with U.K.'s Classic Rock, Åkerfeldt revealed that the writing process for the CD is now well under way. "I got together recently with Steven at his house, and we wrote a new tune straight away," says Åkerfeldt. "Of course, with the two of us involved, it was 10 minutes long. And it came out so well that we started working on a second one as well." Although DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy was initially supposed to be part of the project, it now appears that he will no longer be involved. "To be honest, there's just no room for drums on what we've done so far. I called Mike up, and he was cool about it. He's got so much going on anyway, and I'm sure we will work together in the future." Regarding the overall musical direction of "Storm Corrosion", Wilson wrote in a recent Twitter posting, "Don't expect any metal on this one."
Old 09-09-10, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No drums? Interesting.
Old 09-09-10, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Portnoy not being involved made me breathe a sigh of relief. It's not like I dislike him, but I didn't want to see his production tactics and current drumming style on this project. Wilson and Åkerfeldt are going to come up with something cool and listenable I have no doubt - drums or no drums.
Old 03-12-12, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up for preorder http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/new...order-20120309
Out May 8
Old 03-12-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm immediately interested in anything featuring Mikael Åkerfeldt, though I'd rather see him do something with the defunct Sorskogen, featuring Dan Swano, than anything else.
Or a U.S tour for Bloodbath
Old 03-12-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by neocheddar02
A word of caution: I have had nothing but bad experiences with RR pre-orders through The End as their affiliate. I didn't get my copy of Heritage until two weeks after release date. They also charge you in full at the time of the pre-order. I challenged them on this and they said it's to help cover shipping costs. WTF? You don't incur the shipping cost until, you know, SHIPPING.

It's too bad because a long time ago The End was kick ass.
Old 03-13-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
A word of caution: I have had nothing but bad experiences with RR pre-orders through The End as their affiliate. I didn't get my copy of Heritage until two weeks after release date. They also charge you in full at the time of the pre-order. I challenged them on this and they said it's to help cover shipping costs. WTF? You don't incur the shipping cost until, you know, SHIPPING.

It's too bad because a long time ago The End was kick ass.
I agree. The End is terrible. I don't remember what album finally made me give up on them, but it was over three weeks late. I ended up just going to Best Buy to get the album.
Old 03-14-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always pre-order the Steven Wilson related stuff from Burning Shed in the UK. Shipping price isn't bad and he's got a direct affiliation so I know it gets more $ in his pocket.
Old 03-14-12, 09:26 PM

I was about to order something else from Burning Shed, anyway, but was hoping to find the CD/Blu-ray cheaper somewhere else and without having to order the vinyl too.
Old 03-14-12, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
I was about to order something else from Burning Shed, anyway, but was hoping to find the CD/Blu-ray cheaper somewhere else and without having to order the vinyl too.
The CD and Blu of Wilson's Grace For Drowning were available cheap from Amazon in the US - think I paid less than $30 for the pair. Hope to do the same for Storm Corrosion.
Old 03-15-12, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by rmorgan
The CD and Blu of Wilson's Grace For Drowning were available cheap from Amazon in the US - think I paid less than $30 for the pair. Hope to do the same for Storm Corrosion.
The CD/Blu for this is only about $25-$26 after shipping from Burning Shed, so I may just go ahead and bite anyway.
Old 03-22-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll just order this off Amazon and save myself any potential headache.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.