Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

a-ha farewell tour - ending on a high note US dates

Old 02-05-10, 02:01 PM

a-ha farewell tour - ending on a high note US dates

after 25 years, a-ha has announced they will break up after this final farewell tour... after months of speculation on if & how many US dates they would play, they have finally announced the only 4 US dates (in only 2 cities)

THURSDAY MAY 6 NOKIA THEATRE NEW YORK

FRIDAY MAY 7 NOKIA THEATRE NEW YORK

SATURDAY MAY 8 NOKIA THEATRE NEW YORK (new date added 02-09!)

SATURDAY MAY 15 CLUB NOKIA LOS ANGELES

SUNDAY MAY 16 CLUB NOKIA LOS ANGELES

tickets are on sale now thru ticketmaster!

Last edited by bearkiss; 02-09-10 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 03:49 PM

Re: a-ha farewell tour - ending on a high note US dates

two cities that's frickin' typcial - oh well....
Old 02-05-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They must be big Nokia fans
Old 02-05-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought my tickets today at the Nokia in NYC. There was a few other hardcore fans on the line with me as well as a scalper. The tickets are 42.50 but ticketmaster's extra ridiculous fees on top would put it at $50 something when ordering online.

and yes I'm disappointed they won't be playing anymore shows in the US but at least they gave us this. You got to realize the only time they played since their 1986 tour in the US was in 2005 at Irving Plaza in NYC. I was there as well and that show sold out in under an hour. I'm guaranteeing these will sell out as well so if you have any thoughts about going buy your tickets now before it's too late. Scalpers are already on ebay selling tickets it appears.

Last edited by statcat; 02-05-10 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=statcat;9983440]I just bought my tickets today at the Nokia in NYC. There was a few other hardcore fans on the line with me as well as a scalper. The tickets are 42.50 but ticketmaster's extra ridiculous fees on top would put it at $50 something when ordering online.

I ordered mine on line and after their outrageous fees my total for (2) $42.50 tickets came to $111.05... and I had to do that twice to see both shows!

but I'm not complaining about the price - I'm mainly upset of the lack of dates & cities... when they toured the US in 1986 they did 40+ cities... and last fall when they announced the farewell tour they said they would be doing "2 weeks" of US dates... I expected the usual suspects - ny, chicago, las vegas, los angeles - but was pretty disappointed in them only doing 2 cities...

still I promised myself I'd go if they came over here so I chose the NY shows because I've never been to NY and that way I could see them both nights (at the time of my decision, they had only scheduled one LA show)

Last edited by bearkiss; 02-05-10 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bummer. I was hoping to finally get the chace to see them .. guess not
Old 02-05-10, 08:48 PM

I really can't afford to go to the NYC shows, but I really really hope one of the 'farewell' concerts (I woud assume it will be a European show) is taped and released on DVD/bluray.
Old 02-05-10, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I really can't afford to go to the NYC shows, but I really really hope one of the 'farewell' concerts (I woud assume it will be a European show) is taped and released on DVD/bluray.

I'm counting on one of the Oslo Norway shows being filmed - they're playing their final 3 dates ever there in December...

of course it won't be released in the US but thank god for region free players & importing!
Old 02-05-10, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by bearkiss View Post
I'm counting on one of the Oslo Norway shows being filmed - they're playing their final 3 dates ever there in December...

of course it won't be released in the US but thank god for region free players & importing!
yeah, I have their Valhalla concert DVD
Old 02-05-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks A-Ha. N.Y. and L.A. hardly covers the U.S. What the fuck!?
Old 02-05-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got this email before:

Additional US Date On Sale Now!

Due to extremely high demand, an additional a-ha show has just been added to the Ending On A High Note tour.

A very limited number of tickets for the May 16 show in LA are on sale right now at a-ha.com. Tickets for the same show go on sale through Ticketmaster tomorrow morning, February 6, at 10 am PST. We expect this and the other US shows will sell out, so get your tickets today.
Old 02-05-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just reason enough to believe that possibly more shows will be added in other places. I guess it will be based on the response from these 4 shows.
Old 02-05-10, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Thanks A-Ha. N.Y. and L.A. hardly covers the U.S. What the fuck!?

