Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Mumford & Sons

Old 09-25-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mumford & Sons -- new album 09/24/2012

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
A bit late now, but I saw them at the Fillmore last year and I'm seeing them on Tuesday at Red Rocks and I think they are worth every penny, they put on a really good show.

Last year the highlight was probably them coming out to the center of the stage literally completely unplugged and acoustic and hushed the 4K size crowd and jammed a couple of songs, so rare to have the kind of intamcy of a bar show at that large of a venue. Great vibe, I don't know how anybody can hear their music and not want to stomp your foot or dance. Seriously counting the days until next Tuesday.
They recorded both red rocks shows for hopefully a future dvd release and here is the video they recorded there for the first video of the new album. See that speck in the 40th row, that's me!

The show was amazing, such a good vibe and I highly recommend catching them live whenever you can. There's a good concert review that breaks it down, but for them to give you the intamcy of a bar show at a 9,000 seat venue was truly awe inspiring.

Old 09-26-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Not really that big of a fan this time around. Lacks the variety of Sigh No More and I don't know, seems a bit heavy handed. A few more listens are in order but I guess I was expecting more.
Old 09-26-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not really that big of a fan this time around. Lacks the variety of Sigh No More and I don't know, seems a bit heavy handed. A few more listens are in order but I guess I was expecting more.
I'm enjoying it more after a few listens. The cover of the Boxer is great (if you got the extended version).
Old 09-27-12, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Album is on Spottie. Deluxe version is fully available, you just have to add their cover of "The Boxer" separately, as it's not on their album, but it is on Jerry's.

Listened to it almost twice today. Nice, but kind of a depressing listen at work.
Old 09-27-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That pretty much sums up my feelings of the album as well. Didn't love it at first, but it's definitely grown on me over the last few listens. Definitely a downer of an album though.

On a side note, it's been one hell of a month for album releases!
Old 10-07-12, 04:00 PM

wow...

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart-w...013219277.html

Mumford & Sons' sophomore album Babel sold 600K copies in its first week, which is the biggest first-week total by any album since Drake's Take Care sold 631K in its first week in November. Babel sold more copies than the next seven albums on The Billboard 200 combined. That's especially impressive because those seven albums include new releases by such heavyweight acts as Green Day and No Doubt.

"If you (had) told me in the '90s that I'd be in a chart battle with Green Day, I probably would have just laughed at you," Mumford & Sons' member Ted Dwane told the British rock publication NME. Mumford & Sons is not only in such a battle, it is winning it with ease. Babel outsold Uno! in its first week by a margin of more than four-to-one in the U.S. and more than three-to-one in the U.K.

Babel posted the biggest first-week tally for a rock album since AC/DC's Black Ice debuted with sales of 784K in October 2008. (Mumford & Sons, which blends strains of contemporary folk and alternative music, and hard rock veterans AC/DC are at opposite ends of the rock spectrum, to be sure.)

Babel also debuts at #1 in the U.K. It's Mumford & Sons' first #1 album in both the U.S. and the U.K. The group's 2010 debut album, Sigh No More, peaked at #2 in both countries. Babel is the first album by a U.K. act to reach #1 in both countries since Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto a year ago.

Babel sold 420K digital copies in the U.S., which is the second-largest one-week tally ever for a digital album. The old record belonged to Lady Gaga's Born This Way, which sold 662K digital copies in its first week in May 2011. (Gaga's record comes with an asterisk. Her digital tally includes an estimated 400K copies that were sold for 99-cents by Amazon MP3 during release week.) Babel set a new record for the highest one-week digital sales tally for a rock album. The old record was held by Mylo Xyloto, which sold 302K digital copies in its first week in October 2011.
Old 10-09-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

selling 600,000 copies in one week is a huge deal these days where most albums don't come close to that anymore

I have a feeling Mumford & Sons will continue to get bigger.
Old 10-16-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Listened to it almost twice today. Nice, but kind of a depressing listen at work.
Originally Posted by TheDude
That pretty much sums up my feelings of the album as well. Didn't love it at first, but it's definitely grown on me over the last few listens. Definitely a downer of an album though.
Agreed it's a bit on the depressing side, but I happen to love that right now as I'm going through some stuff that just hits home with this album. Gave it a few spins and still need to listen some more, but as far as stand outs for me: obviously 'I Will Wait' has been painting my spirit gold since it's release as a single. Other stand outs are 'ghosts that we knew', 'lovers of the light', and 'below my feet'. Also, with the deluxe edition, some songs are so identifiable with the original artist that I consider them uncoverable, but boy did Mumford prove me wrong with 'the boxer'.
Old 10-16-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just heard a M&S song for the first time on a station near Atlanta this weekend and me and my wife loved it. Great, great stuff if you ask me.
Old 10-24-12, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The album is great! I listened to it almost non-stop on a 14 hour flight back home. I am obsessed with Holland Road, Ghost That We Knew and Lovers' Eyes. On the plane I started tearing up during countless plays of Ghosts That We Knew and had to hide my face because I didn't want anyone to think I was going mental on a plane or anything. lol.

While it hasn't grown on me like their debut (that is a masterpiece, IMO) it's still an excellent album that does continue to grow and grow. The debut has had a lot of time to grow on me so I'm sure this one will as well.
Old 08-01-13, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
Re: Mumford & Sons

Alice Cooper is not a fan

The 65-year-old shock rocker lambasted the folk groups during a recent interview with Fuse, claiming their music isn't true rock.

"I just feel like this whole generation maybe all need to eat a steak," Cooper said. "Maybe they need to quit eating, you know, vegetarian food and get out there and get some blood pumping in their system."

