Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you justify liking music esposuing (radical) different views from yours?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-08-10, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First of all, justify isn't the right word, just the most appropriate I could come up with.

I've found myself conflicted lately because I'm bisexual and a active gay rights advocate, but I also love reggae and a lot of rap music, both cultures that for the most part are very anti-gay. I first confronted this issue as a teenager when I accepted atheism but found myself attracted to some religious music. I eventually came to accept that I didn't have to buy into a philosophy to appreciate it's musical products. The anti-gay issue is quite different however, the religious songs I was into didn't encourage the abuse/beating/murder of non-believers. Anyone who has done more then scratch the surface of reggae knows how anti gay and violent it can be. I have a very hard time justifying spending my money lining the pockets of someone who hates me. Everyone else out there, please tell me how you (if at all) you deal with this.
Old 03-08-10, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How do you justify liking music esposuing (radical) different views from yours?

I guess that I don't. Most music I listen to identifies with my general beliefs.
Old 03-08-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: How do you justify liking music esposuing (radical) different views from yours?

i dont care about lyrics for the most part. if they are good then it is a nice bonus.
Old 03-08-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to not care as much, but as I've gotten older I've realized that I have no interest in hearing someone spout off about stuff I am totally against.
Old 03-08-10, 12:50 PM
Banned by request

I'm an atheist and listen to a few artists who are very openly religious (Nick Cave being a good example). In those cases, I realize that the artist is singing about their personal belief, and is not demanding I as a listener also believe. And that's fine with me.

I can't stand reggae even without lyrics, but I am aware of the violent anti-gay stance many reggae artists have. So I say fuck 'em. Fuck 'em up their stupid asses.
Old 03-08-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
I used to not care as much, but as I've gotten older I've realized that I have no interest in hearing someone spout off about stuff I am totally against.
I sort of fall into this category. I am a Christian and listen to a lot of secular music. I used to never care about lyrics. More recently, I have been paying more attention and generally avoid songs with lyrics I find particularly egregious. Though, it is pretty easy to find lots of music in any genre I like with non-offensive lyrics.
Old 03-08-10, 02:01 PM

I am an atheist and as liberal as you can get but can still enjoy Elvis's and Johnny Cash's gospel music. As long as the artist believes what they are singing about it is all good. I also listen to Slayer sing about killing people yet I would never do it myself.
Old 03-08-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You don't take it that seriously. I think some of GG Allin's music is hilarious in a twisted way but you would have to be insane to take it serious and live by it.
Old 03-08-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was quite left-wing during my musically formative years, twenty-some years ago. My politics are now much more conservative, and I'm more religious than I was in my youth. Growing up as a punk/New Wave fan, the music I listened to never really celebrated hedonism all that much anyways (at least compared to other genres), so from a religious perspective, I don't see the values espoused by The Clash, The Jam, U2, REM or the Police to be particularly contrary to my current views(although the nihilism of the Pistols on a few tracks doesn't sit that well with me now). As far as politics go, most of the artists I liked (and still like) expressed rather eclectic, individualistic world views as opposed to advocating a specific political ideology, so although I'm further to the right than most of my musical influences, I consider them to have their hearts in the right place---but they were just a bit less educated and informed than I am now.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable about reggae, but I don't seem to hear anti-gay sentiment or advocacy of violence from Bob Marley, and certainly not from the two-toners like Madness, the Specials or the Beat---I would think in most major genres of music you can find artists who play that style and also share your values. But yeah, I would not give money to artists whose music enthusiastically advocated values I was opposed to. And I must confess, ol' Billy Bragg doesn't get much play by Ky-Fi anymore.
Old 03-08-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
i dont care about lyrics for the most part. if they are good then it is a nice bonus.
Same here.
Old 03-08-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I'm not hugely knowledgeable about reggae, but I don't seem to hear anti-gay sentiment or advocacy of violence from Bob Marley, and certainly not from the two-toners like Madness, the Specials or the Beat
From time to time, I hear about boycotts and attempted official banishments of so-and-so reggae musician whose lyrics talk about "killin' de battyman" or some such garbage.
Old 03-09-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a very progressive local station called KEXP that does three hrs of reggae every Saturday morning, I'm sure they wouldn't be playing anything approaching anti-gay...so I assume there's enough out there to choose from. They stream online so you could check it out.

I'm religious so I generally avoid stuff I find obnoxiously offensive, but I'm not so sensitive I don't listen to and appreciate other points of view. Beyond the lyrics I have no idea what's in their head or personal beliefs, so I really don't look past the songs.

