Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

RIP Ronnie James Dio

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts
re: RIP Ronnie James Dio

Really sad about the news. His voice never seemed to change like other lead singers. Listening to Holy Diver right now.

RIP DIO.

You'll be missed.
Old 05-16-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is horrible.... I feel so down about it all cause this guy was such a class act. I know people who have met him and he was an all around great guy according to them. My buddy just met him right before the H&H reunion and hung out with him and got pics. Im glad I saw him live 3 times, wish I woulda met him.

Wasnt he diagnosed just 6 months ago? I had heard they caught it early and he was getting chemo and everything. Even Swayze lasted longer with the Pancreatic cancer.

RIP Dio
Old 05-16-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really sad. I goes without saying that he was an amazing front man. The voice that would come out of that tiny frame was simply incredible. More importantly to me, by all accounts he was a very respectful, humble and friendly person. Fans, bandmates, techs, they all loved the guy. That says something.
Old 05-16-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

From Lars Ulrich:

A Letter To Ronnie
5/16/2010

Dear Ronnie,

I just got off stage in Zagreb. I was met with the news that you've passed on. I'm kind of in shock, but I wanted you to know that you were one of the main reasons I made it onto that stage to begin with. When I first saw you in Elf, opening for Deep Purple in 1975, I was completely blown away by the power in your voice, your presence on stage, your confidence, and the ease with which you seemed to connect to 6000 Danish people and one starry-eyed 11 year old, most of whom were not familiar with Elf's music. The following year, I was so psyched when I heard the results of you joining forces with my favorite guitar player. You guys sounded so right for each other and I instantly became Rainbow's #1 fan in Denmark. In the fall of 1976, when you played your first show in Copenhagen, I was literally in the front row and the couple of times we made eye contact you made me feel like the most important person in the world. The news that you guys were staying in town on your day off somehow embedded itself in my brain and I made the pilgrimage to the Plaza Hotel to see if I could somehow grab a picture, an autograph, a moment, anything. A few hours later you came out and were so kind and caring... pictures, autographs and a couple minutes of casual banter. I was on top of the world, inspired and ready for anything. Rainbow came to Copenhagen a couple more times over the next few years and each time you guys blew my mind, and for a good three years were my absolute favorite band on this planet. Over the years I've been fortunate enough to run into you a half dozen times or so and each time you were as kind, caring and gracious as you were in 1976 outside the hotel. When we finally got a chance to play together in Austria in 2007, even though I may not have let on, I was literally transformed back to that little snot nosed kid who you met and inspired 31 years earlier and it was such a fucking honor and a dream come true to share a stage with you and the rest of the legends in Heaven and Hell. A couple of weeks ago when I heard that you were not going to be able to make it to the Sonisphere shows that we would be sharing this June, I wanted to call you and let you know that I was thinking of you and wish you well, but I kind of pussied out, thinking the last thing you needed in your recovery was feeling obligated to take a phone call from a Danish drummer/fan boy. I wish I'd made that call. We will miss you immensely on the dates, and we will be thinking of you with great admiration and affection during that run. It seemed so right to have you out on tour with the so-called “Big Four” since you obviously were one of the main reasons that the four bands even exist. Your ears will definitely be burning during those two weeks because all of us will be talking, reminiscing and sharing stories about how knowing you has made our lives that much better.

Ronnie, your voice impacted and empowered me, your music inspired and influenced me, and your kindness touched and moved me. Thank you.

Much love,

Lars
Old 05-16-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Man, I really don't know what to say about this. Dio was a huge, huge presence in my teen years. I remember waking up early on Sunday mornings and playing Holy Diver through my headphones over and over during high school. Yes, it seems a silly ritual, but it really helped me make it through.

I only got to see Dio twice. The first time was in his absolute prime on the Sacred Heart tour, and the second was much later than it should have been, the 2008 Heaven and Hell tour with Priest. Time has dulled my memories of the Sacred Heart show, but the H&H show is vivid, and he was amazing. He sounded as good as ever, and you would have never known he had been doing this literally since before I was born. I knew that night was special, and now it's even more so.

His legacy will sustain us, and the memory of what can be accomplished will inspire others, but he can never be replaced.
Old 05-16-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am so fucking pissed right now!!!! Ronnie was the man. One of the best voices and son writers ever! Long Live Rock N Roll! \m/ LOOK OUT ! \m/
Old 05-16-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd hate to be "that guy" but outside of his solo stuff (which i already own via the GH album that Warner put out several years ago, what would most here say is the best work which he was apart of?
Old 05-16-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sabbath/Heaven & Hell
Old 05-16-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I'd hate to be "that guy" but outside of his solo stuff (which i already own via the GH album that Warner put out several years ago, what would most here say is the best work which he was apart of?
If you had to get only one album, it could only be BLACK SABBATH's Heaven And Hell. From start to finish, this is not only as great as any album recorded with Ozzy, it's an absolute metal classic, PERIOD. I think it's the best Sabbath album no matter WHO is singing.

