Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

When will "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers be remastered?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-22-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is one of my top 10 all-time favorite album, and it has not received the special attention that Ten by Pearl Jam received, released that same year in 1991.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik needs a desperate remastering. Hopefully an announcement will be made soon. If any "head's up" occur, please post. Thanks.
Old 02-22-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: When will "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers be remastered?

the 4 songs from that album on the Greatest hits album, sounds great.Great deep bass on "Suck My Kiss" for instance
Old 02-22-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: When will "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers be remastered?

Does it? Does the current 1991 CD sound that bad?
Old 02-22-10, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
Does it? Does the current 1991 CD sound that bad?
No. The CD sounds fantastic as is. This guy is just confused because it sounds so much quieter than his super-duper new Pearl Jam remaster that's been nuked to the reds.

Put BSSM on a decent stereo and crank it up and it rocks.
Old 02-22-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BSSM helped me set a speaker on fire when I was in HS, seemed pretty loud then
Old 02-23-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post
No. The CD sounds fantastic as is. This guy is just confused because it sounds so much quieter than his super-duper new Pearl Jam remaster that's been nuked to the reds.

Put BSSM on a decent stereo and crank it up and it rocks.
If you play a song from the album, then play a song from their Greatest Hits, it's like Night and Day. I want their album to sound as "full-figured" as their Greatest Hits.
Old 02-23-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For that matter, remaster Nevermind by Nirvana, because after listening to Smells Like Teen Spirit back-to-back from the album to their greatest hits - again, like Night and Day.
Old 02-23-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as I'm concerned, remastering should be reserved for albums that were originally recorded analog. When it's done for digital recordings, it's just an excuse TO MAKE IT ALL LOUD. It's messing with the artist's original intention as surely as colorization and modified aspect ratios.
Old 02-23-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It doesn't need a remastering, especially if it's done the same way they've mastered their last few CDs.
Old 02-23-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drop View Post
It doesn't need a remastering, especially if it's done the same way they've mastered their last few CDs.
Exactly. Judging by the completely brick-walled, zero dynamic range engineering of RHCP's last few albums, I hope they don't touch BSSM...

"Californication", "By the Way" and "Stadium Arcadium" are up there with Oasis' "What's the Story Morning Glory", "Death Magnetic", anything Rush has released this decade and Bruce Springsteen's "Magic" in being a hyper-compressed, iPod-friendly muddy mess of indistinguishable noise masquerading as a professionally produced album.
Old 02-23-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
As far as I'm concerned, remastering should be reserved for albums that were originally recorded analog. When it's done for digital recordings, it's just an excuse TO MAKE IT ALL LOUD. It's messing with the artist's original intention as surely as colorization and modified aspect ratios.
Resmatering is BS
Old 02-23-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

all remastering now a days is pretty much raising the volume to the max leaving no dynamic range. Listen to it on headphones, it's a headache inducing experience.

I listened to Japan's live album oil on canvas recently and compared the "remastered" cd with my vinyl copy. The cd is distorted/less clear/muffled and that's supposed to be an improvement?!
Old 02-23-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

@#$#@#, THE ALBUM SOUNDS DULL COMPARED TO OTHER ALBUMS WITH "THE TREATMENT." That is to say, even 70's and 80's music sounds more there than these last of the mohicians albums that haven't been thru the treatment.
Old 02-23-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

like, if you buy those compilations of the the 70's and 80's, they've all got some kind of "volume raise," or ENHANCING, which sounds better to me. If I mix that on my iPod with BSSM, it's like dipping into a valley after being up on a mountain.

I'm inclined to skip the given song to something that sounds "better."
Old 02-23-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Try normalizing the levels of all of your mp3s.:

http://www.cnet.com/1990-7899_1-6350954-1.html

That way you don't have to wait around for already well-mastered albums to be made unnecessarily louder.
Old 02-23-10, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
like, if you buy those compilations of the the 70's and 80's, they've all got some kind of "volume raise," or ENHANCING, which sounds better to me. If I mix that on my iPod with BSSM, it's like dipping into a valley after being up on a mountain.

I'm inclined to skip the given song to something that sounds "better."
It doesn't sound "better", assmonkey. It's just louder, as many people here have already stated. And, it has nothing to do with the original recording being digital or analog as someone mentioned. You can have a great recording with either method.

The problem is this: 99% of "remastering" these days is to take the waveform from the analog signal and smash it so there are no peaks and valleys, then boost the average volume as high as it will go without, or even in many cases with, clipping. Clipping is a static sound resulting from volume peaks that are too loud for the CD format. This shit sounds awful, and if you like it then your opinion is fucking wrong. Listen to some well-recorded and mastered music on a decent system.

I'm not being an audiophile douche when I say these things either. To me a decent system doesn't cost thousands of dollars. Just a nice pair of bookshelf speakers and a stand-alone receiver and CD player can put out great sound. It's just when you shit on one of the best examples of well-recorded and mastered rock music because it hasn't been given "the treatment", it pisses me off. There are too many awesome albums out there that have been ruined because of this.

Do you think Californication sounds good?
Old 02-24-10, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post
It doesn't sound "better", assmonkey. It's just louder, as many people here have already stated. And, it has nothing to do with the original recording being digital or analog as someone mentioned. You can have a great recording with either method.

The problem is this: 99% of "remastering" these days is to take the waveform from the analog signal and smash it so there are no peaks and valleys, then boost the average volume as high as it will go without, or even in many cases with, clipping. Clipping is a static sound resulting from volume peaks that are too loud for the CD format. This shit sounds awful, and if you like it then your opinion is fucking wrong. Listen to some well-recorded and mastered music on a decent system.

I'm not being an audiophile douche when I say these things either. To me a decent system doesn't cost thousands of dollars. Just a nice pair of bookshelf speakers and a stand-alone receiver and CD player can put out great sound. It's just when you shit on one of the best examples of well-recorded and mastered rock music because it hasn't been given "the treatment", it pisses me off. There are too many awesome albums out there that have been ruined because of this.

Do you think Californication sounds good?
Lurker Angry. Lurker Mad.
Old 02-24-10, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-24-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

but he is right. BTW being a douche bag can be good depending on who's using it, kinda like anal beads.
Old 02-24-10, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
@#$#@#, THE ALBUM SOUNDS DULL COMPARED TO OTHER ALBUMS WITH "THE TREATMENT." That is to say, even 70's and 80's music sounds more there than these last of the mohicians albums that haven't been thru the treatment.
It's because you don't have an ear. It's like basicly the musical equivilent to color blindness. You also seem to be completely lost as to what they do to these albums (what the heck is 'THE TREATMENT'?!?). Trust me, they're ruining them, and unfortunately, uninformed, ear-less people like yourself are encouraging this mass murder of music by buying them.
Old 02-24-10, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Lurker Angry. Lurker Mad.
Heh, yeah I lost it for a second. My bad though I still stand by the main points
Old 02-25-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ButtMunker, since you have songs on both the original CD and the Greatest Hits collection, please try this:

Rip one song (the same one) from both CDs. Then load each one into Audacity. Audacity will show each song's waveforms, and you'll be able to tell by inspection a) whether the Greatest Hits edition has been reduced in dynamic range, and b) how hollow the original really is by comparison. Please post the screenshots as well, so we can draw our own conclusions.
Old 02-25-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you can't even make this shit up. check out Suck My Kiss:

BSSM Version:

GH Version:

NOT GOOD.
Old 02-25-10, 04:09 PM

That greatest hits remaster has to sound awful.
Old 02-25-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cut him some slack - he did say it needs a "desperate remastering"...and that looks pretty desperate.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.