Last edited by Artman; 03-09-10 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-09-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It isn't so much traditional reggae as Dancehall that is overtly homophobic.
Old 03-09-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess we all have our lines. If my "imaginary" line is crossed in terms of core values, then yeah I will not listen to it. But it would be nearly impossible to listen to music that falls in line with your values perfectly. For example, I don't listen to music that feature spiritisic themes, disrespect for God, complete objection of women, glorifying violence etc. But there are tons of music that I listen to where the lyrics dont identify with my beliefs. Sometimes you can appreciate the emotion that someone is having although you may not have experienced the exact same thing. One of my Favorite Albums is A Perfect Circle's 13th Step. I havent so much as smoke a cigarette in my life much less done drugs. However, I can relate to the struggle of disclipine, addiction, feeling overpowered by something. These are human emotions we all feel.
Old 03-09-10, 01:08 PM

Funny, I listen to some music more because it shows disrespect for God and religion. Specifically Bad Religion and NoFX.
Old 03-09-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't listen to or support any artist who spouts off personal beliefs that are radically different from my own. As an atheist, I don't mind artists who sing about religion or god so long as it's not framed in a judgmental way. But as a liberal, I steadfastly refuse to listen to anything with even a hint of conservative views, homophobia, or pandering patriotism. I've sold off and deleted a handful of albums over the years due to finding out that these artists were saying something that was totally at odds with my own beliefs.

Last edited by FatTony; 03-12-10 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-09-10, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by FatTony View Post
I don't listen to or support any artist who spouts off personal beliefs that are radically different from my own. As an atheist, I don't mind artists who sing about religion or god so long as it's not framed in a judgmental way. But as a liberal, I steadfastly refuse to listen to anything with even a hint of conservative views, homophobia, or pandering patriotism. I've sold off and deleted a handful of albums over the years due after finding out that these artists were saying something that was totally at odds with my own beliefs.
I do the same to some degree. I try to vote with my wallet.
Old 03-09-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am an atheist and lean right on most financial/world issues yet my 3 favorite bands are U2, Pearl Jam, and Bruce Springsteen who are obviously some of the most liberal left-leaning popular artists out there.

Even though I may disagree politically with them, my heart understands where they are coming from and appreciates their passion and talent and ability to invoke emotion with their lyrics. My head however, realizes that a lot of their political beliefs aren't very realistic in the world we live in.
Old 03-10-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FatTony View Post
I don't listen to or support any artist who spouts off personal beliefs that are radically different from my own. As an atheist, I don't mind artists who sing about religion or god so long as it's not framed in a judgmental way. But as a liberal, I steadfastly refuse to listen to anything with even a hint of conservative views, homophobia, or pandering patriotism.
So if, hypothetically, you were a conservative you wouldn't listen to The Clash, Springsteen, or Bob Dylan?

I'm sorry, that's dumb.
Old 03-10-10, 03:50 PM

I don't have a problem being exposed to thinking different than my own. In fact, I'll sometimes look for it in books and other media. It can get me to explore in more depth my own thoughts on a subject and may make my own thoughts stronger, or may cause me to modify or change some of my views due to what I learned. In any case, it gives me a different point of view to consider, and a better understanding of where the other side (for lack of a better term) is coming from.

One example in music that I can think of is Ani Difranco. She has some pretty extreme views on the death penalty and other political topics. And these views wind up in her lyrics. That's fine. I like her music, I don't have to agree with every single line in her songs.

I guess where I'd draw the line though is if the music called for harm on groups like gays and minorities, etc. If someone where to start threatening abortion doctors in song, or extolling the joys of beating their woman when she misbehaves, etc. then I'm out. Although I guess do leave room for humor and satire- I mean where would we be without songs like "Beat on the Brat" and "Smack My Bitch Up".
Old 03-10-10, 04:19 PM

I listen to black metal and the satanic or NS beliefs don't bother me.
Old 03-10-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I have some problems with music who's political content differs from my views. My political beliefs are pretty far from O'Reilly/Limbaugh/Beck, but songs that have what I consider to be anti-American content bother me. I like songs that lay out legitimate and well thought out critiques of America, but when a song is proclaiming what I believe to be very biased or overly-simplified cheap shots, I'll admit to being irritated. I find it hard not to take it personally...

Another example: I can't stand the misogyny in rap. It's extremely rare for a critic to call out rap for some of the cretinously stupid, misogynistic lyrics you find in a lot of otherwise solid releases. This is nothing new, Ice Cube wrote a lot of stupid crap about women, as did Snoop (obviously). But now, when rap dominates the mainstream, it's a little ridiculous that even critics darlings like Kanye West get a pass on their misogyny. "The New Workout Plan" irritated me so much, I can't listen to Kanye's second album...

Last edited by Hiro11; 03-10-10 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
So if, hypothetically, you were a conservative you wouldn't listen to The Clash, Springsteen, or Bob Dylan?

I'm sorry, that's dumb.
That's a pretty big hypothetical, but if I were still as passionate about the things I believed, I probably wouldn't listen to any of those three. But as it stands, the only one I currently listen to is The Clash, so that's not saying much.
Old 03-10-10, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post

I'm sorry, that's dumb.
I would find it odd that conservatives would care for their music. Then again, Ronald Reagan didn't understand the message of "Born in the USA", so I guess I can see this happening.
Old 03-10-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Then again, Ronald Reagan didn't understand the message of "Born in the USA", so I guess I can see this happening.
That still is a mind-boggling blunder. You'd have to have a head full of rocks to think B.i.t.U.S.A. is a song suitable for a jingoistic pro-U.S.A. political campaign. Did no one on Ronnie Baby's staff listen to the lyrics and alert everyone else?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.