Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's a reasonable price for an autographed CD?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an autographed CD that I am looking to sell. Wondering what kind of price I should be asking for it. I know it varies by the popularity of the artist, but anyone have any tips or some kind of formula I should use to calculate my asking price?
Old 05-25-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
check ebay
Old 05-25-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
check ebay
Did that. Not sure if ebay prices are entirely reasonable though
Old 05-25-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts
It helps if the person is dead. Finite supply. You can't go by popularity alone. A real popular artists may give out autographs willy-nilly making them almost worthless, while someone less known may fetch a higher price because they rarely sign anything. The item signed can make a difference. You walk up to Sean Connery with a photo of him as Bond and another as Dr. Jones, he signs both, the Bond photo instantly becomes more valuable.
Old 05-26-07, 12:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
You walk up to Sean Connery with a photo of him as Bond and another as Dr. Jones, he signs both, the Bond photo instantly becomes more valuable.
sad, but true.

So... OP... who signed the CD and which album is it?
Old 05-26-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. I've got a couple autographed cds as well, and one of them is personalized "To Justin:" How does this affect the value at all? I'm sure it brings it down some, just not sure how much.
Old 05-26-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Personalized brings the value way down - most people (unless they are also named Justin) won't want it... a lot of 'stars' personalize just for that reason, so you can't turn around and make money off of them. The only other tricky thing is people may be concerned about the authenticity of a signature, so it helps if you have photos of the signer.

Like already asked, what artist/album is it you're trying to sell? I've got a bunch of autographed cds displayed on my wall...very cool.
Old 05-26-07, 04:36 PM

Unless I actually witnessed the cd being autographed it's worthless to me.
Old 05-26-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Leechboy
Unless I actually witnessed the cd being autographed it's worthless to me.
Yep, or it's coming from a place where I know the COA will be 100% legit. I just don't trust places like eBay anymore.
Old 05-26-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Like already asked, what artist/album is it you're trying to sell? I've got a bunch of autographed cds displayed on my wall...very cool.
My personalized items are from Linkin Park and Insane Clown Posse/Twiztid, none of which I'm terribly into anymore. I've got non-personalized autographs from Mudvayne and Nonpoint. I think that's about it for my music autographs, and I have a couple of DVDs signed, but that's for another thread.
Old 05-26-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Yavin
Depends...it ain't one of William Hung's CD is it. I'll pay big bucks for that.
Old 05-07-18, 10:23 AM

Re: What's a reasonable price for an autographed CD?

So I have a " The Best of Blue Oyster Cult"- Don't Fear the Reaper- CD that has been signed by Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser who was lead guitar & its been signed twice, once on the CD & again on the album cover. He sighed it exactly as I wrote it above in both signiture's. I know it is authentic even though I didn't see him actually sign it since it was a gift, but since I was right next door @ my cousins house who happened to be his neighbor & met him myself after the fact,I have no doubt that it's real, what I've been trying to figure out exactly how much to value it at...? It's 2 signatures,1 on the CD & another on the Paper Insert cover. If anyone has an Idea of what its worth please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-07-18, 10:32 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts
Re: What's a reasonable price for an autographed CD?

Originally Posted by Bob IV
So I have a " The Best of Blue Oyster Cult"- Don't Fear the Reaper- CD that has been signed by Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser who was lead guitar & its been signed twice, once on the CD & again on the album cover. He sighed it exactly as I wrote it above in both signiture's. I know it is authentic even though I didn't see him actually sign it since it was a gift, but since I was right next door @ my cousins house who happened to be his neighbor & met him myself after the fact,I have no doubt that it's real, what I've been trying to figure out exactly how much to value it at...? It's 2 signatures,1 on the CD & another on the Paper Insert cover. If anyone has an Idea of what its worth please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Probably $30-$50

Here are some comparables: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...p2045573.m1684