Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

just found them

and the have For Whom the Bell Tolls SFSO version and From Paris to Berlin
Old 07-15-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Rhapsody. Is this better?
Old 07-15-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
3 albums and 1 EP on Spotify UK.
You can get the Sunset Rubdown albums on Spotify US, though.

I noticed that Sub Pop albums are in the UK but not US. I think this is just because they haven't worked out the deal with them in the US yet; only the majors.

I might give away some more invites later tonight. PM me your email addresses if you haven't already and I'll see what I can do.
Yeah, I checked Sunset before Wolf Parade actually I'm a Krug fanboy.

So no deal with Sub Pop, but Jagjaguwar has a deal already? Interesting.
Old 07-15-11, 12:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Looks like I mis-spoke. They have SOME Sub Pop. In Spotify, do a search for this, without the quotes "label:sub-pop"
If you keep scrolling down, the list should get longer and longer until they just can't list anymore.
Old 07-15-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man, not a single YMO (Yellow Magic Orchestra) track on Spotify? This will not stand! (Grooveshark has several pages worth.)

I agree that it's awful that there is no artist or genre "radio" option. That's how I use Pandora and Slacker, and would love to see it here.

For now, though, it looks like Spotify will be towards the bottom of the list of my music apps. Too bad. I really had high hopes.
Old 07-15-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Man, not a single YMO (Yellow Magic Orchestra) track on Spotify? This will not stand! (Grooveshark has several pages worth.)

I agree that it's awful that there is no artist or genre "radio" option. That's how I use Pandora and Slacker, and would love to see it here.

For now, though, it looks like Spotify will be towards the bottom of the list of my music apps. Too bad. I really had high hopes.
What are on the top of your list of music apps?
Old 07-15-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i don't get why pandora is so popular. they play the same songs over and over again and no way to choose a song you want to hear at the moment. pandora is just slightly better than regular radio
Old 07-15-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

and Slacker is worse than Pandora when it comes to repeats.

So far I'm pretty impressed by Spotify, there are a few holes in its collections but it can expand, and it's completely legal which helps immensely.
Old 07-15-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I paid for the premium membership so I could have access on my iPhone.

About 70-80% of what I've searched for I can find, let it be because Spotify doesn't have it or Spotify has it but not for use in the United States (ugh).

However, I'll keep the subscription if they can launch the Radio options here in the states. I love the fact I can search for anything, but I also want to find new music too.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 07-15-11 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-15-11, 02:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I guess now's a good time to mention that there's a ton of third-party apps/sites/etc. that use Spotify's API.

truShuffle: creates a playlist for you that adds random tracks in real-time based on what you listen to, using Spotify's last.fm scrobbling. If there's only one resource you use, this should be it.

ShareMyPlaylists: good resource for playlists, although they're having a few growing pains due to the licensing differences between the US and Europe. The also have iOS and Android apps.

Heavy Metal Encyclopedia: no additional info required.

and many more. Here's a list: http://pansentient.com/spotify-resources/

and this: http://pansentient.com/new-on-spotify/
keeps you updated on everything added to Spotify, so you can really see how the database grows over time. The "Total Tracks on Spotify" is representative of the entire database, I believe. Not a specific country.

Last edited by Dan; 07-15-11 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-15-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
and Slacker is worse than Pandora when it comes to repeats.

So far I'm pretty impressed by Spotify, there are a few holes in its collections but it can expand, and it's completely legal which helps immensely.
at least with slacker premium you can customize stations to the point where they are playlists. last i heard pandora gave you no control

this is like ford vs GM again. pioneer doesn't keep up with new competitors and loses market share
Old 07-15-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to get a free trial to the premium for us accounts? Their us FAQ says there is a 30 day free trial if you use your phone and log into it from your phone in the first 7 days but the trial page says it's not available in the US which confuses me.
Old 07-15-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
at least with slacker premium you can customize stations to the point where they are playlists. last i heard pandora gave you no control

