Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Harry Connick, Jr. fans?

Old 03-01-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Harry Connick, Jr. fans?

Saw Harry in concert here in Indy last night. Hadn't seen him since 1992, though I have purchased a live DVD here and there since then.

This guy is one hell of a stage performer. He is so down to earth, funny, multi-talented, and completely at ease talking with the crowd about anything and everything, and everybody was laughing between songs all night. The music was great as it's ever been, although I did miss several of his classics I would have liked to hear. On the flip side, he did pull out "Didn't He Ramble" from his album "25", which was an album of songs featuring just him on the piano and vocals. This time it was done with the whole band, and sounded great.

I sort of guessed there wouldn't be too many classics, though, as he's promoting a new album this time. But, he did say that they were trying to pack in as much music as possible, since from Indy they're taking a week break before heading to Australia.

The highlight of the evening had to be the end, which is a weird thing to say, but allow me to preface:

Harry is from New Orleans, playing last night in Indy. I told my buddy he HAD to mention something about being sorry for the Super Bowl. And he did. After the first two songs of the show, he started talking to the crowd and said, "I just want to get this out of the way...I'm sorry." Everybody loved it. He continued on for a bit, then more music. Over the course of the show, he made little digs here and there about the Saints victory, but it was all in good humor. Well, sports fans, Indy got him back.

Harry made a note at some point while introducing his band that the backstage crew was all from Indy. Well, during the final encore, all of a sudden, the Colts' mascot "Blue" comes out in full costume and starts dancing around the stage, a giant Colts banner drops down behind the band, and cannons shot blue and white confetti all over the stage. Harry LOVED it! He dropped to the stage and was rolling and laughing.

So, aside from the Colts-themed antics, it was definitely a great show, and I would recommend going to see Harry perform to anyone who has any taste at all for his type of music. It was a wonderful evening, and I'm gonna be geeking on it for a while.

Any other Harry fans out there?
Old 03-01-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Harry Connick, Jr. fans?

I've seen him a couple of times in the past and both were great shows. Definitely a great performer and showman.
Old 03-02-10, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh those where the days....A little bit of me ..and a whole lotta you...or I know a girl..who says she loves me...

I can hear all the greats now. Good stuff.
Old 03-04-11, 11:07 PM

I've seen him three times, and never sat further away than the 3rd row from the stage. Last time we sat front-row center.

If you're a fan join his fan club, if nothing else for the opportunity to buy pre-sale concert tickets.

He just had a concert released on Blu this week (oh, and on something called 'DVD' - can't wait to get it!