Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power REISSUE 4/13/10 w/Bowie Mix!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-11-10, 11:16 AM

Surprised no one else had posted this yet.

Previously unreleased Iggy and the Stooges tracks: They still exist! The punk rock forefathers' catalog has been mined incessantly in the past 40 years or so, but a new reissue of watershed 1973 album Raw Power will unearth a few more tracks that still haven't seen commercial release, if you can believe it.

On April 13, Columbia/Legacy will release Raw Power: Legacy Edition. Two weeks later, on April 27, they'll follow it up with the even more deluxe Deluxe Edition.

The Legacy Edition will include a remastered version of the original album, featuring David Bowie's original mix, on its first disc. The second disc, titled Georgia Peaches, includes a complete recording of an Atlanta live show from 1973, parts of which have been heavily bootlegged-- with two previously unreleased bonus tracks to boot: the studio outtake "Doojiman" and a studio rehearsal performance of "Head On". It'll also include a 24-page booklet with essays about the band and introductions from surviving members.

All that stuff will also show up in the Deluxe Edition. Both discs will share space with a third disc, Rarities, Outtakes, & Alternates From the Raw Power Era, which will include eight tracks from different sources (five of them previously unreleased). The fourth disc is a 30-minute documentary DVD called The Making of Raw Power.

And yeah, there's more. You'll also get a reproduction of a rare Japanese picture sleeve 7" single of "Raw Power" and "Search and Destroy", five 5x7 photo prints, and a 7" softcover booklet with an essay by Henry Rollins and testimonials from prominent folks like Lou Reed, Joan Jett, Tom Morello, and others. Before the April 27 release date, the box will be available exclusively through the Stooges' website. Stooges nerds, start saving your money.

We've got the tracklists for all three CDs included in the Deluxe Edition below. (The Stooges will play Raw Power in its entirety at ATP New York this fall, by the way.)

Raw Power (Deluxe Edition):

CD1 (Raw Power):

01 Search and Destroy
02 Gimme Danger
03 Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell
04 Penetration
05 Raw Power
06 I Need Somebody
07 Shake Appeal
08 Death Trip

CD2 (Georgia Peaches):

01 Introduction *
02 Raw Power *
03 Head On *
04 Gimme Danger *
05 Search and Destroy *
06 I Need Somebody *
07 Heavy Liquid *
08 Cock in My Pocket *
09 Open Up and Bleed *
10 Doojiman (outtake) *
11 Head On (CBS Studio rehearsal performance) *

CD3 (Rarities, Outtakes, & Alternates From the Raw Power Era):

01 I'm Hungry (outtake) *
02 I Got a Right (outtake) *
03 I'm Sick of You (outtake)
04 Hey, Peter (out*take) *
05 Shake Appeal (alternate mix version) *
06 Death Trip (alternate mix version) *
07 Gimme Danger (alternate mix from the 1996 Iggy "violent" remixes)
08 Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell (alternate mix from the 1996 Iggy "violent" remixes)

* previously unreleased
http://pitchfork.com/news/37871-iggy...issue-box-set/
Old 04-11-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power REISSUE 4/13/10 w/Bowie Mix!

Along with the first album, these are pretty nice reissues. Getting it right by adding additional content rather than useless access to a website or whatever.
Old 04-11-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wd40cloud View Post
Surprised no one else had posted this yet.
If you haven't noticed this forum is pretty dead these days. Other than a few What are you listening to threads it's been pretty quiet. Hope it livens up again some day.
Old 04-11-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-11-10, 02:02 PM
Banned by request

Wait, people are excited to have the Bowie mix? The Iggy Pop mix that came out at the end of the 90's is vastly superior in every way. The Bowie mix was just what Stooges fans had to put up with until Iggy Pop finally released his original mix.
Old 04-11-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Wait, people are excited to have the Bowie mix? The Iggy Pop mix that came out at the end of the 90's is vastly superior in every way. The Bowie mix was just what Stooges fans had to put up with until Iggy Pop finally released his original mix.
Seriously? I guess I'd honestly like something in between. The remix is really abrasive and cracks and pops. Not that a Stooges album isn't supposed to be abrasive, but the songs are so angst filled that I don't think my speakers need to blow up to "get it".
Old 04-11-10, 08:15 PM

I've just gotten into the Stooges recently. I heard the Iggy mix first and didn't care for the bombardment of sound. It really sounded like a lot of loud noise accompanied by Iggy's vocals. I was able to track down a copy of the Bowie mix and it was a revelation. It was the original CD that came out in the late 80s, early 90s so that sound is a little soft, but it was still quite an improvement. I can't really see the justification behind Iggy wanting to remix the album as it wasn't really necessary.
Old 04-11-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by wd40cloud View Post
I've just gotten into the Stooges recently. I heard the Iggy mix first and didn't care for the bombardment of sound. It really sounded like a lot of loud noise accompanied by Iggy's vocals. I was able to track down a copy of the Bowie mix and it was a revelation. It was the original CD that came out in the late 80s, early 90s so that sound is a little soft, but it was still quite an improvement. I can't really see the justification behind Iggy wanting to remix the album as it wasn't really necessary.
Iggy "remixed" the album because it was his original intention. Studio hated his mix, Iggy refused, and Bowie had to finish the mixing. I agree Iggy's version isn't that appealing, but it deserved to be released.
Old 04-12-10, 12:35 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both mixes suck, just in entirely different ways.

