Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

OK Go "This Too Shall Pass" Video featuring Rube Goldberg Machine - AMAZING!!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

OK Go "This Too Shall Pass" Video featuring Rube Goldberg Machine - AMAZING!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: OK Go "This Too Shall Pass" Video featuring Rube Goldberg Machine - AMAZING!!

Those guys just make fantastically fun videos.
Old 02-18-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: OK Go "This Too Shall Pass" Video featuring Rube Goldberg Machine - AMAZING!!

Originally Posted by cungar
With the mute button on
Cungar you're a real tool when it comes to music because you don't hesitate for a second to talk shit about any music that doesn't conform to your "superior" tastes. And I'm not even an OK Go fan. It's getting real annoying seeing you post in a bunch of music threads about how much this song or that band sucks. I bet you're a Tom Waits fan.

Back on topic: very cool video! I thought the Rube Goldberg one in the OP was awesome as well.
Old 02-19-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

It's almost besides the point to criticise the song -- this was music made by driving a car past a series of musical obstacles as a certain speed using a series of pneumatic arms and levers -- I think that's amazingly brilliant. They tuned the lower register on all those pianos so that the same note would play no mater which keys were struck. I assume they did something similar with all those guitars. It's just a remarkable achievement.
Old 06-17-14, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Traxan
Another unremarkable song made interesting only by the video.
And here we OK Go again:

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/m86ae_e_ptU?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/m86ae_e_ptU?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Maybe the only band who I don't really care about the music. I just love their videos so much. You'd think they'd reach the point where they just give up trying to top themselves, but there's not there yet.
Old 06-17-14, 08:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

What's the title of the new song? Your video is not coming up

Nevermind found it. Writings on the wall

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-17-14 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The song didn't do much for me but the video was pretty freaking cool.
That's pretty much the hallmark of Ok Go. Great videos for shitty songs.
Old 06-17-14, 09:31 PM

So you've said. Repeatedly.
Old 06-17-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I happen to like "This Too Shall Pass" and this current song.
Old 06-18-14, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
So you've said. Repeatedly.
WTF are you talking about? I never commented on Ok Go before.
Old 06-18-14, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

WTF are you talking about? I never commented on Ok Go before.
Three times in just this two page thread...
Old 06-18-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph
Three times in just this two page thread...

Though perhaps it was just sleep posting

Yeah that's what I get for posting late at night. I didn't realize it was my own, I thought someone else said it.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-18-14 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-18-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What's the title of the new song? Your video is not coming up

Nevermind found it. Writings on the wall
It's not showing for me either. Let me try:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m86ae_e_ptU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-18-14, 11:36 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

If only they invested as much effort in their music as they do their videos...
Old 06-18-14, 03:54 PM
Banned

Whose to say "you're doing it wrong." In this music climate if you can find a niche good for you. Maybe there is a future for inivative video makers who just happen to also be bands.
Old 06-18-14, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool videos. If only the music were better.
Old 02-15-16, 12:56 AM

Another impressive music video from OK Go. This one shot inside a zero-gravity "vomit comet" like Apollo 13 :

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LWGJA9i18Co" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video FAQs :
http://okgo.net/2016/02/11/upside-down-inside-out-faq/
Old 11-24-16, 12:12 AM

OMG, their newest video "The One Moment" is maybe their best one yet. My son and I just watched it three times in a row. It's mind-blowing.
It's not on You Tube, only Facebook at the moment. I don't know how to embed that, but it's linked in this making-of story in rollingstone.com

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-ok-gos-latest-record-breaking-music-video-marvel-w452114

They're also doing something on the Colbert show tonight.
Old 11-24-16, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Some of you guys might find this amusing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PDVCpm10SQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-06-16, 03:02 AM

I dug the new 'one moment' video until the secret Morton Salt ad placement at the very end. WTF?
Old 12-06-16, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by neocheddar02
I dug the new 'one moment' video until the secret Morton Salt ad placement at the very end. WTF?
Product placement is part of their thing.

AJJ (the video I posted) also mocked it.
Old 12-07-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by neocheddar02
The very end? There's also the giant wall of exploding salt containers at the very beginning.

This isn't strictly speaking "product placement." It's to promote Morton Salt's Walk Her Walk charity campaign.

Anyway, here's the video for those who don't want to chase links:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QvW61K2s0tA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-14-20, 07:46 PM

All the video links are broken now.

They wrote and recorded a new song while sheltering in place. I don't really love the song that much, but it is interesting how they made it separately but together as a band; and the video demonstrates every track as it's being played and then layered into the song.