Any of the Dio Sabbath albums are great (as well as last year's fantastic "THE DEVIL YOU KNOW" (the band going by "Heaven & Hell" instead of Sabbath). There's also a really good compilation called The Dio Years, but the albums are all worth getting.

Also, "Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow" is a great album, a hard rock classic IMO.
Old 05-16-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What "anomynous" said, plus his days with Sabbath (Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules.) Rainbow is also noteworthy.

EDIT: Pretty much concur with Hokeyboy
Old 05-16-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys. I'd rather be honest, and not to be one of those guys that pretends to have heard all of an artists stuff, when they really haven't.
Old 05-16-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rainbow Rising is one of the best albums he was part of. the track "Stargazer" is an absolute masterpiece.
Old 05-17-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I actually like Mob Rules the best of the Sabs stuff. And I thought Devil You Know was pretty weak, especially after those 3 awesome tracks that were on the Dio years. However, I think Dehumanizer is underrated.
Old 05-17-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Rainbow's "Long Live Rock 'N' Roll" is Dio's (and Blackmore's) finest hour.
Old 05-17-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

I'd hate to be "that guy" but outside of his solo stuff (which i already own via the GH album that Warner put out several years ago), what would most here say is the best work which he was apart of?
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell M
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Rainbow - Rising
Rainbow - Long Live Rock and Roll

And of the DIO albums I'd consider these, "Must have," albums...

Holy Diver
The Last In Line
Sacred Heart
Dream Evil
Strange Highways
Killing the Dragon

All of the DIO albums are good, but those are all very good to great.
Old 05-17-10, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

RIP Ronnie James
Old 05-17-10, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man I forgot to say, my sister just reminded me, when we saw Dio open for Maiden on July 10, 1998 it was Dio's birthday. The fucking crowd burst out singing to him and he truly looked touched. Wonderful moment.

Now I will hear Rainbow "Still Im Sad"
Old 05-17-10, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: RIP Ronnie James Dio

I never got to see him live, but I remember in high school he was playing a 21+ club. Some friends went down and managed to see him going in; they got his attention and he took pictures and signed some autographs, even apologizing that they were too young for the venue. That always came off as being a class act.

Very sad to hear he passed, he was a legend in every sense of the word; despite his sometimes corny lyrics, he had a powerful voice and was infinitely more fun to listen to, in my opinion, than Ozzy.
Old 05-17-10, 04:50 AM

Ronnie was in for the fight of his life and he swore that he was going to take down the "dragon". He lost but put up a hell of a fight til the end. I hope that Rolling Stone does a write up like they did for Alex Chilton, or while their at it, and I know this is a pipe dream, put Ronnie on the damm cover.
Old 05-17-10, 05:54 AM

Rip
Old 05-17-10, 06:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

Although I saw him many moons ago, when he was a part of Sabbath, I was kicking myself a few years ago when I found that I'd missed him touring with his own band and again even more recently in H&H.

A very opinionated/passionate guy, he always came across as dedicated to his fans and willing to go the extra mile in terms of sticking around to spend time chatting etc as evidenced in the earlier posts in this thread.

I have to agree with those who champion his earlier work with Rainbow, which is where I first encountered his vocals. Way back when, Rainbow Rising opened my eyes to the possibilities of hard rock music.

Although not everything he produced was my cup of tea, when he was good he was very VERY good and, working with various musicians across the years, he came out with a remarkable number of classic albums that, IMO, really do stand the test of time. His legacy is impressive.

<small>(In the circumstances, and given the reason for the band in the first place, one wonders whether Tony Iommi will choose to continue with H&H, or decide that he should now move on with a totally new project. Such a discussion almost certainly merits a separate thread of its own).</small>
Old 05-17-10, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Micheal Jackson dies and its all that you heard for weeks on the news. Dio dies and its barely a blip on the radar. They need more time to dedicate to youtube clips and American Idol.
Old 05-17-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusoly
Micheal Jackson dies and its all that you heard for weeks on the news. Dio dies and its barely a blip on the radar. They need more time to dedicate to youtube clips and American Idol.
I get Yahoo News/CNN Breaking News alerts and neither one mentioned the passing of Ronnie James Dio but if someone farted in Turkey-I get 50 news alerts. Any word on comments from Ozzy Osbourrne about Ronnie's death?
Old 05-17-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Best voice in metal. A metal GOD.
I am glad to have been able to see him as many times as I did.
In front of 20x and in a club that fit a couple hundred, he made sure it was always the best no matter the number.

I would be interested in hearing what Vivian Campbell has to say ...
Old 05-17-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rainbow
# Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (1975)
# Rising (1976)
# Long Live Rock 'n' Roll (1978)

Black Sabbath
# Heaven and Hell (1980)
# Mob Rules (1981)

Dio
# Holy Diver (1983)
# The Last in Line (1984)
The Cream Of The Crop. \m/

Last edited by SkullOrchard; 05-17-10 at 12:41 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.