Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

KORN: "Korn III -- Remember Who You Are"

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-03-10, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Korn Signs With Roadrunner, Album Due In June

Veteran hard rock act Korn has signed a worldwide recording deal with Roadrunner Records.

The band's first release on the label will be its ninth studio set "Korn III -- Remember Who You Are," produced by Ross Robinson, who collaborated with the band on its first two albums.

An exact street date is yet to be announced, although a spokesperson for the label says it's eyeing a June 2010 international release.

In 2005, Korn inked a widely reported two-album deal with EMI/Virgin, which netted the metal stalwart $25 million upfront from the major. As part of the deal, EMI acquired a 30% stake in Korn's overall business through to 2010.

The new deal with Roadrunner Records is a worldwide recording agreement that doesn't include any other ancillary rights.

"When it came to putting this record out, we could not think of anyone better to help us than Roadrunner, the only label that even understands rock music anymore," said bassist Fieldy in a statement.

According to Roadrunner Records, Korn has sold 30 million albums worldwide since its eponymous debut was released in 1994.

This summer, the band takes to the road as joint headliner of the third annual 2010 Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival. Fellow rock veteran Rob Zombie will be sharing headlining duties on the 24-date multi-act amphitheater tour, which takes place this July and August at venues across America and Canada.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 04-03-10, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: KORN: "Korn III -- Remember Who You Are"

So they're considering the Untitled 2007 album to be "Korn II"? I thought Jonathan Davis said they left it just untitled so fans could call it whatever they wanted.

I'm excited, but I've liked their transition over the past few years. They had said that they're going for a more 'classic' metal sound this time around.. usually when bands revert back it can be ho-hum, but I'm hoping for a decent album.
Old 04-03-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to LOVE Korn back in the day. I had listened to them since their first album came out up through whatever album was after Issues. But then they just kept getting worse and worse, and their sound was so stale and boring. I haven't listened to them much for the past 8 years or so. I'll admit I have very mild interest in hearing what they do with Robinson producing again. I might give it a spin or two, but I don't see myself getting back into them again.
Old 04-04-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Davis got to whiney for me. Korn's first few albums were great, although my impression may have more to do with my musical knowledge at that time. I can't remember the last time I chose to listen to Korn.
Old 04-04-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
This video speaks less to the heart and more to sphincter.

I liked Korn up to Issues but I think the band has run its course.
Old 04-04-10, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since Ross Robinson is producing I will give this a listen, but if it sucks..that'll be the end of it.
Old 04-05-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't been a huge fan of their albums for awhile now.. but they still put on an awesome show live!
Old 04-09-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope this means a tour and some of their catalog releases on Rock Band.
Old 04-09-10, 06:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

6th and 7th grade i was a Korn fan
Old 04-09-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope they come back with something fresh sounding, to get me excited.
Old 06-04-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-04-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Korn III - Remember Who You Are" track listing:

01. Oildale (Leave Me Alone)
02. Pop A Pill
03. Fear Is A Place To Live
04. Move On
05. Lead The Parade
06. Let The Guilt Go
07. The Past
08. Never Around
09. Are You Ready To Live?
10. Holding All These Lies

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=139070
Old 06-27-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Korn Returns To Its Roots With 'Remember' Album

The new Korn album comes by its title honestly: Following a pair of efforts on which the pioneering nü-metal band pushed its sound in unlikely new directions, "Remember Who You Are" presents a return to the moody but muscular style that drove such late-'90s landmarks as "Follow the Leader" and "Issues" to combined sales that exceeded 7.3 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"With our last record we just hit a wall creatively with all the experimentation," Korn frontman Jonathan Davis says of 2007's untitled disc, which prominently featured keyboardist Zac Baird. (For help making 2005's "See You on the Other Side" Davis and his bandmates recruited the Matrix, the songwriting/production team best-known for its work on Avril Lavigne's debut.) "It was like, 'What more can we add to this fucking motherfucker?' "

Korn recorded "Remember" with Ross Robinson, who also produced the band's first two albums. "We wanted to make a stripped-down record with just the four of us," Davis says, referring to guitarist James "Munky" Shaffer, bassist Reginald "Fieldy" Arvizu and new drummer Ray Luzier. "And the idea popped into my head to use Ross again. I knew Munky had been talking to him, so I asked him to ask Ross, and Ross said, 'Hell yeah-let's do this.' "

Robinson says, "They've had songwriters and weird musicians and electronic stuff on the last couple of records. But none of that had anything to do with what created Korn. My job was to make sure none of that was in there. And it wasn't."

