Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Old 02-11-10, 07:12 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Perkinsun Dzees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 3,206
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

I have to say, I've never been a fan of John Mayer. In fact, I can't stand his music. He's a decent guitar player, but something about his songs/lyrics just sounds so fake and contrived rather than soulful. Aside from his music, he comes across as a media whore who apparently finally put his foot so deep into his mouth that he almost choked on it. At least his apology sounds sincere. Maybe he's not such a bad guy after all.


<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N0_F72rbH_I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N0_F72rbH_I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 02-11-10, 10:12 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 13,164
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

I'm still waiting for him to apologize for his music.
Old 02-11-10, 11:16 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 65
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Who?
Old 02-11-10, 11:46 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Next stop, Earth.
Posts: 3,262
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Sounds like a complete dumbshit in that interview. Don't care enough to watch a video.
Old 02-12-10, 01:32 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,898
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I'm still waiting for him to apologize for his music.
Old 02-12-10, 06:39 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
maxfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,854
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

He's a douche. I don't think he's legitimately racist. He's just so full of himself that he thought he could say things that would sound racist coming from anyone else and hey, everyone would be cool with it because he's John Mayer and there's no way he's racist. He overlooked the fact that most people don't like blatant narcissists, which he continues to come off as in the apology in that video.
Old 02-12-10, 07:49 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
LiquidSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pokey Dot Lounge, Nashville, TN
Posts: 9,184
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
He's a douche. I don't think he's legitimately racist. He's just so full of himself that he thought he could say things that would sound racist coming from anyone else and hey, everyone would be cool with it because he's John Mayer and there's no way he's racist. He overlooked the fact that most people don't like blatant narcissists, which he continues to come off as in the apology in that video.

Agreed. He has a huge ego and is a douche.
Old 02-12-10, 08:35 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,138
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

This story has nothing to do with music. Hopefully Mayer will take it's lead.
Old 02-12-10, 09:20 AM
  #9  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,420
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Ignoring Mayer's overall douchery for a moment, what's up with this talk of him 'being black' or having a 'hood pass'? His acoustic, coffee-shop-style is about the whitest music I can imagine this side of country-western.

And on a side note, Holly Robinson Peete and Hilary from Fresh Prince? Has he been reading The 1993 Guide to Attractive Black Actresses? Why not namedrop Stacey Dash and Tisha Campbell while he's at it?
Old 02-12-10, 09:25 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Ignoring Mayer's overall douchery for a moment, what's up with this talk of him 'being black' or having a 'hood pass'?
He was on an episode of Chappelle's Show. Clearly this makes him blacker than Ashy Larry.
Old 02-12-10, 09:25 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,533
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Originally Posted by John Mayer
I cant really have a hood pass. Ive never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told were full.
I think you're going to get your wish, Johnny.
Old 02-12-10, 10:21 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,264
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

I'm surprised non of the women's groups are going after him for using the dreaded C word in that interview as well.
Old 02-12-10, 11:24 AM
  #13  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 22,804
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

I think it was the other C word.

NSFW:
cock
Old 02-12-10, 11:51 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,084
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Originally Posted by LiquidSky View Post
Agreed. He has a huge ego and is a douche.
Summed up perfectly.
Old 02-12-10, 02:02 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

I'm not even going to lie. I really like Room For Squares. I can still pull that out and listen to it straight through.

However, John Mayer's persona has really worn thin with me. I thought he was alright when he first came around. He was humble and goofy, but now he def seems like a media whore to the seventh power. I still think he's really talented, but I haven't really cared for much of his music since Squares either (I do like Daughters though).
Old 02-12-10, 04:43 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,866
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
I'm not even going to lie. I really like Room For Squares. I can still pull that out and listen to it straight through.

However, John Mayer's persona has really worn thin with me. I thought he was alright when he first came around. He was humble and goofy, but now he def seems like a media whore to the seventh power. I still think he's really talented, but I haven't really cared for much of his music since Squares either (I do like Daughters though).
I agree. I had a real crush on him back when Squares was out because he was so likable in interviews and everything. But once stardom hit you could tell he changed with every million albums sold. I do think he is a talented guitarist and think he still makes decent music but once he became this blog/twitter whore he lost a lot of the appeal that worked in his favor when he came out.
Old 02-12-10, 06:14 PM
  #17  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Men have different tastes when it comes to having sex with. Some men like men. Some little boys,sheep,fat women,old women. Even dead women.
Another celeb who has to say I'm sorry because of liberal pc b.s.
Old 02-12-10, 07:50 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Originally Posted by jdodd View Post
He was on an episode of Chappelle's Show. Clearly this makes him blacker than Ashy Larry.
Chappelle's Show was as white as it gets.
Old 02-12-10, 11:45 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,866
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Men have different tastes when it comes to having sex with. Some men like men. Some little boys,sheep,fat women,old women. Even dead women.
Another celeb who has to say I'm sorry because of liberal pc b.s.
Although I disagree with you politically, I do notice a double standard with this subject. Some years back Christina Aguilera attacked Jennifer Love Hewitt in Rolling Stone magazine for always dating white men. Can you imagine the furor if she attacked a female celebrity who only dated black men? I just don't see the difference why one is "ok" and the other isn't.
Old 02-12-10, 11:49 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,239
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

For reference since a recap was posted earlier, here's the actual interview:

http://www.playboy.com/articles/john...ex.html?page=2
Old 02-13-10, 01:21 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,699
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

I believe that this was the controversial statement:

PLAYBOY: Do black women throw themselves at you?

MAYER: I don’t think I open myself to it. My dick is sort of like a white supremacist. I’ve got a Benetton heart and a fuckin’ David Duke cock. I’m going to start dating separately from my dick.
Old 02-13-10, 01:33 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 33,493
Received 224 Likes on 170 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Isn't he a one-hit wonder from about eight years ago? I sort of remember that "Wonderland" song being played to death for about a month, and then he seemed to fall off the face of the earth.
Old 02-13-10, 05:22 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,975
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Things like this could be a major killjoy for Playboy doing interviews of famous people in the future--especially with today's public Internet!

Last edited by RayChuang; 02-13-10 at 05:24 AM. Reason: correct wording
Old 02-13-10, 07:41 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 359
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

I wore out his "inside wants out" album back in the day. His subsequent albums were just ok...including "room for squares"...

You can read the whole interview at playboy.com...and honestly...it's not that bad. This was blown way out of proportion. Yes, he could have said a few things differently and he comes across a little d-baggy...but at least he's honest and candid...and that is something I can appreciate. We have all said some dumbass things in our lives...it just so happens that we aren't famous and major magazines don't want to interview us.

I don't feel sorry for him...but I also think this was crazy overblown...as usual.
Old 02-13-10, 10:34 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Very far away..
Posts: 4,516
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: John Mayer apologizes for racist remark

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Men have different tastes when it comes to having sex with. Some men like men. Some little boys,sheep,fat women,old women. Even dead women.
Another celeb who has to say I'm sorry because of liberal pc b.s.
Are you drunk when you post here?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.