Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Follow me here:
http://open.spotify.com/user/dcaster
Old 07-27-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waiting for an invite.
Old 07-27-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

Did the Coke link posted earlier in the thread die? I just used it for someone else a few days ago, and it still worked then.
Old 07-27-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If any of you guys have an extra invite I'd love one to try this out.

EDIT:

Got one! I also sent messages to the last few here asking for one.

Last edited by Brent L; 07-27-11 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-27-11, 09:17 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Brent L
If any of you guys have an extra invite I'd love one to try this out.
Ditto..
Old 07-27-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Also, if anyone is dying to get the Artist Radio feature, you can either keep waiting until Spotify auto-updates to 0.5.2.84, or download that version directly from Spotify and re-install. The only reason you don't have it yet is because Spotify likes to roll out their software updates slowly in case there are bugs that appear with each release.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Digging the radio. Is there a skip limit like Pandora? Can't imagine there would be considering the nature of the app.
Old 07-28-11, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to Brent for a code.

Out the gate, I like it but if there's a 10 hour limit on the free version then it's severely limited. $5 for unlimited with no ads is not too bad though.

Last edited by big whoppa; 07-28-11 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Yes I am. Me and the wifey flying up from Arizona.

Should be awesome! I have reserved seats on Saturday and lawn on Sunday.
The opposite - lawn Sat/seats Sun.

And...oh my - I see your playlist has grown!
Old 07-28-11, 07:54 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the code Brent.

Now I can check it out tonight on my PC.
Old 07-28-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Wait, there's a way to follow and provide suggestions without linking to Facebook?

Also, a few things I'm curious (for the free version):

- Can you add columns? I'd like to see play count, and track order
- Can you sequence and lock play lists? I accidentally clicked on Name, and the order went out the window!
Old 07-28-11, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by emanon
The opposite - lawn Sat/seats Sun.

And...oh my - I see your playlist has grown!
Lucky. Hopefully both nights are equally awesome. Might still look for seating on Sunday. We'll see how that goes.

Yep, added full albums to the playlist.
Old 07-28-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I got an invite, and have been playing around a bit. I'm surprised there isn't a genre for metal. While I like searching for individual bands, and artists, to check out, I'd kind of like a Pandora-style setup. If that's what the Artist radio is for, I'll look for the update this weekend. I look forward to different forums setting up their own playlist groups.
Old 07-28-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I noticed a couple of things today...

- none of the White Stripes songs that came up in my random playlist worked.
- i could have sworn I had more Raconteurs queued...but the album(s) are not to be found. (maybe only one was there - but I think at least one was) only singles are now available

Did Jack White get pissy with them or something?
Old 07-28-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could use an invite if anyone has one lying around.
Old 07-30-11, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Is there any way to get a free trial to the premium for us accounts? Their us FAQ says there is a 30 day free trial if you use your phone and log into it from your phone in the first 7 days but the trial page says it's not available in the US which confuses me.
there was a way, Chevy made a mistake in their invites, and those who got an invite before a certain date got 6 months free premium, but that's over now.
Old 07-30-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can use your account on an unlimited number of devices, but you can only cache on three.
can it be used simultaneously on multiple devices? like if i had it open on my pc, then i wanted to use it on my android at the same time?

Originally Posted by Scorpio
I could use an invite if anyone has one lying around.
check your pm

btw, i have more invites, pm me if you want one.

Last edited by D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB); 07-30-11 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-01-11, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would love an invite. Anyone?
Old 08-01-11, 06:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
can it be used simultaneously on multiple devices? like if i had it open on my pc, then i wanted to use it on my android at the same time?
Yes and no, but mostly no. It'll stop playing on the first device (in your example, your PC) as soon as you start playing music on your second device (Android phone or other PC).
The only way to get around that is to cache the songs you want to listen to on either device and keep one of them in offline mode.
So, to put it in other words, Spotify won't let you stream music to two devices at the exact same time, and will only let you play cached music on two devices at once if one of them is "offline" so the Spotify server can't detect it.
This is solely because of licensing. They've been asked since the beginning about "family" accounts with a minor discount (ie: I'd easily pay $17/month for my wife and I to stream at the same time), but they said that all of their licensing agreements would have to be re-negotiated for that feature. Maybe they're working on it. Who knows...
Old 08-01-11, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes and no, but mostly no. It'll stop playing on the first device (in your example, your PC) as soon as you start playing music on your second device (Android phone or other PC).
The only way to get around that is to cache the songs you want to listen to on either device and keep one of them in offline mode.
So, to put it in other words, Spotify won't let you stream music to two devices at the exact same time, and will only let you play cached music on two devices at once if one of them is "offline" so the Spotify server can't detect it.
This is solely because of licensing. They've been asked since the beginning about "family" accounts with a minor discount (ie: I'd easily pay $17/month for my wife and I to stream at the same time), but they said that all of their licensing agreements would have to be re-negotiated for that feature. Maybe they're working on it. Who knows...
So, if I understood you correctly, I can cache for offline use on my Android, Palm, and iPhone, and then use it to stream on my pc, that'd mean that i could use it on 3 cached devices max simultaneously while i stream on my pc?

Originally Posted by hippie68
I would love an invite. Anyone?
PM sent. btw, i still have more invites, pm me in case anyone needs.
Old 08-02-11, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if I'm alone in having downloaded Spotify, but not really even bothering to play with it? With my iPod and satellite radio I haven't quite figured out why I need it.
Old 08-02-11, 06:52 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
So, if I understood you correctly, I can cache for offline use on my Android, Palm, and iPhone, and then use it to stream on my pc, that'd mean that i could use it on 3 cached devices max simultaneously while i stream on my pc?
Correct. The only catch is that you might have to set your Android, Palm, and iPhone Spotify apps to "offline" mode in order to ensure your PC streaming doesn't get interrupted when you start playing music (cached or not) on any of those other devices. I haven't had a chance to test that.
Old 08-02-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I wonder if I'm alone in having downloaded Spotify, but not really even bothering to play with it? With my iPod and satellite radio I haven't quite figured out why I need it.
I am using it for listening to albums and songs that I have always wanted to hear but never could listen to them. I wasn't one to download stuff illegally so I missed out on lots of music since I wasn't going to throw 10 bucks or more out on a cd just because a few people suggested it.

Spotify lets me try almost anything I have ever wanted to hear. To me it is an album-lover's dream. I have used it everyday since I joined up.

I also have a couple of buddies who are on it that are very music-knowledgeable, know the kind of stuff I like, and they suggest albums to me constantly or put in in a shared playlist.

I'm in fucking heaven right now. Best time for music I have personally had since I worked at a music store back in college.
Old 08-02-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I am using it for listening to albums and songs that I have always wanted to hear but never could listen to them. I wasn't one to download stuff illegally so I missed out on lots of music since I wasn't going to throw 10 bucks or more out on a cd just because a few people suggested it.

Spotify lets me try almost anything I have ever wanted to hear. To me it is an album-lover's dream. I have used it everyday since I joined up.

I also have a couple of buddies who are on it that are very music-knowledgeable, know the kind of stuff I like, and they suggest albums to me constantly or put in in a shared playlist.

I'm in fucking heaven right now. Best time for music I have personally had since I worked at a music store back in college.
Old 08-02-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
do you own every CD ever made?
Old 08-02-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

No kidding. I was skeptical of Spotify at first, but I absolutely love it. I found the New Releases playlist that gets refreshed every Tuesday. I subscribed to it, and pull out the ones I want to keep around into a separate playlist. I had no idea Fountains of Wayne had a new release this week until I checked the list. Now I'm listening to it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.