Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Interpol (4th album, Q3 2010)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Interpol (4th album, Q3 2010)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Interpol (4th album, Q3 2010)

Originally Posted by iggystar
Cool.

So what exactly about OTLA that was different than the others. I have an idea, but I can't really put it into words.

Love, love, love No I in Threesome.
In my opinion, Turn On The Bright Lights was like a Joy Division clone. It got people hooked. Antics started showing Interpol had found their own sound. OLTA really took a different turn and it alienated people that expected Interpol to come out with Antics Part II.

My wife is a big Interpol fan. She's seen them multiple times, met the band, gave them Interpol dolls that she made for them. Even she didn't like OLTA. She'll only listen to Wrecking Ball.

I think the new album is a return to their older sound. It should sell really well.
Old 08-23-10, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by joefrog91
OLTA really took a different turn and it alienated people that expected Interpol to come out with Antics Part II.
That makes sense. It's really difficult for an artist to diverge from their formula without turning off their fans. Then they have to be distinctive enough with new albums not to bore them either.

My wife is a big Interpol fan. She's seen them multiple times, met the band, gave them Interpol dolls that she made for them. Even she didn't like OLTA. She'll only listen to Wrecking Ball.
Now that's really cool
Old 08-23-10, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another fan of OTLA...two of my favorite tracks (not mentioned already, at least) are "Rest My Chemistry" and "Pace is the Trick".
Old 08-24-10, 12:02 PM

ah I still gotta listen to this, but I enjoyed the Julian Plenti album more so than any of the previous Interpol album except Bright Lights.
Old 08-24-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In my opinion, Turn On The Bright Lights was like a Joy Division clone.
Vocally maybe, but I still hear more of a Chameleons influence in this band than anything else.
Old 08-24-10, 03:51 PM

For some reason I never even heard the Chameleons. Just listened to a few tracks and I am digging it, they definitely had some influence on the Editors and the Horrors.
Old 01-27-11, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was way behind on even listening to this latest release since I lost interest in the band with the last album. I gotta say, this is a return to form. Some fantastic songs put together for this pup.
Old 01-27-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I was way behind on even listening to this latest release since I lost interest in the band with the last album. I gotta say, this is a return to form. Some fantastic songs put together for this pup.

I agree 100%. This is one of my favorite albums that I bought all of last year.

I don't remember seeing too many reviews for this one other than pitchfork's, who gave it like a 5.5 or something like that.
Old 11-18-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Anyone listen to El Pintor? Their new album that came out a couple months ago. I listened to it for the first time tonight and like it quite a bit. Seemed to do pretty well with critics too, except for Pitchfork (surprise surprise).
Old 11-18-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I've listened to it quite a bit and I like it a lot. Its not their best album but there are a few really good tracks.

I always have the feeling that Interpol are always *this* close to breaking up. Maybe I heard rumblings online somewhere, or because the bassist left, or because of Paul Banks solo stuff (which is also quite good)...I don't know. I love these guys so I hope they stick together for a while.