DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The Black Keys: Brothers -- May 18th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/570222-black-keys-brothers-may-18th.html)

auto 03-02-10 09:48 AM

The Black Keys: Brothers -- May 18th

http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/brothers452.jpg

Good news! I never picked up BlakRoc because I couldn't find a decent price on it but I'll definitely be picking this up.

from pitchfork:

Between their hip-hop collaboration with Damon Dash, BlakRoc, Dan Auerbach's solo album, and Patrick Carney's Drummer project, it sure seemed like the two men of the Black Keys were putting their main band on hold for the time being. Well, they aren't. On May 18, Nonesuch will release Brothers, the sixth Black Keys album.

Mostly recorded at the famed Muscle Shoals studios in Alabama and mostly produced by Auerbach and Carney themselves, Brothers features one song ("Tighten Up") produced by Danger Mouse, who helmed the last Black Keys album, Attack and Release.

The Black Keys plan to tour this summer, though only a few dates have been announced so far, including performances as Bonnaroo and Central Park Summerstage.

Brothers:

01 Everlasting Light
02 Next Girl
03 Tighten Up
04 Howlin' for You
05 She's Long Gone
06 Black Mud
07 The Only One
08 Too Afraid to Love You
09 Ten Cent Pistol
10 Sinister Kid
11 The Go Getter
12 I'm Not the One
13 Unknown Brother
14 Never Gonna Give You Up
15 These Days

bralph 03-02-10 11:15 AM

Re: The Black Keys: Brothers -- May 18th

Great news! I can't wait. BTW, you are missing out having never gotten Blackroc. I love it.

auto 03-02-10 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by bralph (Post 10026568)
Great news! I can't wait. BTW, you are missing out having never gotten Blackroc. I love it.

Where did you buy it and what was the cost. The only place I could find was the website and they wanted like $8 for shipping a CD. It's enough to make me wanna steal music at those prices. :lol:

I'll pick it up some day when I see it used or on eBay.

bralph 03-02-10 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 10026927)
Where did you buy it and what was the cost. The only place I could find was the website and they wanted like $8 for shipping a CD. It's enough to make me wanna steal music at those prices. :lol:

It's been on iTunes and Amazon for awhile.

http://www.amazon.com/BlakRoc/dp/B00...7559072&sr=8-3

clappj 03-02-10 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 10026927)

I went the eBay route a while back and paid about $13 shipped for it.
Glad to hear about the upcoming Keys album!

Sessa17 03-02-10 03:50 PM

Awesome! One of my favorite bands ever, the beginning of "I Got Mine" is the ringtone on my iphone.

auto 03-03-10 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by bralph (Post 10026974)
It's been on iTunes and Amazon for awhile.

http://www.amazon.com/BlakRoc/dp/B00...7559072&sr=8-3

Ordered! Awesome, thanks. For some time after it was released it wasn't available anywhere but the website. Nice to see that has changed.

miller_time22 03-03-10 12:57 PM

I like the Black Keys but am surprised they are covering Rick Astley on this album (track 14). :lol:

Rival11 03-03-10 03:48 PM

Very cool - Wasn't too big a fan of Attack & Release but it will be interesting to see what they do this time out.

kstublen 03-22-10 10:23 PM

Here is the cover art:

http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/brothers452.jpg

Sessa17 03-23-10 04:27 PM

Awesome.

Rival11 04-02-10 02:31 PM

If you go to the black keys home page they are streaming one of the new tracks "Tighten up" - it's a decent song.

Rival11 04-02-10 08:49 PM

Ha - these guys are really letting their humor become a big part of their music - here's the video for Tighten up:

http://www.nonesuch.com/media/videos...eys-tighten-up

kstublen 04-02-10 08:59 PM

Really digging the new single. The video is pretty funny too. Thanks for posting it.

