Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

DR. DRE: "Detox"

Old 06-05-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: DR. DRE: "Detox"

Dr. Dre In 'Final Stretch' of 'Detox' Work, Says DJ Khalil

While DJ Khalil has recently contributed to new projects by Drake, John Legend, Eminem and Game, the producer tells Billboard.com that his top priority these days is helping Dr. Dre finish his endlessly delayed third album, "Detox."

"Dre's album is definitely the most important thing right now, because he is definitely in the final stretch," says DJ Khalil (real name: Khalil Abdul-Rahman), who produced "Detox's" first single, "Kush," along with Dr. Dre. "He has the record going, but I'm sure he thinks there are pieces missing still. Until he finds those pieces, maybe he's not comfortable putting it out yet."

Khalil, who has been working with Dr. Dre on "Detox" for over six years, can't predict exactly what the long-awaited album will sound like. "It's definitely a West Coast sound -- more futuristic West Coast sound -- at least from what I've turned in," he says. "I don't know what he's keeping, though."

Khalil says that his "Detox" work has kept him from focusing on Drake's sophomore album, "Take Care," but the producer -- who previously collaborated with the Canadian rapper on the "So Far Gone" track "Fear" -- professes that he has "a ton of ideas" for his second full-length. "I talked to him and just told him I'm working on stuff for him," he says. "I'm sure they are more than halfway done. I'm pretty sure he's getting close and I definitely want to be a part of it."

The producer notes that he produced "Echo," a song for the Eminem and Royce Da 5'9" collaboration Bad Meets Evil which will appear as a bonus track on their forthcoming "Hell: The Sequel" EP. Khalil also produced two tracks on Game's upcoming "R.E.D. Album" and recently met with John Legend for a studio session.

http://www.billboard.com/#/column/th...05213242.story
Old 06-05-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Q&A With Warren G: Talks Dr. Dre Rumors

In this Ballerstatus.com exclusive, Warren opens up to them about losing his homeboy Nate Dogg, while sharing the creative process behind his dedication track to his fallen comrade on “This Is Dedicated To You”. He also names his favorite Nate Dogg and Warren G collabos, talks working with The Game on the upcoming Nate Dogg & Warren G EP, and he weighs in on a few Dr. Dre-related topics and misconceptions.

BallerStatus.com: When you first heard “Kush” and “I Need A Doctor”, what were your thoughts on those?

Warren G: I like “Kush”, that motherf***er is bangin’. “I Need A Doctor”, I felt that because, you know, I be feeling that way like Eminem was feeling talking to Dre. Because when I seen Andre, I told him, “Man, you Dr. Dre! No matter what you do, what you put out, all that sh** you play for me is banging, you’re Dr. Dre. What we gotta do is get back in this motherf***in’ studio, pull out that motherf***in’ weed, bring these bitches, and all these bomb-ass musicians and get in there and create like we used to.” That’s my version, that’s how I felt.

full interview
http://www.ballerstatus.com/2011/05/...dr-dre-rumors/
Old 06-05-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boogieman03 View Post
Who's Tim Westwood? Is that somebody we should know?
Seriously? He's arguably one of the best known DJs in England, especially when it comes to Hip Hop.
Old 06-05-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe DJ Khalil should just keep working on Dre's new album (forever) so that the second Drake album never sees the light of day. On a serious note it worries me a bit when someone that has been involved with an album that is "close" to coming out doesn't really know what it will "sound" like.
Old 06-05-11, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Maybe DJ Khalil should just keep working on Dre's new album (forever) so that the second Drake album never sees the light of day. On a serious note it worries me a bit when someone that has been involved with an album that is "close" to coming out doesn't really know what it will "sound" like.
Please Drake's first album was pretty good and his mixtapes have been very good. Instead maybe Khalil should stop on this Dre bullshit that has been almost 10 years in the making. These songs I've heard thus far from Dre's "album" are borderline wack so far. I like Dre but people like you are overrating dude so much.
Old 06-07-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new release date for "Detox" is July 26, according to Hip Hop-N-More.

At least we have something to look forward to, only to be disappointed when it doesn't come out on that day.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...-on-july-26th/
Old 06-07-11, 06:53 PM

This should be titled Detox Pt. 6 by now.
Old 06-07-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He might as well call his album "Dr. Dre Forever."
Old 06-07-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sweet!
Old 06-09-11, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
The new release date for "Detox" is July 26, according to Hip Hop-N-More.

