Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MUSE Last Night in Fairfax, VA - Words Cannot Describe the Awesomeness!! (With Pics)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MUSE Last Night in Fairfax, VA - Words Cannot Describe the Awesomeness!! (With Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing MUSE live for the third time in Fairfax, VA (Patriot Center). This was the smallest venue of the tour, and probably the last time I'll ever get to see MUSE in such an intimate environment before they move forward with their world domination. As I will get to, the show was beyond words awesome and you should sell whatever necessary to get tickets to this tour.

Show opener was the Silversun Pickups. They have decent buzz and many have compared them to an old favorite, My Bloody Valentine. Well, they certainly do sound like MBV, just without any of their own originality. In addition, they attempted to recreate their studio sound of mass reverb and fuzz in a live setting and it just sounded like mush. They were great musicians though, their drummer is unreal good, but these guys need to hone their live sound.

MUSE came on next to a buzzing crowd. First of all, if you haven't been to a MUSE show, it is a complete audio visual experience. Numerous light shows, video presentations, earthal sounds, etc. The show started with the band in three towers with a brief video presentation before playing three songs SUSPENDED IN AIR on the towers. A truly impressive display for a small area like Patriot. The massive sound this trio gets (okay they do have a keyboardist) is HUGE. They sound like thunder. The band was tight all night, and sounded great. These guys, for the effects hounds they are, have a very focused tone that compliments each other well. On top of that, they are technically brilliant. Playing was just jaw dropping.

The setlist was well mixed with a heavy dose of the new album (which comes off very well live, I have a newfound appreciation for some of the songs after hearing them in a live setting), big hits and even some surprises like New Born, PIB and Map. Most songs featured some extended intro and outros and really displayed how talented this band is and how tight they are together.

In closing, GO SEE THIS BAND. And try to get relatively close, it's a full senses experience and you don't want to miss anything.

MUSE ROCKS!!!

Pictures from the show:

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...%201st%202010/

The setlist for MUSE's show:

1. Uprising
2. Resistance
3. New Born
4. Map of the Problematique (yes!!!)
5. Supermassiveblackhole
6. Guiding Light
7. Hysteria
8. United States
9. Feeling Good
10. Undisclosed Desires
11. Starlight
12. Plug in Baby
13. Time is Running Out
14. Unnatural Selection
15. Stockholm Syndrome
16. Knights of Cydonia
Old 03-02-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: MUSE Last Night in Fairfax, VA - Words Cannot Describe the Awesomeness!! (With Pi

Yes, this show was jaw dropping.
Old 03-02-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MUSE Last Night in Fairfax, VA - Words Cannot Describe the Awesomeness!! (With Pi

It was a great show. I'm really glad that they didn't stay on those pillars the whole time, would've been rather dull. Probably the best visual experience I've ever seen at a concert (and the audio was amazing of course.)

I'm actually gonna disagree with you and say that Silversun Pickups was phenomenal! Such a great band and I'm glad to see that they're starting to get some recognition...
Old 03-02-10, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw them in Atlanta on Saturday night at the Gwinnett Arena. It was the first show of the tour and my first Muse show. I've casually listened to them for a few years but seeing them live gave me a completely new take on the band. It's one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Here's the setlist from the Atlanta show straight from their website.

Set list:

Uprising
(007 Manson)
Resistance
New Born + Headup riff
Map of the Problematique + Who Knows Who riff
Supermassive Black Hole
MK ULTRA
Interlude + Hysteria
Nishe
United States of Eurasia
Feeling Good
Guiding Light
Helsinki Jam
Undisclosed Desires
Starlight
Plug In Baby
(Mirror Manson)
Time Is Running Out + Burning Bridges riff
Unnatural Selection

Encore:
Exogenesis: Symphony Part I (Overture)
Stockholm Syndrome
(Red Glitter Manson)
Man with a Harmonica intro + Knights of Cydonia

Last edited by Byron_T; 03-02-10 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X

I'm actually gonna disagree with you and say that Silversun Pickups was phenomenal! Such a great band and I'm glad to see that they're starting to get some recognition...
I actually wanted to like them more. I usually don't show for the opener since I have to leave work early but I made sure to catch them. With the MBV connection, I was hoping they would be a new band. I was just unimpressed. Maybe I'll check out a CD of theirs and give them another shot.
Old 03-02-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I actually wanted to like them more. I usually don't show for the opener since I have to leave work early but I made sure to catch them. With the MBV connection, I was hoping they would be a new band. I was just unimpressed. Maybe I'll check out a CD of theirs and give them another shot.
If you don't know their music very well, that'll make a huge difference. They take some time to grow on you.
Old 03-02-10, 06:05 PM

Hmmm, no Exogenesis: Symphony parts? :-/ I'm planning to watch their set at Coachella (barring any bad conflicting sets), but was really hoping to see one or all of the last three tracks from The Resistance..
Old 03-02-10, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pretty lukewarm on The Resistance so I skipped seeing them this time around (saw them on the last tour), looks like I made a bad decision, oh well.

Glad to hear they still put on a killer show though.
Old 03-02-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got back from the Philly show. Unbelievable show. Set looks to be the same, this is understandable because of all the light show/timing involved. Possibly the best concert experience I ever had. They play Exogenesis symphony part one as the start of the encore.

I will agree about the SS Pickups sounding like mush. I think they are good, but their show isn't made for bus arenas yet. I would love to see them in a smaller venue though.
Old 03-02-10, 11:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I totally forgot about the show.
Old 03-03-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I am so bumming that I am not seeing this tour...
Old 03-04-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw them in Atlanta and was blown away. I've seen hundreds of bands and this was in the top two or three for me. Lighting, sound, the whole thing was amazing. SSPu were ok. They had great energy and a great setlist, but they did sound far more muddy than the 2 times I've seen them at Lollapalooza.
Old 03-09-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow - saw MUSE last night in Toronto. I've been meaning to see them for years but it hasn't worked out until now. They kicked ass. A very cool stage setup, great presence and they sounded incredible. I had a blast and will definitely catch them next time they come around. I knew they'd be great, but they exceeded my expectations!