Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I friggin' HATE "Train", but kinda dig their new song.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

I friggin' HATE "Train", but kinda dig their new song.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I friggin' HATE "Train", but kinda dig their new song.

I don't think I've ever heard Drops of Jupiter, either. I've only heard this song because my office mate insists on playing the same station every day. So, when I don't have my headphones on, I hear the radio.
Old 04-19-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm only familiar with Train because a girlfriend from a couple years ago was really into them - and yes, she had shit-taste in music.
Old 04-19-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Train has gotten progressively worse with each album. I actually really liked their first one (with "Meet Virginia", great driving/road trip album), their second one had some good tracks (but then "Drops of Jupiter" got overplayed to all holy hell), then the rest just turned into overproduced cheesiness.

Agree with the post earlier about this song being in a much higher key than their stuff on the first album.
Old 04-20-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Music snobs out in full force today!

"I don't like that song, so it must be terrible and anyone who DOES like it doesn't understand music!"

classic.
Anyone who likes this song has really bad taste in music. There, done.
Old 04-20-10, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Anyone who would start their username with an uppercase "H" is clearly mentally retarded. There, done.

This is cool being able to make new rules!
Old 04-20-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I've never heard of any of those (I've heard of the band Maroon 5, don't know their music though). I own an insane amount of music, I'm addicted. I buy/download 6-10+ new albums a week, use to own well over 5,000 CDs, I've posted pics of my collection here before. I don't listen to mainstream radio or watch television, from this one song of Train posted here, clearly they are a radio friendly band so there isn't anywhere I would have heard them. You don't have to live in a cave to avoid bad music, its rather easy.
No, you just have to not:
  • Go to the Gym
  • Go to the Supermarket
  • Go to Starbucks
  • Go to chain restaurants
  • Go to the Dentist
  • Have a Girlfriend
Old 04-20-10, 12:11 PM

You forgot:

- Go to any store anywhere
- Ride in a car with someone else
- Actually have any friends

Seriously, it would take a LOT of effort to have never heard songs by those bands.
Old 04-20-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Anyone who would start their username with an uppercase "H" is clearly mentally retarded. There, done.

This is cool being able to make new rules!
Speaking of mental retardation:

Your lipstick stains on the front lobe of my left side brains
I knew I wouldn't forget you, and so I went and let you blow my mind
Your sweet moonbeam, the smell of you in every single dream I dream
I knew when we collided, you're the one I have decided who's one of my kind

Hey soul sister, ain't the Mr. Mister on the radio, stereo, the way you move ain't fair, you know!
Hey soul sister, I don't want to miss a single thing you do...tonight
Hey, hey,hey

Just in time, I'm so glad you have a one-track mind like me
You gave my life direction, a game show love connection we can't deny
I'm so obsessed, my heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest
I believe in you, like a virgin, you're Madonna, and I'm always gonna wanna blow your mind

Hey soul sister, ain't that Mr. Mister on the radio, stereo, the way you move ain't fair, you know!

The way you can't cut a rug, watching you's the only drug I need
You're so gangsta, I'm so thug, you're the only one I'm dreaming of
You see, I can be myself now finally, in fact there's nothing I can't be
I want the world to see you be with me

Hey soul sister, ain't that Mr. Mister on the radio, stereo, the way you move ain't fair, you know!
Hey soul sister, I don't want to miss a single thing you do tonight,
Hey, hey,hey

Tonight
Hey, hey,hey

Tonight
Old 04-20-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ten points for giving a shout out to Mr. Mister.

Minus ten thousand points for being absolutely unlistenable drivel.
Old 04-20-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
No, you just have to not:
  • Go to the Gym
  • Go to the Supermarket
  • Go to Starbucks
  • Go to chain restaurants
  • Go to the Dentist
  • Have a Girlfriend
This couldn't possibly be more false, it doesn't even make sense. No I don't go to the gym, I only run. The only supermarket I go to is Whole Foods which doesn't even play music (if it does I neve noticed). No, I don't go to Starbucks, their coffee is disgusting. My dentist only plays jazz music. And I've been with my girl for over 4 year & her music taste is even more obscure than my own. She would laugh at me if I said "check out this song by Train, isn't it awesome?"
Old 04-20-10, 03:40 PM

Sessa, time to update your picture. You truly are:

Old 04-20-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
You forgot:

- Go to any store anywhere
- Ride in a car with someone else
- Actually have any friends

Seriously, it would take a LOT of effort to have never heard songs by those bands.
Again, this makes no sense & couldn't be more false.