At least we have something to look forward to, only to be disappointed when it doesn't come out on that day.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...-on-july-26th/
I will believe it when I see it. I know I won't be buying this album, after waiting for this album forever I am not going to be giving him my money. Amazon doesn't even have a preorder up for this album so I believe them for then some blog site trying to get hits. Just like in January when it was said that it was coming out April 20 I don't believe anything. If this album actually get released I would be shocked.
Old 06-09-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're not going to buy an album because you've had to wait forever for it? Okay...
Old 06-09-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
You're not going to buy an album because you've had to wait forever for it? Okay...
I may be the only one on here that feels the same way, but others will do the same. What happened with Guns N Roses and Chinese Democracy? That album kept getting delayed and it hurt its record sales, so you are crazy to think that the same won't happen with this album. Plus if the songs that have been released or leaked that are supposed to be on the album are any indication of what the album is going to be like then I don't want to get it.
Old 06-09-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd View Post
I may be the only one on here that feels the same way, but others will do the same. What happened with Guns N Roses and Chinese Democracy? That album kept getting delayed and it hurt its record sales, so you are crazy to think that the same won't happen with this album. Plus if the songs that have been released or leaked that are supposed to be on the album are any indication of what the album is going to be like then I don't want to get it.
I think the reason the Guns N Roses album didn't sell was because it was a piece of shit.

I have waited for Detox for so long and have faith that Dre will release something good.

It will probably never live up to the lofty expectations, but if there are even 5 or 6 banging tracks on it then I think it's worthwhile.
Old 06-11-11, 06:44 AM

The song Die Hard is the best release so far from the record and he needs to shoot a video for that song!
Old 06-25-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Full interview http://www.billboard.com/#/column/th...05242112.story

After all was talked through, 50 and Dre took advantage of the moment and collaborated with Dr. Dre's for the next single off Dre's "Detox," titled, "The Psycho."

"We sat down, we cleared that up, me and Dre, and then we said, 'Let's just get back to the music and do what we do,'" 50 Cent continued. "Immediately after, we wrote a song together called 'The Psycho'; it's Dre's next single."
Old 06-25-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gerrythedon View Post
Full interview http://www.billboard.com/#/column/th...05242112.story

After all was talked through, 50 and Dre took advantage of the moment and collaborated with Dr. Dre's for the next single off Dre's "Detox," titled, "The Psycho."

"We sat down, we cleared that up, me and Dre, and then we said, 'Let's just get back to the music and do what we do,'" 50 Cent continued. "Immediately after, we wrote a song together called 'The Psycho'; it's Dre's next single."
So that interview basically confirmed that the whole album will be released one single at a time.
Old 06-26-11, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Detox will come out this year. Dre is on steroids and pumped up.

The shit will be hot as hell and on and poppin (hope i spelt that right)
Old 06-26-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
Detox will come out this year. Dre is on steroids and pumped up.

The shit will be hot as hell and on and poppin (hope i spelt that right)
The album will come out this year............one song at a time.
Old 06-27-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd View Post
Stop kidding yourself. Chinese Democracy didn't sell because it featured only one member of the "real" GNR and was absolutely horrible.

If Dre's record is even half decent, it will sell millions and millions of copies and no one will care if 1 wasn't to you.
Old 07-16-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-16-11, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gerrythedon View Post
That "Voice of the Underdog" guy does fire some hot shit right there.

Based on all the posts on that Detox site from various articles, it really doesn't seem like Detox will even get released this year.

Dre will have to start working hard on it over the next couple of months if he even wants a November release.

I think the main thing is the songs he's put out so far are just so so. "I Need A Doctor" is an Eminem song.
Old 08-12-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

D.O.C. Talks About Dr. Dre Reunion

In a recent interview with the Dallas Observer, D.O.C. says that he was working on Dr. Dre’s Detox album again (after the two suffered a rift following a verbal altercation in 2009) and that he’s working on his own musical comeback. The raspy-voiced rapper, whose larynx was damaged in a 1989 car accident and cost him his budding career, is also waiting to see if he qualifies for a stem-cell surgery that could potentially restore his voice to what it used to be.

Since the crash, D.O.C. has stayed behind the scenes producing and ghost writing for other artists, mainly with Dr. Dre. D.O.C., whose real name is Tracy Curry, says Dre has been paying him an annual $20k retainer fee along with royalty checks. He’s also trying to get back pay for ghostwriting for Dre’s 2001 and earlier Ruthless Records projects.

“I’m probably one of the best motherf–kers to ever pick up a microphone and spit in it,” he says. “But you’d never really know that because I never really got a chance to show you.”

AFTERMATHMUSIC.com
Old 09-25-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kendrick Lamar interview
“Detox is getting mixed. That’s all I can say. It’s getting mixed. I could say anything about Detox, nobody would ever believe me. I got a few. I don’t know what’ll stick, as of yet. The creative process is so crazy as far as going in there and narrowing down all these songs. Thousands of songs.

6min20sec mark and on [Detox talk, some funny shit]
Old 09-25-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they could only pick out 12-15 good songs from those thousands then we would have an album already.
Old 10-01-11, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

@ 5min48sec and on, some good stuff. You can tell Snoop really wants to deliver to DRE.

Doggisodes Ep. 9 – Studio Session: Recording for Detox

“We need to leave here with 4 Hit Records for Dr. Dre, 2 solo and 2 with me on it.” (Snoop)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.