The following users liked this post:
Mabuse (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 05:35 PM
Banned

Wow, make sure you watch to the end. Amazing ending.
Old 02-10-23, 12:39 AM

OK Go launches a big legal battle :

OK Go, the Band, Fights Back Against ‘OK GO!’, the Breakfast Cereal: ‘Just Pick a New Name’

OK Go has no problem with brands. Over the years, the band has worked with companies like State Farm, Chevrolet and Morton Salt to create elaborate music videos that reliably go viral, earning a slew of advertising awards along the way. But for the last few months, the band’s lawyers have been in an escalating fight with one brand in particular — Post Foods — over a new grab-and-go cereal product called, naturally, OK GO! The band accuses Post of infringing on its trademark, which it has held since 2008. On Jan. 13, Post went to court, asking a federal judge in Minnesota to declare that the cereal does not violate the band’s rights. “It’s enraging… It seems like such cut-and-dry bullying,” said Damian Kulash, the band’s lead singer and guitarist, in an interview. “There are so many other things you could call your fucking cereal. Just pick one. Nobody looks good in this. Just pick a new name.” Trademark fights turn on the concept of “likelihood of confusion,” which can dilute the power of a trademark. Courts analyze a series of factors, including the strength of the plaintiff’s mark and the degree of competition between the two products, in deciding whether consumers might be confused. In its complaint, Post has asserted that there is no likelihood, because Post makes “high-quality, delicious cereal products,” while OK Go is a rock band. The band’s lawyers have countered that consumers will wrongly believe that OK Go has endorsed the cereal. Kulash argued that the band has spent decades developing a distinct image that many brands — including Post itself — have paid handsomely to associate themselves with. For each album, the band picks a handful of sponsors, and then spends months crafting music videos that convey a “wholesome type of amazement,” he said.
“I think it is a sense of resourcefulness, exuberance, and I guess the best word for it is creativity,” Kulash said. “The thing we make is a little dollop of joy and wonder and happiness in your life. We made this ornate, over-the-top thing, so you could experience some little moment of joy. That little jolt of dopamine — ‘What a cool little thing I got today’ — I think that’s a very popular thing for brands to want. “What they want is that sort of just-out-of-reach quality of things that are slightly better than real life, where things work out a little better,” he said. “It’s a great brand to have and one we’re not going to give away for free.” The band’s trademark lawyer, Alex Kaplan, argued that Post’s actions have diluted the band’s trademark. “It’s loss of control of their mark and their brand,” Kaplan said. “It’s definitely loss of any opportunity to work with any other cereal or other food company.

Post introduced the OK GO! product in January. It includes one of four Post cereals in a cup with powdered milk, and consumers can add cold water to get a bowl of cereal on the go. In a statement, Post said that it filed the lawsuit reluctantly, after efforts to resolve the dispute amicably went nowhere. “Our general policy is to not comment on pending litigation,” the company said. “However, we do want to clarify that Post is not seeking to stop the band OK Go from using its name in any way. Instead, we are simply asking a court to find that Post is legally able to use the words OK GO! on its new breakfast cereal product. Trademark law allows companies to use the same words on different types of goods and services — just like the word DELTA is used for faucets, air travel, and dental insurance.” Post’s lawyers have also stated in their complaint that Post offered to pay for a brand collaboration/co-marketing arrangement, but that the band refused. Kulash and his attorney disputed that characterization. “No offer was made,” Kulash said. The band is in the middle of working on a new record, with accompanying videos, and Kulash is also working on a feature film. “I’m working my ass off on creative work that I love doing,” he said. “This is a shitty waste of time. It feels so petty.”

Old 02-15-23, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah, that's pretty shitty of Post. It's a distinctive enough name that they should've known better.

I'm surprised by the dislike of OK Go's music in this thread. I've always enjoyed them as catchy pop rock. They seem like pretty decent guys and their music videos are incredible. I saw them play a tiny, hole-in-the-wall venue back in 2003 and then my wife and I saw them in 2019 at the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee. The latter show was a ton of fun. They basically did a storytellers concert where they talked about the background of making each of their music videos, then played the song live while the video played on a big screen. They took questions from the audience as well.

At that show, they also had everyone in attendance download an app that randomly assigned a color and had three buttons that played specific notes/sounds. For a song near the end, they had everyone crank their phone volume all the way up and essentially rolled a guitar hero-type scroll on the big screen, so the audience played the main melody on their phones. And they invited all the kids in attendance on stage for the final encore and handed out instruments to them, so they had like a hundred kids of various ages dancing and jamming with the band at the end. The next time they tour, we'll likely try to take our sons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.