Rival11 04-05-10 09:37 PM

"Next Girl" is now up on their myspace page fucking awesome song (lyrics are excellent):

http://www.myspace.com/theblackkeys

Rival11 04-14-10 08:28 PM

They redid their site (finally) you can listen to tighten up and next girl in the upper left corner.

I still really dig next girl - just an awesome tune.

Rival11 05-07-10 06:29 PM

You can preview the album on amazon now - seems pretty mellow but definitely a BIG change in their style - sound more modern and I really like it.

Sessa17 05-25-10 04:06 PM

So, I have to say that I'm pretty dissapointed with this album which likely means that everyone here will love it.

This is one of my absolute favorite bands, still is, but I just don't like Dan's new direction. For the first 7 tracks this album is absolutely stellar, but after that the entire rest of the album is nothing but slow songs that start to sound a bit repetitive, dreary, and lackluster. For me, what made them unique is their stripped down, crunchy and raw two-man neo-blues riffs. I just kind of miss that and some of the slower songs really work, but now two albums in a row I wish they would include more fast-paced jams and leave the retro-soul vibe to Dan's solo work.

Tenacious D 05-26-10 07:10 AM

Sessa, I agree 100%. I hope their next album is a return to "their stripped down, crunchy and raw two-man neo-blues riffs", as you put it.

auto 05-26-10 07:38 AM

The only issue I have with this album is it is 2-3 songs too long. Other than that, I'm really enjoying it.

Rival11 05-26-10 03:41 PM

Sessa - I don't fully diagree with you but to a point I do.

First: you really liked the first 7 songs - good start. Me, I like the first 8.

second: I would never force anyone to like anything (kinda goofy) but I will highlight a few tracks that MAYBE you would like more if you gave them a couple more go arounds:

10. sinster kid (surprised you don't like this one actually)
12. I'm not the one

As far as liking their stripped down style.....I do like it but for me, there really isn't too much further progression left with that style - I do agree, that a tad more agression on this album would have made it somewhat better.

Auto - I agree, it's a couple of songs too long.

I think this is prob my fav black keys album. It's actually making me want to give Attack and Release another shot.

Sessa17 05-26-10 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 10180248)
Sessa - I don't fully diagree with you but to a point I do.

First: you really liked the first 7 songs - good start. Me, I like the first 8.

8th track is my least favorite on the entire album

second: I would never force anyone to like anything (kinda goofy) but I will highlight a few tracks that MAYBE you would like more if you gave them a couple more go arounds:

10. sinster kid (surprised you don't like this one actually)
12. I'm not the one
Yeah, your totally right, I do like Sinister Kid, that is the one track after the first 7 that I like. But lumped in with the other 8 straight slow songs, it still adds to the drag of the album.

As far as liking their stripped down style.....I do like it but for me, there really isn't too much further progression left with that style
I compltely agree because all of those albums literally were only 2 instruments & nearlly no mixing at all, its only natural to broaden their sound. I just personally find most of their slower tracks to be very paint-by-the-numbers & when you have 8 in a row, it just drags IMO. They are just a duo that for me, work much better up-tempo. I will say that the album a lot more than Dan's solo work but less than their previous album.

Tenacious D 05-27-10 07:08 AM

I actually kinda dug Dan's solo album because I wasn't expecting it to sound exactly like The Black Keys. I'd rather some of these songs on Brothers found their way to a second solo album, but what do I know? :)

islandclaws 10-15-10 10:53 AM

Ok, so I was watching the second episode of Eastbound & Down S2 last week and I loved the song used over the end credits. I figured it was something old school, since Jody Hill seems to favor classic tunes, but I was surprised when I Shazam'ed it and found it was "I'm Not the One" from this album. I dl'd the album and it's mostly good, not exactly my cup of tea. Kind of sounds a bit too hipster for my liking, but I love that one track.

Robot Rock 10-15-10 06:11 PM

Hipster? Probably the most authentic thing to blues whitey has seen in a while.