Due July 13, "Remember Who You Are" launches the group's new deal with Roadrunner Records, which signed Korn after the band fulfilled its two-album pact with EMI. Davis says the band and its manager, Peter Katsis, "thought long and hard" about how to issue the new album, including the possibility of a Nine Inch Nails-style online self-release. "But that's not like putting an actual CD out where there's a marketing team behind you pushing the record," Davis continues. "There's certain bands or certain kinds of records that [an online self-release] is good for; it obviously worked well for Trent [Reznor]. But in our eyes it's just not there yet."

"Roadrunner is a rock label that understands rock music and the whole culture centered around it," says Katsis, who points to the label's success with Slipknot as a primary enticement. "They understood the type of back-to-basics record Korn was making and were very enthusiastic about it. It all just seemed to click."

"We clearly see where the band came from and where it's gotten to, and we've been admirers over the years," Roadrunner president Jonas Nachsin says. "So when the opportunity came up for us to potentially work with them in the next phase of their career, we jumped at the chance. And when we heard the music we jumped even faster."

Senior VP of marketing and creative services Madelyn Scarpulla says that given the label's profile in the hard rock scene, Korn's signing to Roadrunner "is an almost automatic way to reach the band's core fans." At the same time, she adds, "we absolutely believe there are more fans out there to be had."

The "Remember" rollout began in early May when the label premiered lead single "Oildale (Leave Me Alone)" on RoadrunnerRecords.com; it also offered a free download of another album track to members of its e-mail list, which Scarpulla says contains "upwards of 500,000 names." Korn hosted MTV2's "Headbangers Ball" May 25, and the channel premiered the "Oildale" video May 31. On July 1 the band will perform on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" and do an in-store appearance at a Los Angeles Hot Topic outlet following the taping. And beginning July 10 in San Bernardino, Calif., Korn will headline this summer's Mayhem Festival alongside Rob Zombie and Lamb of God.

In addition to the album's standard version, Roadrunner will release a CD/DVD special edition with extra tracks, in-the-studio videoclips and additional packaging, as well as a red vinyl edition available only through the Roadrunner store. Digitally, "Remember Who You Are" will be available as an iTunes LP with interactive artwork and an exclusive live track; Walmart.com will also offer exclusive video content.

"It's nice working with a company that can deal with all the craziness involved in putting out a record, so we can just go out there and focus on doing what we do," Davis says. "They actually have locals who show up at our shows. I haven't seen that since the early '90s."

BILLBOARD.com
Old 06-27-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

video for their song "oildate"
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JxG--QrKMAw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JxG--QrKMAw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-29-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yawn...
Old 06-30-10, 07:39 PM

Korn was cool in like 6th/7th grade
Old 06-30-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Nope, didn't care for the song.

I guess I will be seeing them in a couple weeks, since my neighbor got tickets for me to see Lamb of God at the same show. Hopefully, Davis isn't sucking on an oxygen tank like he has in the past.
Old 07-01-10, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redrum View Post
6th and 7th grade i was a Korn fan
Really?
Old 07-01-10, 11:55 PM

lol didn't even notice i posted in here, my bad
Old 08-19-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

What? I'm well past those years and I'm about to pick this one up in a little bit. I like it a lot.
Old 08-19-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I was also a fan of Korn back in middle school (late 90's). Listening to that new single, I'm asking myself what the hell I ever saw in them.
Old 08-19-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Solid Album

I like these, with the first 3 being my favorites:

01. Oildale (Leave Me Alone)
02. Pop A Pill
03. Fear Is A Place To Live

06. Let The Guilt Go
07. The Past
Old 08-24-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice to Korn. If you're gonna make a music video hire a good director and spend some money on it. Otherwise don't make a video at all.
Old 08-24-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a tad (only a tad cause I almost passed myself) surprised at all the people dismissing the album - I think it puts them back on track.....I myself fell out during/after Issues but really only like their first & Issues....and now this one.

With that said, I do dig the studio versions of the songs:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_SmJ-0O43Ec?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_SmJ-0O43Ec?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ns6OboxGHLM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ns6OboxGHLM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-v7GPQyhaY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-v7GPQyhaY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-24-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah the dvd is pretty cool and actually the album sounds better on it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.