I really don't pay attention to what music is playing when I am shopping at a store. I use to be a manager at Abercrombie & Fitch (I know its corny feel free to make fun I've heard it all before) years ago & learned to just tune out the music (but I do know they never played Train).

My friends all listen to the same type of music more or less, & shocking as it sounds, I've never been in a car with anyone in my life that said "hey listen to this song it is Train, hey check out this CD its Maroon". Most times in the car with someone I'm usually talking not listening to music. I do have some friends that love metal or whatever but they know I don't so they don't play their music when I'm around or vice versa.

Have I physically heard these songs from these bands before? I don't know maybe I have, but never when there was a DJ or whatever announcing who the band was & what the song title was, so I really have no idea. Maybe one was playing in a movie or TV show, but again, how would I know who it was.

Its really not that difficult to not have heard of these bands or songs before.
Old 04-20-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People tend to imagine that the entire world operates in the same way that their social circle does. It's what makes bad politicians, and lousy music lovers.
Old 04-20-10, 03:50 PM

Have I physically heard these songs from these bands before? I don't know maybe I have, but never when there was a DJ or whatever announcing who the band was & what the song title was, so I really have no idea. Maybe one was playing in a movie or TV show, but again, how would I know who it was.
THANK YOU! that was the point. have you, at any point after posting in this thread, looked up one of their songs (i'd say "drops of jupiter" is the best place to start for Train, or "this love" by Maroon 5) and listened to it? If you truly can say that you don't recognize the song at all, then i will gladly eat crow (but hey, you could be lying).
Old 04-20-10, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
People tend to imagine that the entire world operates in the same way that their social circle does. It's what makes bad politicians, and lousy music lovers.
I can fully accept that people listen to varying types of music and operate differently. The comments were in response to the statement "there isn't anywhere I would have heard them". You don't have to have friends that specifically like that music to have heard it.

Back on topic. This Train song sucks, so I agree with Sessa on that.
Old 04-20-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

THANK YOU! that was the point. have you, at any point after posting in this thread, looked up one of their songs (i'd say "drops of jupiter" is the best place to start for Train, or "this love" by Maroon 5) and listened to it?
No I haven't, but again, if I had I wouldn't have known who it was until this thread. Which is my only point, that people are claiming its impossible to not know these bands & songs when all I'm stating is, if you don't listen to this kind of music, it is very easy to not know who these people are. The idea that people are stating if you've been in a supermarket you know who they are is just stupid. Yes, maybe I physically heard a song, but that doesn't mean anything if I wasn't paying attention or nobody told me who the band was.

Yeah, I admit I am abnormal because I don't watch TV live (I wait for DVD on everything) or listen to mainstream music, but you don't have to live in a cave to not hear of Train, I didn't even know they were popular. And I swear I'm not trying to sound like a music-douche, I am mocking myself because I'm utterly clueless as to what is popular apparently.

I can now confirm as I type this, that my girld told my I've heard of Marron 5 & their singer is hot. But I still can't picture a song.
Old 04-20-10, 04:19 PM

This is all based on semantics - "Heard" vs. "Heard of". Yes, I believe you may have never heard of or recognize the band name Train, but don't believe that you have never actually heard the song (i.e., you would listen to it now, and say, "why yes, that it a song i have heard millions of times out and about while carousing in my fine city and eating at local establishments".)