Like Hollowgen, I'd love to hear a mix of the album that finds a happy medium between the two: that doesn't sound as thin (yet at least more listen-able) as Bowie's rushed mix, but not a completely in the red, wall of distorted noise like Pop's '99 remix. Oh well. It's still a great album despite the sound.
Old 04-12-10, 01:41 AM
Banned by request

Given that the album is called "Raw Power," I always found Pop's mix to be completely in line with what that album should have been. I mean, hell, it's The Stooges. They should never sound clean.
Old 04-12-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Iggy's mix is great and powerful but it's a bit too much; not everything needed to be in the red. I totally understand what Iggy was trying to do but he went too far with it.

Bowie's mix is good. The CD release sounded pretty bad because it was a CD release from the late '80s. I first heard Raw Power on vinyl (with the original mix) so that's what the album sounds like to me. I think the original mix needed to be remastered and needed to be back in print.
Old 04-12-10, 01:45 PM
Banned by request

I don't have a problem with Bowie's mix being remastered and re-released. But if you're going to make a deluxe edition, it should include Pop's mix in its entirety instead of two or three songs tacked onto the end to fill out the third CD. That way fans can decide which mix they prefer and have it all in one package.
Old 04-12-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes! I have been looking to get the proper Bowie mix for years. I will finally bite on the double CD version.
Old 04-12-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

As a HUGE Stooges fan, this is fantastic. I have never heard the Bowie mix in any form, so this is a big deal for me.

And the bonus stuff is icing.

I do have a question about the first album recent re-issue...can I ditch my two disc from Rhino or is it something different?
Old 04-12-10, 03:38 PM

I hated Iggy's mix. I already have the original Bowie mix on CD, but I preordered this 2-disc set as soon as it became available. This is the definitive mix, warts and all.
Old 04-12-10, 04:14 PM

Who is selling the 4-disc deluxe edition?
Old 04-12-10, 04:18 PM
Banned by request

Well fuck me, as I was looking up Raw Power on wikipedia, I saw that Iggy and the Stooges will be performing the album in its entirety at this year's All Tomorrow's Parties. But it's taking place in the UK. Goddamn.

Edit: My bad, The Stooges will be playing at the UK ATP, but will be performing Raw Power specifically at the New York ATP in September.

Last edited by Supermallet; 04-12-10 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 11:14 PM

I don't have a problem with Bowie's mix being remastered and re-released. But if you're going to make a deluxe edition, it should include Pop's mix in its entirety instead of two or three songs tacked onto the end to fill out the third CD. That way fans can decide which mix they prefer and have it all in one package.
I totally agree that both mixes should have been included (there's enough space on the disc) but most Stooges fans will already have the remix CD.

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
I do have a question about the first album recent re-issue...can I ditch my two disc from Rhino or is it something different?
Yeah, the only reason to keep it would be for the packaging because the contents are the same. Though the new one will have cooler packaging. So yes, ditch the older Rhino 2-disc for store credit somewhere.

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
Who is selling the 4-disc deluxe edition?
http://www.iggyandthestoogesmusic.com
Old 04-13-10, 11:21 AM

Am I wrong in assuming that the 4-disc edition will eventually be available at Amazon, B&N, etc?
Old 04-13-10, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
Am I wrong in assuming that the 4-disc edition will eventually be available at Amazon, B&N, etc?
I haven't seen it in print but I'm betting that after a specific date it will be available from other online retailers.
Old 04-13-10, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post

Yeah, the only reason to keep it would be for the packaging because the contents are the same. Though the new one will have cooler packaging. So yes, ditch the older Rhino 2-disc for store credit somewhere.

Ok so let me make sure I got this right. The new re-issue and the old Phino are the same sans fancy packaging?

ETA: No this is not the case. The new re-issue has the complete original mix and all but two tracks off of the bonus disc on the original re-issue. This now becomes a must own!

Last edited by macnorton; 04-13-10 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-13-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. I've always wanted to hear this, but the Iggy-mix CD is supposed to be excessively loud, distorted, and clipped. I've pre-ordered the 2-disk version from Amazon.
Old 04-14-10, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
Ok so let me make sure I got this right. The new re-issue and the old Phino are the same sans fancy packaging?

ETA: No this is not the case. The new re-issue has the complete original mix and all but two tracks off of the bonus disc on the original re-issue. This now becomes a must own!
Yeah the new one is definitely something to own. I only brought up the packaging as a reason to keep the '05 reissue; other than that you really don't need it.

I only see one track that's missing from the '05 release, Real Cool Time (Alternate Mix). The '10 reissue has Real Cool Time (Takes 1 & 2) in its place.
Old 04-14-10, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Cool. I've always wanted to hear this, but the Iggy-mix CD is supposed to be excessively loud, distorted, and clipped. I've pre-ordered the 2-disk version from Amazon.
Do yourself a favor and grab the Iggy Mix for comparison. It is distorted, but it really adds to the feel of both the album and the band.
Old 04-14-10, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
Yeah the new one is definitely something to own. I only brought up the packaging as a reason to keep the '05 reissue; other than that you really don't need it.

I only see one track that's missing from the '05 release, Real Cool Time (Alternate Mix). The '10 reissue has Real Cool Time (Takes 1 & 2) in its place.
Looking again that is correct. Looks like this is the one to get.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.