Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Old 05-12-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

If I'm not mistaken, there was talk of a dvd for his Dark Side tour. In fact I think a couple of the shows were professionally recorded. I'm pretty suprised there wasn't a release considering how hot everything Pink Floyd was post Live8. I can't help but wonder if maybe it has to do with what we were discussing a few posts up.
Old 05-16-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found about about his tour a few days ago and would love to see him perform in Vancouver B.C., but it's a nearly 9 hour drive from here in Oregon. That turns it into more than simply a drive.

I may have to be content with having seen him perform The Wall in Berlin (Pottsdammer Platz) back in 1990. That may be tough to top anyways as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-08-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I was going to skip this tour because of the high ticket prices. But I was just able to buy good Loge seats for the Boston show for $75 through Ticketmaster! Might be some sort of computer glitch, or an unheard-of price drop of some sort, I have no idea. But I'm happy!
Old 09-19-10, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Tour kicked off in Toronto last night and is getting favorable reviews. Note, though, at this first show there were no encores. Just The Wall was performed.
Old 09-19-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Tour kicked off in Toronto last night and is getting favorable reviews. Note, though, at this first show there were no encores. Just The Wall was performed.
Yes well that was how the how was advertised. People who predicted an encore didn't see the 1980 shows and what the stage was like after the Wall collapsed.
Old 09-19-10, 01:03 PM

I have front row of the club section for the show in columbus ohio in about a month and I'm very excited! even more after having read multiple good reviews & seen some of the pictures on line of the shows that happened this week...

my question is - if he's only playing the wall, how does an 80 minute album become a 2 hour & 40 minute show?
Old 09-19-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1if4GKsQl-E&rel=0&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1if4GKsQl-E&rel=0&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dZrCCzP-ejw&rel=0&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dZrCCzP-ejw&rel=0&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-23-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My brothers got me tickets to the show in ATL, and while I'm a Pink Floyd fan of sorts, I don't even have a copy of The Wall. This show, though, will be my impetus to pick up a copy. I want to be familiar with it before seeing it!
Old 09-23-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was interested in going but if Waters is using that backing band for the entire tour, no way are the high-prices worth it. Run Like Hell sounded like crap, complete crap.
Old 09-24-10, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like they tuned down those songs a half step...something was not right with Run Like Hell that is for sure.
Old 09-28-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
It sounds like they tuned down those songs a half step...something was not right with Run Like Hell that is for sure.
It's actually a full step. I'm pretty sure the album is in 'D', and this version seems to be in 'C'. Yuck.
Old 09-28-10, 03:42 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Went to the 'Wish You Were Here' concert in Pittsburgh in '75 and the 'Animals' concert in Cleveland in '77, but missed going to see 'The Wall' in '79... I've always wished Roger Waters would iron out his differences with Gilmour, Wright, & Mason, get back together as Pink Floyd but I guess that's never going to happen. At any rate, ticket prices are much too rich for my blood. I'll content myself with my Pink Floyd albums and my memories of the concerts I attended. -kd5-
Old 09-28-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by [email protected]
It's actually a full step. I'm pretty sure the album is in 'D', and this version seems to be in 'C'. Yuck.
No wonder it sounds so goddamn off. Run Like Hell just sounds horrible.
Old 09-28-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gmanca
I was interested in going but if Waters is using that backing band for the entire tour, no way are the high-prices worth it. Run Like Hell sounded like crap, complete crap.
Yeah well when Waters said he could do the Wall with just about anybody, that Pink Floyd weren't necessary to do it well, you know where his head is at.
Old 09-28-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I've got tickets to the Phx show the weekend after Thanksgiving, but it turns out that we had some last minute out-of-town plans come up and aren't going to be able to use them.

I'd like to say that I'm disappointed that I'll be missing the show, but I'm really not. I'd still love to see Waters live sometime, maybe doing his solo stuff with some Floyd peppered in, and so far The Wall 2010 isn't looking or sounding all that great.
Old 09-28-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if I want to go to a concert where Waters' political dogma is shoved down my throat for a good part of the evening.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HB5Vq5J6iHQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HB5Vq5J6iHQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-28-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Not sure if I want to go to a concert where Waters' political dogma is shoved down my throat for a good part of the evening.
Sorry, but Ted Nugent is done touring for the year.
Old 09-28-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
Sorry, but Ted Nugent is done touring for the year.
FYI I'm a liberal but I don't go to rock concerts to be lectured to.
Old 09-29-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
I've always wished Roger Waters would iron out his differences with Gilmour, Wright, & Mason, get back together as Pink Floyd but I guess that's never going to happen. -kd5-
Well, at least not with Wright....
Old 09-29-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think people are being a bit overly critical at this point. If you bought your ticket because you wanted to see Roger Waters performing the Wall, then you should know what to expect. Gilmour and Mason are out and Wright isn't going to be participating in any group anytime soon. Waters is touring with session musicians, pretty good ones at that, and it is what it is. This isn't 1980, 1990 or even 2000. It is 2010. I am not sure what people are expecting, but Roger Waters isn't a spring chicken anymore. I am going to go into it appreciating that I get to see the Wall live, in its entirety with the person who created it.
Old 09-29-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boc4ever
I think people are being a bit overly critical at this point. If you bought your ticket because you wanted to see Roger Waters performing the Wall, then you should know what to expect. Gilmour and Mason are out and Wright isn't going to be participating in any group anytime soon. Waters is touring with session musicians, pretty good ones at that, and it is what it is. This isn't 1980, 1990 or even 2000. It is 2010. I am not sure what people are expecting, but Roger Waters isn't a spring chicken anymore. I am going to go into it appreciating that I get to see the Wall live, in its entirety with the person who created it.
why are you guys talking like Rick Wright is still alive unless you're joking sarcastically or something? Him and Syd Barrett were probably my two favorite members of the group and they're both gone.
Old 09-29-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
I don't know how you could be suprised by political dogma in a performance of The Wall. A large portion of the story deals with the loss of war and it's affect on the home front.
Old 09-29-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat
why are you guys talking like Rick Wright is still alive unless you're joking sarcastically or something? Him and Syd Barrett were probably my two favorite members of the group and they're both gone.
Was that not clear how he separated Wright from Gilmour/Mason?
Old 09-29-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well it was mentioned in a post before that too- Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I've always wished Roger Waters would iron out his differences with Gilmour, Wright, & Mason, get back together as Pink Floyd but I guess that's never going to happen. -kd5-

just found it weird
Old 09-29-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that guy may be out of the loop. Maybe you should have quoted him instead

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.