Here's "Drops of Jupiter", so you don't have to search:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VS0CV_GWEMI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VS0CV_GWEMI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Next thing you'll say is you have never heard "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls or "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia or any Ricky Martin song, etc. etc.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-20-10 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can fully accept that people listen to varying types of music and operate differently. The comments were in response to the statement "there isn't anywhere I would have heard them". You don't have to have friends that specifically like that music to have heard it.
Sessa's probably something like me:

1. I never listen to music on the live radio. Never, that is, except when my wife is driving (in which case, I'm usually saying stuff like "hey, I like this song, who does it?" to which she replies: "that's Beyonce, you friggin cave-dweller")

2. I listen to everything from Earth, Wind & Fire to Mayhem to Nick Drake to Neon Indian to Hall & Oates to Citay to Gene Vincent. I feverishly download new music/playlists daily from the Zune Marketplace. I have new music most every day. Despite that, top 40 / KissFM stuff remains the undiscovered country for me. This is a fault and in no way defensible as there's often a lot of good music in the top forty.

3. I don't watch TV. Ever. Again, not particularly defensible but I just don't like TV.

4. I'm rarely in stores, I hate stores.

5. Most of my friends are in their forties. We get together and talk about our aching corns.

6. My dentist doesn't play music.

7. I almost never ride in a car that someone else is driving. It's to the point that I hate doing so.

In other words, I'm a typical late thirties suburban dad except that I know who Tomas Haake is and why he's awesome.

As such, the only time I hear a popular song is when I'm in my gym in the moment after when I step into the gym and prior to the ceremonial donning of the in-earphones. Unfortunately, the sadists at my gym have decided that what I really want to listen to in that instant is Train's "Hey, Soul Sister" or some other atrocity.
Old 04-20-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

No I haven't, but again, if I had I wouldn't have known who it was until this thread. Which is my only point, that people are claiming its impossible to not know these bands & songs when all I'm stating is, if you don't listen to this kind of music, it is very easy to not know who these people are. The idea that people are stating if you've been in a supermarket you know who they are is just stupid. Yes, maybe I physically heard a song, but that doesn't mean anything if I wasn't paying attention or nobody told me who the band was.
I've had similar arguments with my mother recently, when she says I know certain people who she wants me to invite to my wedding. I tell her "just because I met them once, it doesn't mean I know them." To me, there is a big difference.
Old 04-20-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I kinda like it, but I dug their "Cab" song more, since it was played ad nauseum on my local station for months on end and has been entrenched into my mind.
Old 04-20-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Which is the equivalent of someone saying anyone who makes a statement like yours is a complete asshole. It's an unfounded opinion, and doesn't make it true. If you don't like it or care for, that's fine. However, to say it's bad music, or that someone who does like has bad taste in music is complete B.S.

Keep those kinds of uneducated assessments to yourself, please.
Old 04-20-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This couldn't possibly be more false, it doesn't even make sense. No I don't go to the gym, I only run. The only supermarket I go to is Whole Foods which doesn't even play music (if it does I neve noticed). No, I don't go to Starbucks, their coffee is disgusting. My dentist only plays jazz music. And I've been with my girl for over 4 year & her music taste is even more obscure than my own. She would laugh at me if I said "check out this song by Train, isn't it awesome?"
Now you're just being argumentative and aloof to appear cool. It's not working.
Old 04-21-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I work at a university. I'm surrounded by 18 -20 year olds all day. I've never heard that song. If you avoid top 40 radio and MTV, which is easy to do, and have friends that do the same, you really won't be exposed to such music.
Old 04-21-10, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you avoid top 40 radio and MTV, which is easy to do, and have friends that do the same, you really won't be exposed to such music.
Sometimes in the car I'll flip the dial to Top 40 radio and pretty much 100% of the time I have no clue what I'm listening to.
Old 04-21-10, 09:49 AM

I work at a university. I'm surrounded by 18 -20 year olds all day. I've never heard that song. If you avoid top 40 radio and MTV, which is easy to do, and have friends that do the same, you really won't be exposed to such music.
Which song? "Soul Sister" or "Drops of Jupiter"? I was talking about "Drops of Jupiter", which was played a ridiculous amount ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE. "Soul Sister" isn't anywhere close to that, and Train is currently waaaaaaaaaaaaay past its peak window of popularity

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.