Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ex-Smiths Guitarist Johnny Marr Gets his Stolen 1964 Gibson SG Back

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-12-10, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BBCNews reports that Johnny Marr has been reunited with his treasured cherry red 1964 Gibson SG. Fan Stephen White, 38, admitted stealing the guitar after a Johnny Marr and the Healers show at the Scala nightclub in Kings Cross, London. He had kept the stolen Gibson in his north London living room since 2000.

White expressed remorse at a London court, saying that he was "disgusted" with himself for taking the instrument. The court sentenced him to 200 hours of community service. Marr had been so upset at the loss of his treasured Gibson SG, worth an estimated $45,000, that he offered a reward for information leading to its return.

PC Christopher Swain said that Marr "bears no malice" against Mr. White. A spokesman for Marr, who is currently in New Zealand with his band The Cribs said: "He is obviously very happy to have his guitar returned."

Johnny Marr rose to prominence in the 80s as the guitarist with the groundbreaking Smiths. He more recently worked with The The, Electronic, Modest Mouse and, in 2008, he joined The Cribs. Marr played his beloved 1964 Gibson SG on the road with Electronic and his solo band, the Healers, before it was stolen in 2000. The King of the Jangle is a Gibson aficionado, and a proud owner of several Gibson classics, including a Gibson 330, a 1961 Les Paul that he played on most of his Electronic work, and a prized 1959 Les Paul that he used with The The and to back up Simple Minds at the historic Mandela Day at Wembley Stadium in London in 1988.
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...nny-marr-0311/

Pretty cool story.
Old 03-12-10, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Ex-Smiths Guitarist Johnny Marr Gets his Stolen 1964 Gibson SG Back

For the first time in ten years, I will get a good night's sleep.
Old 03-12-10, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Ex-Smiths Guitarist Johnny Marr Gets his Stolen 1964 Gibson SG Back

I haven't thought of The Smiths in such a long time...what a great band. I could give a shit about the guitar but now I think I will go and listen to them again...thanks for the thread!