DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   I friggin' HATE "Train", but kinda dig their new song. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/572537-i-friggin-hate-train-but-kinda-dig-their-new-song.html)

TGM 04-18-10 08:59 AM

I friggin' HATE "Train", but kinda dig their new song.

just sayin'.

EdTheRipper 04-18-10 10:02 AM

Re: I friggin' HATE "Train", but kinda dig their new song.

It's growing on me.

Daytripper 04-18-10 10:22 AM

The lead singer is a really cool guy, and has a great voice, but never liked Train's music. But this new song is quite good. I think it's also their biggest single to date (?)

project86 04-18-10 01:09 PM

Every single they put out I have that "eh... dont like this too much"... then it grows on you. Then after the 30th time I hear it I want to kill myself.

Sessa17 04-18-10 01:45 PM

Never heard of them, clicked on this thread assuming a song would be posted.

EdTheRipper 04-18-10 02:01 PM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kVpv8-5XWOI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kVpv8-5XWOI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Rocketdog2000 04-18-10 06:04 PM

Actually, for what it is, the whole new album, Save Me San Francisco, is surprisingly good. I'd written these guys off years ago, but this one's easily the best thing they've done since their debut. Song for song, maybe even better.

Quake1028 04-18-10 06:42 PM

God that song is fucking awful.

Sessa17 04-18-10 07:56 PM

Wow, now I know why I never heard of them. That is about 25 different kinds of putrid. And between the freaky bald guy in sunglasses & the weird looking lead singer, this might be the ugliest band in the world.

mndtrp 04-18-10 09:12 PM

Is that the same lead singer they've always had? I seem to recall having a Train album at some point, but I don't remember it being that annoying.

EdTheRipper 04-18-10 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 10112527)
Is that the same lead singer they've always had? I seem to recall having a Train album at some point, but I don't remember it being that annoying.

Yup, same guy. Patrick Monahan.

Hiro11 04-18-10 09:43 PM

Not to threadcrap... but they play this song every. fucking. day. at my gym. It's so bland that I didn't notice it until about the fifth time I'd been forced to listen to it, now it makes me want to throttle whoever put this on the club's mix CD. "Sweet moonbeam"? "Mr. Mister"? Are you kidding me? It's simply awful in every way that awful music can be awful. Just a terrible song. Really, really bad. Really. Keep listening to it, soon you too will want to kill. KILLLLLL.

slop101 04-18-10 10:03 PM

It's crap chick-music (for chick who don't really understand music). It's to music what the typical rom-com is to movies. It may as well be a commercial jingle.

And the lyrics, holy shit those are bad - it's like a teeny-bopper song - it may as well be a Jonas Bros. song.

project86 04-19-10 01:34 AM

I noticed he's singing quite high compared to his normal stuff. The one Train song I still like is "Meet Virginia". And you can tell he's using his natural voice. I checked out a few live youtube videos, and theres an acoustic one which you can tell its way too high out of his range. There's also a live video from the Today show that they play it in a lower key, and it still sounds bad.

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10112620)
It may as well be a commercial jingle.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gt8fDwXCx1c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gt8fDwXCx1c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

atlantamoi 04-19-10 05:01 AM

Just listened one time. It's okay. Craps all over that Drops Of Jupiter song (which makes me wanna commit hari kari).

cungar 04-19-10 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10112620)
It's crap chick-music (for chick who don't really understand music). It's to music what the typical rom-com is to movies. It may as well be a commercial jingle.

And the lyrics, holy shit those are bad - it's like a teeny-bopper song - it may as well be a Jonas Bros. song.

I agree this song sucks but to make a comment like "for chick (sic) who don't really understand music" is so typically snobbish. I'm sure that this poster really "understands music" better than most people because he listens to challenging alternative crap.

slop101 04-19-10 09:57 AM

Not at all. If you've heard a couple bad songs, your favorite song is going to be a bad song, only because that's all you've heard. That is usually the case for people with bad taste; limited exposure.

Fist of Doom 04-19-10 10:28 AM

Catchy little tune.

More important, that chick in the video (the one with the bangs) is fuckin' hot.

Hokeyboy 04-19-10 10:44 AM

This is music for people who felt that Hootie and The Blowfish was too "edgy".

Fist of Doom 04-19-10 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10113244)
This is music for people who felt that Hootie and The Blowfish was too "edgy".

"Hold My Hand" has some disturbing undertones. I can only listen to it with the lights on.

Hokeyboy 04-19-10 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom (Post 10113269)
"Hold My Hand" has some disturbing undertones. I can only listen to it with the lights on.

In 1994, someone (I wish I remember who) wrote that "If rock-and-roll went on strike, Hootie and The Blowfish would be the replacement players". That's kind of how I feel about the Train song.

Ropes Pierre 04-19-10 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 10112407)
Wow, now I know why I never heard of them. That is about 25 different kinds of putrid. And between the freaky bald guy in sunglasses & the weird looking lead singer, this might be the ugliest band in the world.

Clearly you have never seen KISS

nothingfails 04-19-10 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 10111888)
Never heard of them, clicked on this thread assuming a song would be posted.

Were you in a cave all last decade? Drops Of Jupiter probably ranks with the five most overplayed songs of the 2000's, up there with that Superman song by Five For Fighting and She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5.

SonOfAStu 04-19-10 02:31 PM

Music snobs out in full force today! :lol:

"I don't like that song, so it must be terrible and anyone who DOES like it doesn't understand music!"

classic.

Sessa17 04-19-10 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 10113657)
Were you in a cave all last decade? Drops Of Jupiter probably ranks with the five most overplayed songs of the 2000's, up there with that Superman song by Five For Fighting and She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5.

I've never heard of any of those (I've heard of the band Maroon 5, don't know their music though). I own an insane amount of music, I'm addicted. I buy/download 6-10+ new albums a week, use to own well over 5,000 CDs, I've posted pics of my collection here before. I don't listen to mainstream radio or watch television, from this one song of Train posted here, clearly they are a radio friendly band so there isn't anywhere I would have heard them. You don't have to live in a cave to avoid bad music, its rather easy.