DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   NOFX's "Fat Mike" has no respect for fans, pees in drinks. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/571649-nofxs-fat-mike-has-no-respect-fans-pees-drinks.html)

Boba Fett 03-31-10 04:49 PM

NOFX's "Fat Mike" has no respect for fans, pees in drinks.

The gist of the story:

At SXSW, Fat Mike passed a bottle of tequila around the crowd, and after some time had passed, played a video showing himself urinating into the bottle backstage then coming out on stage to pass it out. He then mockingly taunted the crowd saying urine wasn't a biohazard and they couldn't do anything legally to him.

SOURCE: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...ns-drink-urine

Never been a fan of the band, but if I was, I'd be done with them at this point.

auto 03-31-10 04:59 PM

Re: NOFX's "Fat Mike" has no respect for fans, pees in drinks.

Yeah, and there is no way he was joking!

FatTony 03-31-10 06:23 PM

Full video of the performance available here, if you dare. Obviously NSFW, and the crowd is full of totally obnoxious assholes.

I watched the whole thing yesterday and I find it hilarious that so many people were duped by what is pretty clearly an "Andy Kaufman meets GG Allin with a dash of Shakes The Clown" act. I don't doubt the validity of the stories (as disturbing as they are), but Fat Mike isn't so stupid that he'd open himself to being sued over a stunt like this. Dude is in one of the biggest punk rock bands in the world and owns one of the most successful and respected independent labels out there. He has money, and I doubt he wants to lose a bunch of it over something this silly. No way was it actually his urine.

To paraphrase a line from Die Hard With A Vengeance: The only thing better than tricking a crowd into drinking your urine is making a bunch of people (and the entire internet) think you did.

Also, OP needs to re-read the last bit of the article. He didn't taunt the crowd saying urine wasn't a biohazard, he said that in an interview with TMZ.

Josh-da-man 03-31-10 06:36 PM

Never drink out a bottle that you're not 100% sure of.

Groucho 03-31-10 06:53 PM

How could fans tell the difference between a bottle of piss and NOFX's latest album?

Liver&Onions 03-31-10 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10081597)
How could fans tell the difference between a bottle of piss and NOFX's latest album?

I give up.

zombeaner 03-31-10 07:51 PM

I think it is genius. I wouldn't put it past him if it were real. That whole set is an amazing piece of performance art. Even the douchebag audience can't ruin it.

FatTony 03-31-10 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 10081560)

Truth, and with Fat Mike holding the bottle, they should consider themselves lucky it was only piss.

The funniest thing to me is that he spends a few minutes verbally assaulting the crowd with these disturbing stories and they still hang on his every word when he starts playing a song. Even at the end, the crowd didn't really seem that upset by the fact that he fed a bunch of them his piss.

FantasticVSDoom 03-31-10 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10081597)

As much as I used to love NOFX, this is pretty much as true as it gets...

Sean O'Hara 03-31-10 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 10081391)
Never been a fan of the band, but if I was, I'd be pissed.

Fixed.

Numanoid 03-31-10 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 10081560)

Hell, I wouldn't drink out of a bottle some random stranger next to me at a concert drank from, period. You're more likely to catch something from the mouths of the creeps who drank before you than the urine of somebody.

Lastdaysofrain 04-01-10 07:34 AM

My old band played with them in the late 90s and he was a very unpleasant person.

TripWire 04-01-10 09:17 AM

that's so punk rock

parker63 04-01-10 09:24 AM

Well that certainly was in bad taste.

islandclaws 04-01-10 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10081932)
Hell, I wouldn't drink out of a bottle some random stranger next to me at a concert drank from, period. You're more likely to catch something from the mouths of the creeps who drank before you than the urine of somebody.

This.

Sean O'Hara 04-01-10 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by TripWire (Post 10082438)
that's so punk rock

Sounds more like a frat party.

ResIpsa 04-02-10 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain (Post 10082253)
My old band played with them in the late 90s and he was a very unpleasant person.

I shared a flat with him for a year or so in the late 80s. He was an ok guy then. I'll never forget the sight of him coming back from a GG Allin show with shit and vomit all over him and Erin. He seemed a bit perturbed by it so maybe the tequila-piss bottle was his small way of paying it forward :)

Tarantino 04-02-10 10:04 AM

Even more disturbing is how no one realized they were drinking piss and not tequila.

Mopower 04-02-10 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 10084581)
Even more disturbing is how no one realized they were drinking piss and not tequila.

Makes you think doesn't it? What do you think Tequila is made from?

FatTony 04-02-10 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 10084581)

The bottle was still about 2/3 full of tequila, so it wasn't 100% piss. It was Patrón, too.

DJLinus 05-25-10 08:11 PM

Update:

Turns out you (probably) didn't drink Fat Mike's piss at SXSW
by Kyle Ryan May 25, 2010

NOFX frontman Fat Mike Burkett, a.k.a. Cokie The Clown, created a minor media firestorm in March when he passed out tequila shots allegedly laced with his own urine at a SXSW performance. The stunt got him banned from Austin club Emo's, landed some attention from TMZ, and made Fat Wreck Chords employees stare at their feet and awkwardly mumble when asked by strangers what they did for a living.

Two months later, Fat Mike has broken his silence: "Suckers." That's what shows up on a video showing him swap the pee-laced bottle for another (presumably urine-free) one before performing at Emo's.

So the whole thing was a hoax? Or is this just a prelude to another video to come in July showing Mike pissing in that other bottle? And what are the odds anyone will give a shit by that point?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IhigrrBcgAI&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IhigrrBcgAI&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.avclub.com/articles/turns...es-piss,41517/

cdollaz 05-25-10 08:58 PM

Either way, it's time to grow up, asshat.