Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 06:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Spotify: Everyone Loves Music (or "Streaming is the Future")

Yeah, shuffle is notoriously terrible. I stopped using that feature on giant playlists.
Old 11-16-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Aha, I thought maybe it was all in my mind.
Old 12-04-14, 01:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

If you don't already subscribe to Spotify Premium, you can now get three months for $0.99.
https://www.spotify.com/us/holiday/

Does not work for existing Premium members, unfortunately.
Old 01-06-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

We're not posting our year end stats this year?

Nothing terribly surprising in mine. I jumped on the 3 months of premium for $1 deal - and immediately set a reminder in Google Calendar to reevaluate the service in 2 months and 30 days - and found that I've been using Spotify a whole lot more than I used to. It may just be the novelty of being able to play whatever track I want to on my phone, as opposed to only being able to shuffle playlists, though.
Old 01-06-15, 04:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also did the 3 month deal, great way to get people hooked.
Old 01-06-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

It was six free months, then 7.99/mo for Sprint customers. First time in eons that I've been happy to use Sprint. Just signed up last month.
Old 01-21-15, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I also did the 3 month deal, great way to get people hooked.
Ditto. I've found that most of the time it's actually cheaper to buy a physical CD and rip the mp3s.
Old 01-21-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not going to lie, as much as I love Spotify, their Shuffle and Radio features are balls.
Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, shuffle is notoriously terrible. I stopped using that feature on giant playlists.
Shuffle is so bad in its repetition of songs that I have unchecked it and am listening to my list alphabetically. Pathetic. Plus, the voice of the douche who does the ads becomes incredibly annoying. I may go back to Youtube for online music listening.
Old 01-21-15, 03:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'm using shuffle on a playlist of about 430 songs. It's... better... than it was, but not by much. I don't get any repetition (I think), but it sometimes just plays 4 or 5 songs in a row (no random) or stops playing entirely and I have to restart it. That's on the newly updated WP8 app. Not sure about PC/Mac/iOS/Android/whatever.

As for the ads, well... I pay the monthly fee (it's totally worth it, IMO, but I've been paying for so long that I don't really think about it anymore).
Old 01-21-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm not paying for it. Not a chance in hell. Too many monthly fees in life as it is. I'd sooner cease listening.
Old 01-21-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

The monthly fee I pay to Spotify is probably the best 10 bucks I spend.
Old 01-21-15, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree completely
Old 01-22-15, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think their shuffle algorithm gives greater weight to bands they want to "promote." I am a free user and I listen exclusively on shuffle with a playlist of about 5,000 tunes. I did the end-of-year stat thing that DJLinus references above and 2 of my "top 5" songs for 2014 are by Arcade Fire, whom I like ok, I guess, but no way are they in my personal top 20 or even top 40. I have a total of 12 of their songs in my 5,000+ playlist so it was surprising that they placed #1 and #4 in my top 5 songs for 2014 (on shuffle play).
Old 01-22-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I also agree that I get the most use out of my Spotify subscription vs. everything else.
Old 01-22-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

If Spotify upped their monthly to $30, I'd pay it, given how much I get out of it. Cough up a measly 10 bucks a month, ya cheap bastards!
Old 01-22-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If Spotify upped their monthly to $30, I'd pay it, given how much I get out of it. Cough up a measly 10 bucks a month, ya cheap bastards!
No kidding. I'm about to add accounts for my kids, so we aren't all trying to share the same account. I did free accounts for them at first, but for the money it's so worth it to make them premium accounts instead, especially since their accounts will be half price.
Old 01-22-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
I think their shuffle algorithm gives greater weight to bands they want to "promote." I am a free user and I listen exclusively on shuffle with a playlist of about 5,000 tunes. I did the end-of-year stat thing that DJLinus references above and 2 of my "top 5" songs for 2014 are by Arcade Fire, whom I like ok, I guess, but no way are they in my personal top 20 or even top 40. I have a total of 12 of their songs in my 5,000+ playlist so it was surprising that they placed #1 and #4 in my top 5 songs for 2014 (on shuffle play).
I strongly suspect you are right. I haven't checked my stats, but in a few months of listening with shuffle, I have heard a few songs played a dozen or more times, while hundreds of the 1,900 songs on my list haven't been played even once.
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm not cheap, but I am frugal, and I avoid monthly fees wherever possible. I don't own an Ipod or even a cell phone (don't need them), but, correct me if I'm wrong, you Ipod/Android owners could simply connect your devices to your speakers and use the Ipod's shuffle feature to listen for free to music you have uploaded. In light of that, the only advantage I see to Spotify is to be able to comprehensively explore songs/albums/musicians one is unfamiliar with; and that one can do with a free account.
Old 01-22-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The higher quality streams, downloadable playlists, and lack of ads make the ten bucks a no brainer for me. But I hear you.
Old 01-22-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I'm not cheap, but I am frugal, and I avoid monthly fees wherever possible. I don't own an Ipod or even a cell phone (don't need them), but, correct me if I'm wrong, you Ipod/Android owners could simply connect your devices to your speakers and use the Ipod's shuffle feature to listen for free to music you have uploaded. In light of that, the only advantage I see to Spotify is to be able to comprehensively explore songs/albums/musicians one is unfamiliar with; and that one can do with a free account.
That's a good point and I'm the same way, but if you have a free account you are only able to shuffle playlists when mobile. You can't choose to play specific songs or albums, which is mostly how I'm using Spotify. That and the only music I keep on my phone are what I put there for running/working out. My iPod Classic is chock full, but I mostly use that for podcasts these days.