Cooper mocked the bands' lyrics and instrumentals, saying the acts do not play "real rock 'n' roll." Their sentimental approaches to music and the accordions and flutes that adorn the stage during performances has no place among the genre, the aged singer says.

Labeling Mumford & Sons and The Lumineers rock bands is "an offense," according to Cooper. To him, that term should be reserved for acts like the Foo Fighters and Green Day.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3591564.html

http://www.fuse.tv/videos/2013/07/fu...oper-interview

Old 08-01-13, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's such a general term, though. Just labeling bands like Foo Fighters and Green Day as 'rock and roll' is a disservice to the rock and roll acts before them.

At least M&S can play their instruments and not have to resort to stage acts like using snakes, I guess.

Can't wait to see them in September.
Old 08-01-13, 07:38 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I love M&S and the Lumineers, but I'd never consider them "rock bands"
Old 08-01-13, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm not a fan of these bands either, but they don't exist in the same space as the bands I like so it doesn't really matter. I don't know who's referring to them as rock because they aren't IMO.

It's not like there weren't bands around like this when Cooper was in his prime during the 70's. They're just getting more popular now for some reason.

I did snicker at the comment about eating a steak though.
Old 08-01-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I'm not into those bands myself, but "Rock" is just a label - doesn't it really matter what they're labelled... the key is if the music is good or not.

Even though I'm not much of a fan of either band, I prefer their music over anything AC has ever done. AC is 65 years old - might be time to grow up a bit.

Last edited by Coral; 08-01-13 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

IMO, in order for something to be "rock" these days, an electric guitar needs to make an appearance, and probably with at least a little overdrive. If the only guitars you play are acoustic, I don't see how you can be rock.

And for the record I never cared for anything Alice Cooper did either.
Old 08-01-13, 01:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As someone who's played string instruments since 3rd grade, I can really appreciate the intricaties and harmonies created by Mumford & Sons.

I'm not going to defend the folk/bluegrass comeback as a whole, because every time I've seen The Lumineers performing on talk shows they make me want to punch them all in the face just based on the way they look and act during their performances. They seem incredibly fake and irritating. And Phillip Phillips is a tool that was molded by American Idol to take advantage of the current trend.

Mumford & Sons seem like people who just genuinely love the style of music that they play and probably grew up on it. Just like how Squirrel Nut Zippers genuitely loved southern Jazz and that's why played it.

It seems to me that Alice Cooper just doesn't like them being lumped into Rock 'n' Roll and I think anyone who would call Mumford & Sons "rock 'n' roll" is a moron. It's just like how Trent Reznor was offended when he won a "Heavy Metal" award because he's not heavy metal and never has been.
Old 08-01-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlers
As someone who's played string instruments since 3rd grade, I can really appreciate the intricaties and harmonies created by Mumford & Sons.

I'm not going to defend the folk/bluegrass comeback as a whole, because every time I've seen The Lumineers performing on talk shows they make me want to punch them all in the face just based on the way they look and act during their performances. They seem incredibly fake and irritating. And Phillip Phillips is a tool that was molded by American Idol to take advantage of the current trend.

Mumford & Sons seem like people who just genuinely love the style of music that they play and probably grew up on it. Just like how Squirrel Nut Zippers genuitely loved southern Jazz and that's why played it.

It seems to me that Alice Cooper just doesn't like them being lumped into Rock 'n' Roll and I think anyone who would call Mumford & Sons "rock 'n' roll" is a moron. It's just like how Trent Reznor was offended when he won a "Heavy Metal" award because he's not heavy metal and never has been.
I'm really sick of these songs like the two big hits by Phillip Philips and Lumineers that use these HeyOh and Wowowowwos as their main hooks. It's just reminds me of cruise commercials (where I'm sure both these songs will end up). It's also cheap, uninventive and lacking of originality.
Old 08-01-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not trying to threadcrap, but I find M&S to be contrived and formulaic. They use folk/bluegrass signifiers like strummy guitars, kick drums, banjos and yearning vocals to try to sound "real" and "rootsy", but their arrangements, lyrics and song structures sound to me like superficial appeals to stadium sing-alongs. I don't hear any "blood" in the music, it's just lightly disguised pop tunes. There's nothing wrong with pop / stadium music at all. It's more that M&S' rootsy arrangement and image seem like paper-thin attempts to align themselves with current trends while peddling music that's lowest-common-denominator. I find the whole thing a little cynical.
Old 08-01-13, 03:07 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
I'm really sick of these songs like the two big hits by Phillip Philips and Lumineers that use these HeyOh and Wowowowwos as their main hooks. It's just reminds me of cruise commercials (where I'm sure both these songs will end up). It's also cheap, uninventive and lacking of originality.
This.
Old 08-02-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Not trying to threadcrap, but I find M&S to be contrived and formulaic. They use folk/bluegrass signifiers like strummy guitars, kick drums, banjos and yearning vocals to try to sound "real" and "rootsy", but their arrangements, lyrics and song structures sound to me like superficial appeals to stadium sing-alongs. I don't hear any "blood" in the music, it's just lightly disguised pop tunes. There's nothing wrong with pop / stadium music at all. It's more that M&S' rootsy arrangement and image seem like paper-thin attempts to align themselves with current trends while peddling music that's lowest-common-denominator. I find the whole thing a little cynical.
agreed.
Try Old Crow Medicine Show for a more authentic sound. Of course they're more bluegrass than folk.
Old 08-02-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Maybe Cooper has reached that old man get off my lawn stage.
Old 08-04-13, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
The Get Off My Lawn Stage has the best lineup at Rockfest!
Old 08-04-13, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Wasn't that the theme of Rocklahoma this year?
Old 08-04-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I can't see how folks who are fans of acts like the Pogues and the Avett Brothers wouldn't dig them.
how about because both those bands do everything better

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.