I guess just like the average US person thinks they're a one hit wonder with "take on me", perhaps the group or foreign management thinks the US is just NY & LA?
Old 02-06-10, 12:08 AM

I guess just like the average US person thinks they're a one hit wonder with "take on me", perhaps the group or foreign management thinks the US is just NY & LA?
that's usually the case. Royksopp is notorious for only doing the New York/LA only US tour

Alot of international/UK/European tour managements never book anything south of Philly. There are numerous bands I'd love to see perform, but just don't make it to DC.
Old 02-06-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they have fans throughout the US. I could only guess why they're doing just LA or NY but consider too that they haven't even released an album here since Memorial Beach in 1993. They pretty much gave up promoting here around the time of the second album. Their only US tour was their first in 1986. Australian and Canadian fans are pissed as well and rightfully so because they aren't even going to play either at all.
Old 02-06-10, 12:54 AM

I tend to compare them in a way to kylie minogue - not the music of course - but the career which has them known in the US for only one song (or in kylie's case two)... at least when she did her first ever tour of north america last fall she did 8 shows in 6 cities - 5 cities in the US and 1 in canada...
Old 02-06-10, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tend to compare them in a way to kylie minogue - not the music of course - but the career which has them known in the US for only one song (or in kylie's case two)... at least when she did her first ever tour of north america last fall she did 8 shows in 6 cities - 5 cities in the US and 1 in canada...
sun always shines on tv charted at 20, know thats a bit off but I like to count that as well. Think they could of got more up there as well but didn't bother for some reason.
Old 02-06-10, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm hoping these were only test runs to find out how they might sell in the U.S. and will add more shows soon (particularly Chicago). I tried to get tix through the fan club and they were all gone seconds into the sale.

I did see them in 1986, but I was only 19 at the time, drunk, and was more interested in the girls in the crowd than watching the band.
Old 02-06-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Kylie is better known in middle America than a-ha. Kylie might not score a lot of hits but people seem to at least know she's still around, while there's been way too common a "a-ha is still around?" reaction to their breakup, because if it isn't getting played on radio, people automatically assume it doesn't exist. And then people wonder why so many "lowest common denominator" type acts are popular in the US.
Old 02-06-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

after 25 years, a-ha has announced they will break up after this final farewell tour... after months of speculation on if & how many US dates they would play, they have finally announced the only 4 US dates (in only 2 cities)

THURSDAY MAY 6 NOKIA THEATRE NEW YORK

FRIDAY MAY 7 NOKIA THEATRE NEW YORK

SATURDAY MAY 15 CLUB NOKIA LOS ANGELES

SUNDAY MAY 16 CLUB NOKIA LOS ANGELES

tickets are on sale now thru ticketmaster!

I didn't know they were still together..Have they been touring at all..?
Old 02-06-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I didn't know they were still together..Have they been touring at all..?
yeah they have played lots and lots of shows in the past decade:

complete tour history:

http://www.a-ha.com/tour/history/AHA_tourHistory.aspx
Old 02-07-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598 View Post
bummer. I was hoping to finally get the chace to see them .. guess not
Same here.. The price is nothing, the locations aren't the best for me to be able to make it though.
Old 02-07-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
What the fuck!?

Taaaaake Meeeee Ooooon.
Old 02-07-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a fan but I do think a-ha gave up on America just as much as America gave up on them. Outside of a one-off show a few years ago, they haven't toured the states since 1986. I do think US radio was too quick to peg them as a one hit wonder with Take On Me (well The Sun Always Shines On TV was a smaller hit here too) but I think they could've had more stateside success if they toured here more. But in reality, a-ha didn't need America, much like ABBA and Kylie Minogue. Worldwide success was so massive that while US success is nice, its nothing they lose sleep over because they're still a household name in much of Europe.
Old 02-09-10, 12:32 PM

3rd new york show added for saturday may 8th! tickets go on sale this friday!

and the most recent email from the a-ha official web site newsletter says:

At this time there are no other US dates planned, but if any new shows come up, we'll definitely be announcing them via this newsletter.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.