this is like ford vs GM again. pioneer doesn't keep up with new competitors and loses market share
Slacker Premium is very much like Spotify but it's extremely buggy, at least on my phone.
Old 07-15-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Slacker Premium is very much like Spotify but it's extremely buggy, at least on my phone.
Except you can't really choose what song you want to listen to when you want to listen to. I do love the offline caching of slacker premium but the program likes to wait until I get to a song I like and then just skip to the next track on it's own. Pisses me off to no end.
Old 07-15-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Except you can't really choose what song you want to listen to when you want to listen to. I do love the offline caching of slacker premium but the program likes to wait until I get to a song I like and then just skip to the next track on it's own. Pisses me off to no end.
Slacker Premium (the $10 one) allows you to play any song at any time, but similarly you get to listen to it for 30 seconds and then it magically skips to the next track. At which point you load up your Playlist again and hit Play on that song again.

And again. By the 3rd time you'll make it through the entire song, having heard the first third 3 times and middle third twice.

https://store.slacker.com/store/Subscriptions.do
Old 07-15-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Slacker Premium (the $10 one) allows you to play any song at any time, but similarly you get to listen to it for 30 seconds and then it magically skips to the next track. At which point you load up your Playlist again and hit Play on that song again.

And again. By the 3rd time you'll make it through the entire song, having heard the first third 3 times and middle third twice.

https://store.slacker.com/store/Subscriptions.do
Really? I didn't know slacker added another tier. Last I checked it was like 3 a month for just "stations" and offline caching, not picking what you want.
Old 07-15-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar
What are on the top of your list of music apps?
I mainly use TuneIn Radio or connect to my own collection via Subsonic (I use the iSub app).

With TuneIn, I have a couple dozen real and Internet "radio" stations in my favorites, and can see at a glance what is playing on each one, then just click over to that one if I'm not into the current song on the current station. I also enjoy the community aspect of knowing that other people are listening to the same song that I am, when I am. It's weird, just a psychological thing.

With iSub, I just stream whatever I want from my home collection (which is about 350GB at this point).

I also use Slacker, occasionally Pandora, and a couple podcast apps.
Old 07-15-11, 04:12 PM

The spotify UI is fucking horrible.
Old 07-15-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by palebluedot
The spotify UI is fucking horrible.
Dis-a-fucking-gree. The Mac and iOS based apps are elegant and simple.

However, the Android app looks like shit... just like the Android OS.
Old 07-15-11, 04:31 PM

No iPad app and 2x looks like shit. The desktop version is too much like iTunes, which I also hate. Was really hoping for something better here.
Old 07-15-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My iPhone Spotify app just gives me a huge list of tracks that are in my local files (which it apparently pulled from my iTunes). No album folders, no artist folders, just a list of 175 songs. Weak.
Old 07-15-11, 04:37 PM

That's the other thing. As soon as i installed it imported everything from iTunes, and my local disk which also populates my iTunes so I had double of everything. The fucker didn't even ask me if I wanted to, I had to go and delete everything.

Service itself though I am liking...just need some work on the UI.
Old 07-15-11, 04:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
My iPhone Spotify app just gives me a huge list of tracks that are in my local files (which it apparently pulled from my iTunes). No album folders, no artist folders, just a list of 175 songs. Weak.
That's a big drawback of the mobile app. I'm sure it'll be fixed. When you add playlists (for example, I have one for each month of the year, and i just dump everything I listen to into those), then the mobile apps should display those playlists instead of all your local files.

Originally Posted by palebluedot
That's the other thing. As soon as i installed it imported everything from iTunes, and my local disk which also populates my iTunes so I had double of everything. The fucker didn't even ask me if I wanted to, I had to go and delete everything.
It created doubles of everything?? It's definitely not supposed to do that. On my computer, it just populated my Local Files list with everything on the PC, just like the Zune software does.
Old 07-15-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
If you're using Spotify, add this playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/dan-kli...qk1LQEJ7sYxJM3
It's a collaborative one, so anyone can add/remove songs. Just figured it was worth throwing out there to see what music you guys want to share.
Awesome, thanks. This could be cool.
Old 07-15-11, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by reubs82
Awesome, thanks. This could be cool.
Agree, consider me subscribed.

Also, I've got a couple of invites if people need one. Shoot me a PM with your email.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.