DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Fan-Remastered Discs.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/571030-fan-remastered-discs.html)

AnonomusBob15 03-18-10 08:52 PM

Fan-Remastered Discs....

recently stumbled across a blog that has gone through an extremely careful detailed process of remastering the Joy Division and New Order singles put out by Factory Records. The end result sounds amazing, completely blows away the recent reissues of both bands.....

Anyways just wondering if there had been any other similar projects for bands that have had their catalogue remastered poorly, and some devoted fan has gone back and done the tracks right....

I saw a thread for Fan edits in the movie forum, so I figured this is along the same lines.

Rypro 525 03-18-10 08:57 PM

Re: Fan-Remastered Discs....

There are several high quality fan remasters of Metallica's Death Magnetic, as the album version sounds like shit

Supermallet 03-18-10 10:24 PM

I know someone was working on a Beatles remaster series, but scrapped it when he heard the official remasters.

Dan 03-19-10 12:08 AM

I remember when Rush released Vapor Trails, someone posted instructions on how to get it to sound better (and less 'clippy') using Cool Edit Pro, I believe. Now that Rush has released two "remastered" tracks from that album, it appears that one day we might get an official remaster of the entire thing.

UAIOE 03-19-10 02:54 AM

I wish someone would remaster the solo CD of former KMFDM member En Esch.

The vocals seem to be mixed low and the lyrics are really hard to understand.

atlantamoi 03-19-10 03:36 AM

Not sure I've heard fan remasters, unless you throw in DTS conversions. There are tons of fan made 5.1 attempts out there on various recordings. Some are okay, some are fantastic.

statcat 03-19-10 12:17 PM

"the purple chick" 10 cd of the complete Buddy Holly. They have also done beatles stuff.

AnonomusBob15 03-19-10 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by statcat (Post 10058381)
"the purple chick" 10 cd of the complete Buddy Holly. They have also done beatles stuff.

i've heard of purplechick, and have their excellent version of Smile.

WMAangel 03-19-10 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 10057302)
There are several high quality fan remasters of Metallica's Death Magnetic, as the album version sounds like shit

Oh so true....the Guitar Hero stems were like a dream come true in comparison to the clipped, over-compressed, no dynamic range dog crap the retail CD is....there are all kinds of different mixes out there, with various nuances for basically anybody's preference! -smile-

so it goes 03-20-10 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 (Post 10057291)
recently stumbled across a blog that has gone through an extremely careful detailed process of remastering the Joy Division and New Order singles put out by Factory Records. The end result sounds amazing, completely blows away the recent reissues of both bands.....

Do you have a link to this? I would be interested in hearing these.

ResIpsa 03-21-10 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by so it goes (Post 10060775)
Do you have a link to this? I would be interested in hearing these.

Yeah, I was wanting to ask the same thing. I found it pretty easily via Google but good god, the guy compresses them to mp4 :hscratch:

AnonomusBob15 03-21-10 01:57 AM

i wouldn't post the links on the board, btw.

but yeah, mp4s sound better, but wont make FLACs available. The best part is the high quality artwork with each release. Particularly sordide sentimentle.