Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Great band, horrible songs

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-13-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

The band that exemplifies this for me is Rush. I really can't say a bad thing about this trio as musicians. But as songwriters... yeech! Some of their musicwriting is alright, though unmemorable, but almost all their lyrics and melodies are just flat-out atrocious and cringe-inducing.

Another really good band that can't seem to write a song is Incubus, like Rush, they're pretty fantastic live and would be worth seeing if it wasn't for having to hear the songs they're playing. Not to mention the fact that they couldn't come up with a melody if the singer's tattoos depended on it. I'm sure they'd be a great cover-band though.

Now I don't want hear about why you disagree with my choices (I'm right, you're wrong, let's leave it at that), just give me your examples of other talented bands that put out shitty songs.
Old 04-13-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Great band, horrible songs

I find your post and the premise within humorous.
Old 04-13-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't agree with Rush but I would put Phish in this category.
Old 04-13-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good topic. Never got Rush or liked any of their music although I somehow knew they were good musicians.
I like Emerson Lake & Palmer early on but their post-Trilogy stuff never grabbed me at all. Karn-eveil-9 etal. Great musicians though.

Last edited by JANK; 04-13-10 at 06:36 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-13-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good topic, I definitely think there are good band that can't write great songs. I was pretty disappointed with Grizzly Bear when I heard their latest album. Lots of hype, and I thought they had the potential to be like Arcade Fire, but weak songwriting kept them from achieving that.

I would also agree that Phish falls into that category for me.
Old 04-13-10, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
The band that exemplifies this for me is Rush. I really can't say a bad thing about this trio as musicians. But as songwriters... yeech! Some of their musicwriting is alright, though unmemorable, but almost all their lyrics and melodies are just flat-out atrocious and cringe-inducing.
Heh, Rush is basically the one band that writes lyrics I can actually care about. Hasn't anybody paid attention to Middletown Dreams or Bravest Face (etc., etc.)? At the very least, I don't see how they at all deserve to be the freaking first band mentioned in a thread like this.

As for a band that does fit this thread, my nod goes to Wesley Willis. I mean, great musician, but who really cares about rock and roll McDonalds or that Birdman kicked his ass.
Old 04-14-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 194 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm not sure this would fall into the same category, but I love the musicianship of Between the Buried and Me. I couldn't tell you if the lyrics are shit though since the Cookie Monster vocals make it impossible to understand.
Old 04-14-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are across the board a terrific set of musicians but their songwriting is terrible. Most of their singles have incredibly dopey lyrics and they have a weakness for putting lots of filler in their albums.

Smashing Pumpkins. Even at their Butch Vig-produced best, Corgan's lyrics have sucked. Also, he needs an editor on some of "Mellon Collie" and most everything after "Mellon Collie" (which is also the worst album title of a good album ever, IMO).

The Decembrists have convinced me that they're a flexible and extremely capable band with "The Hazards of Love" but their over-the-top pretentiousness has crushed many a potentially good song.

I agree on Phish. I absolutley respect them as a band, they can play anything better than most other bands, but their songs generally stink. I know it's a cliche to say that... Their Halloween concerts (when they cover another band's album in its entirety) are generally terrific, which says something.

Also, I've got to defend Rush. The lyrics are ridiculously pretentious some time, but their heart is in the right place thematically, IMO. Also, their arrangements can be pretty fantastic.
Old 04-14-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I'm not sure this would fall into the same category, but I love the musicianship of Between the Buried and Me. I couldn't tell you if the lyrics are shit though since the Cookie Monster vocals make it impossible to understand.
not to stick up for the so called 'cookie monster' vocals, but for me at least, once you get used to it, i can understand most of it, maybe not on a first listen, usually it depends on the singer.
Old 04-14-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Rush? Horrible songs? OK dude.
Old 04-14-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
The Red Hot Chili Peppers are across the board a terrific set of musicians but their songwriting is terrible. Most of their singles have incredibly dopey lyrics and they have a weakness for putting lots of filler in their albums.
You summed up my feelings on them to the letter. I always like the music, but once the singing starts I cringe.
Old 04-14-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Rush? Horrible songs? OK dude.
I used to love them when I was twelve and didn't know any better. I guess I'm just jealous and wish that I still had zero discernment, then I'd be able to enjoy any old swill I shove down my gullet like you seem to do. Unfortunately, I have something known as taste, which prevents me from doing so.
Old 04-14-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to love them when I was twelve and didn't know any better. I guess I'm just jealous and wish that I still had zero discernment, then I'd be able to enjoy any old swill I shove down my gullet like you seem to do. Unfortunately, I have something known as taste, which prevents me from doing so.
Oh I see what you're doing now

This is a Rush hate thread is disguise
Old 04-14-10, 04:30 PM
Banned by request

AFAIK the members of Blink 182 are excellent musicians, but I'd rather put a drill to my head than listen to their music.
Old 04-14-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

You could've fooled me; the level of smug doucheyness in that statement alone reeks of a 12-year-old with zero discernment who enjoys any old swill and lacks something known as taste.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 04-14-10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 06:57 PM
Banned by request

Oh and Rush are brilliant musicians and accomplished songwriters.
Old 04-14-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
You could've fooled me; the level of smug douchenyess in that statement alone reeks of a 12-year-old with zero discernment who enjoys any old swill and lacks something known as taste.
I was kind of thinking the same thing about that post...
Old 04-15-10, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Smashing Pumpkins. Even at their Butch Vig-produced best, Corgan's lyrics have sucked.
The more recent stuff has even worse lyrics than before.

New Order (IMO) is also guilty of having terrible lyrics.
Old 04-19-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Beatles - Revolution#9
J.Geils Band - No Anchovies Please
Old 04-19-10, 08:47 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post

New Order (IMO) is also guilty of having terrible lyrics.
Strange, I always liked their lyrics.
Old 04-20-10, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

New Order has bi-polar disorder with their lyrics, some are great, and some are dreadful - sometimes even in the same song.
Old 04-20-10, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like "The Perfect Kiss", but that "pleasure zone" lyric is awful.
Old 04-20-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Beatles - Revolution#9
J.Geils Band - No Anchovies Please
Please people read the thread title and description. EVERY band has at least one terrible song.
Old 04-20-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Is it odd that I could understand them better when I saw them live than I can on the records? Though that isn't insanely hard either. They're a talented group, and there's something amusing about vegan hardcore rockers.
Old 04-20-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dave Mathews Band, I can't stand their songs, but they are great musicians.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.