While I'm really digging it, I'm between jobs right now and will cancel right before my $1 trial is up if my situation hasn't changed by then. Gotta cut out needless expenses. When I do get another gig, though, I'll likely shell out for the monthly fee.
Old 01-22-15, 03:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IIRC, the restriction for mobile devices doesn't apply to the iPad if you use Spotify without a membership on there.
Old 01-23-15, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supermallet
IIRC, the restriction for mobile devices doesn't apply to the iPad if you use Spotify without a membership on there.
That is true for any "tablet" versions of the app. I use a galaxy TabS 8.4 at work and it functions the same as the desktop app (can play full albums in non-random order).
Old 01-23-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In light of that, the only advantage I see to Spotify is to be able to comprehensively explore songs/albums/musicians one is unfamiliar with; and that one can do with a free account.
Right but if you like the album, you can listen to as many albums as you want, whenever you want and even download them without additional fees all for the price of one album a month.
Old 01-23-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^That's true, cungar. I suppose if one is really into music, like many people, it's worth it. I'm not. I do have 500+ CDs, but I now acquire only a select few new ones (a couple a year at most), in large part because my shelves are virtually full and I don't want to make space for new ones.
Old 01-23-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

^That's true, cungar. I suppose if one is really into music, like many people, it's worth it. I'm not. I do have 500+ CDs, but I now acquire only a select few new ones (a couple a year at most), in large part because my shelves are virtually full and I don't want to make space for new ones.
Um, if that's the reason, I have great news for you : Spotify requires absolutely NO ADDITIONAL SHELF SPACE!
Old 03-13-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As podcasts now dominate my audio entertainment, I was curious if Spotify was going to add the ability to play them, so I Googled it. Lo and behold:

Hidden In Spotify’s App Code Alongside Uber, Plans To Launch Podcasts And Something ‘Magic’
Posted Nov 17, 2014 by Ingrid Lunden (@ingridlunden)

Spotify’s upcoming integration with Uber — getting announced formally today — is not the only development the music streaming service has planned to grow its business. The company has plans for a podcasting service as well as an as-yet undetermined feature that is currently set up under the name “Magic.”

The features, uncovered in a developer build of the app, sit alongside code that also shows the Spotify end of the Uber integration. On Friday, we revealed the Uber side of the Spotify service — which will let users stream their Spotify music as they come into an Uber car.

The news comes at a key moment for Spotify. The company, last valued in November 2013 at around $4 billion, has long been believed to be planning an IPO. (On that front, we have heard that it’s recently been looking to hire talent to help it through that process.)

More immediately, it has been strategising about how best to position itself in the face of competition from companies like Apple, bad PR from huge pop stars, and wider skepticism about the business models around digital music. Adding more services, more service ubiquity, and more users would help Spotify on all of these fronts.

The new features were uncovered for us by Ethan Lee — the same developer who had found Spotify’s early work to import apps built on the Spotify API, aggregated in its desktop-based App Finder app store, to its mobile app. Those attempts, as we now know, were never rolled out because Spotify ultimately changed its mind about how best to grow its user base and engagement — in fact, the company has now decided to shut down the App Finder altogether.

He says that just as there was once code that pointed to plans for the App Finder in Spotify’s app, the new features are buried in the code for Spotify 2.0, which was simply described as offering “improvements and bug fixes” when it was released.

(That should serve as a disclaimer of sorts, too — Spotify clearly plays around with different things before releasing to the wider public.)

Lee says that the app has details of the Uber partnership within the code that shows “they are ready to launch” the integration. Alongside that, code for a whole new feature: podcasts. “A few files point that it is a feature ready to go,” he says. There’s also an image that supports it — pictured here. “My take is that they are releasing it as a response to users’ requests and to become a full-blown iTunes competitor on more than the music front,” Lee says.

It’s also notable for another reason: Deezer last month acquired a podcasting startup called Stitcher. It could have been that Deezer was doing this partly in response to intel it had picked up about its big competitor making a plan to launch a podcasting service.

More importantly for Spotify, Deezer gave me smart explanation of why podcasting was interesting: Deezer is making a big move to do more with in-car services, and podcasts and talk radio are especially popular in that setting. It could be that Spotify, which also has a number of connected car integrations in place, is thinking along the same lines. (Not to mention the Uber integration being very focused on how Spotify is used in cars.)

And what about “Magic”? This appears to have a far less developed home than Podcasts does for now (see services like App Finder in mobile that never launch).

magic wand“I’m not sure what this is referring to, or if this is an existing feature with the internal codename ‘Magic’,” Lee says. “I could find no places in the app right now that uses the magic wand graphic,” which is pictured here and was in Spotify’s app resources file, in addition to the code, as detailed below:

We’re reaching out to Spotify for comment and will update as we learn more.

Update with Spotify’s response: “We’ve had spoken word content in our catalogue for quite a while now, highlighted in the ‘Word’ section within Browse,” a spokesperson says. “In order to keep improving Spotify, we are always testing new things to our different platforms and to various user groups. We don’t have any more information to share right now – but as soon as we do, we’ll let you know!”
http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/17/hid...mething-magic/

Currently if I am away from my laptop or iPod and want to stream a podcast I use TuneIn. I'm generally satisfied with it, but my one complaint is that the app doesn't get the latest episodes as quickly as iTunes does.

I've heard great things about Uber, but so far haven't had a need to use it. The above article is several months old and integration with Uber is now live:

https://get.uber.com/spotify/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.