Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Old 05-02-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Originally Posted by tronmaster
The sad thing is Pink Floyd filmed the concerts to be used in the movie. I wish they release it, I mean the limited number of shows and the amount of fans who never saw that tour would warrant a nice concert film.
I thought there was a wall dvd set out there? Also isn't there some unreleased material out there put out by Harvested probably?
Old 05-02-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I'll probably go, but I'll definitely be in the cheap seats.
Even the cheap seats sounded great on his last tour, so it's not a bad choice to make.
Old 05-02-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Robot Rock
Seems like it will be a snorefest.
Agreed. Seeing a living legend perform one of the most influential albums in its entirety with the capabilities of 2010 technology strikes me as a complete waste of time also...
Old 05-02-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Agreed. Seeing a living legend perform one of the most influential albums in its entirety with the capabilities of 2010 technology strikes me as a complete waste of time also...
that album marked the end of pink floyd to me. It's more like his first solo album. Gilmour even has the shits with it from what I've seen him speak of it.
Old 05-02-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I understand your point about how Waters took over for the Wall and Final Cut. However, Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are like Gilmour solo albums to me. They are both interesting and I appreciate them, but there is no way I would consider them "Pink Floyd" albums by any means. What made Pink Floyd great, IMHO, is Waters, Gilmour, Wright and Mason as a unit. Thematically, the Wall and Final Cut are perfect successors to Wish You Were Here and Animals. Strong symbolism, in depth lyrics, and the ability to create a "mood." They are literally works of art. I definitely admit seeing the Wall with just Waters isn't going to have half the magic of the Live 8 reunion, but if it means a chance to see the production as the creator envisioned it, how can you go wrong?
Old 05-02-10, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by statcat
I thought there was a wall dvd set out there? Also isn't there some unreleased material out there put out by Harvested probably?
There is the audio cd version "Is There Anybody Out There" which is a great 2 cd set. I haven't heard of a live dvd. There is of course the movie The Wall, which if I remember correctly has no film footage of the Pink Floyd concert.
Old 05-03-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, maybe a stupid question but, is he just going to do the album as a concert or is he going to do the stage show and "Build the Wall" as it was done back in the day?
Old 05-03-10, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be buying tickets through the AmEx presale in about an hour for the 11/21 Dallas show.
Old 05-03-10, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TheGuy
OK, maybe a stupid question but, is he just going to do the album as a concert or is he going to do the stage show and "Build the Wall" as it was done back in the day?
He's going to do the whole production, wall and all.
Old 05-03-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Old 05-03-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging only by the Water's In the Flesh live video vs. Gilmore's Pink Floyd live videos, Waters puts on the better show, so I am really excited about this ...
Old 05-03-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems there is an AMEX presale and no Citi presale. Dang it. I had to reactivate an old Amex card that won't arrive until tomorrow.

Great discussions here, I must say. This is the first time I have ever been able to afford to see one of the Floyd legends in the flesh, and Waters has always been my preference.
Old 05-03-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I'm not impressed with the seats I got from the AmEx presale. I may check out the general public sale in a few days and then decide if I want to buy a 2nd set and then StubHub the first.
Old 05-03-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got nice seats for the NYC MSG show. Can't wait!!
Old 05-03-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jdodd
Fucking A!!!
Old 05-03-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts

Got my tickets for the Dec 11th show in Tacoma! Can't wait! I saw Roger Waters in Dublin 5 or 6 years ago and even in a very small venue it's a great time!
Old 05-03-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jdodd
I'm sure it will be technologically improved and streamlined from 1980 version. I remember that while it was one of the best concerts I ever saw, the execution was rather amateurish with what looked like white cardboard boxes being stacked by stagehands on a scaffold from behind. There were the usual Floyd balloons of the pig, schoolteacher and mother. And the airplane that flew across the arena on a line during Goodbye Cruel Sky (I believe).

The most memorable bits were Gilmour's Comfortably Numb solo and vocal parts from atop the wall and the hotel room that opened up from the Wall during Nobody Home.

I still remember that nearly the entire second album was played by the band from behind the stage with various parts played by a "surrogate band" in various configurations.

As much as this concert stands out as a great experience, this was a period when I was seeing the best concerts of my life. That summer I also saw the Who at the Sports Arena from the 3rd row and I was directly in front of Pete Townshend. That's probably my greatest concert experience ever.

PS I think I paid either $12.50 or $13.00 for both these shows

Last edited by cungar; 05-03-10 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
FWIW, I'm not impressed with the seats I got from the AmEx presale. I may check out the general public sale in a few days and then decide if I want to buy a 2nd set and then StubHub the first.
I was previewing the AMEX sale and the second most expensive seats were all the way in the back of that section of the price range at the Bank Atlantic in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. So, yes, I took might wait for general sale.
Old 05-04-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I wasn't impressed with seats I got for the presale either. My total was $260 for a pair, lower level, at the back of the arena. However, to sit two sections closer in the same row was $360, and if I wanted two sections from the stage it was $530. Therefore, I can live with my seats because there was no way in hell I was paying $275 a ticket just to be closer. Normally I would scoff at these seats, but all things considered, I am going to live with it.
Old 05-04-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being close to the stage doesn't matter so much on this show, I would think, since it plans to be such a spectacle. In fact, you might even miss out!

Still, all these presale seats winding up in the back of sections reeks weird to me. I'm waiting for the general public sale.
Old 05-04-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being close to the stage doesn't matter so much on this show, I would think, since it plans to be such a spectacle. In fact, you might even miss out!

Still, all these presale seats winding up in the back of sections reeks weird to me. I'm waiting for the general public sale.
Old 05-04-10, 09:40 AM

I was able to get amazing FRONT ROW of the club level in Columbus Ohio seats during the Amex presale last night... I'm just thrilled! they are distant - about the "7 o'clock" area... but with a spectacle of this size, I think being a bit far off is a good thing... and front row of the club level where no one can get in front of you and stand is priceless!
Old 05-04-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slowcloud

Not to tell you what to do, but keep in mind that radio stations etc. will have tickets put aside and there's a good chance the show will sell out very fast. Especially after fan club. That's why I pulled the trigger and grabbed the "far away" seats while I could. I learned a hard lesson one time when the Rolling Stones played the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA. I was online during general sale and really crappy seats popped up in the back of the balcony. I threw the seats back in to try for better ones and nothing else ever popped up. Also, keep in mind that the closer you are to the stage, the more the ticket is going to run you. If you are willing to pay $530 or so for a pair of seats closest to the stage then go for it, otherwise, I would grab what you can get at this point. Just my two cents.
Old 05-04-10, 01:54 PM

Ugh, was not one of the qualified preorder tickets for the Las Vegas show. I have to wait when it goes on sale to the public...
Old 05-04-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by bearkiss
I was able to get amazing FRONT ROW of the club level in Columbus Ohio seats during the Amex presale last night... I'm just thrilled! they are distant - about the "7 o'clock" area... but with a spectacle of this size, I think being a bit far off is a good thing... and front row of the club level where no one can get in front of you and stand is priceless!
Excellent spot.

Originally Posted by tronmaster
Ugh, was not one of the qualified preorder tickets for the Las Vegas show. I have to wait when it goes on sale to the public...
I didn't get in for Denver, either.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.