DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   We Are the World 25 -- for Haiti (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/568977-we-world-25-haiti.html)

bigjim25 02-03-10 01:40 AM

We Are the World 25 -- for Haiti

Sales of the recording will benefit earthquake relief efforts in Haiti. The song is an updated version of the 1985 recording of "We Are the World" written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie. During a press conference prior to the recording session in Los Angeles, Quincy Jones, who produced the original record, said he and Richie had resisted calling attention to the 25th anniversary of the all-star recording but changed his mind when the magnitude 7 earthquake struck Haiti on Jan. 12. "We got a text message saying, 'Coincidence is God's way of staying anonymous,'" Jones said. Others participating in the session included Miley Cyrus, Jeff Bridges, Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett, Celine Dion, the Jonas Brothers, Pink, Brian Wilson, Jamie Foxx, Carlos Santana, T-Pain, Jason Mraz, Gladys Knight, Snoop Dogg, LL Cool J, Zac Brown, Julianne Hough, Sugarland, & Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart.
The following is a list of the rumored artists/actors involved (will update when official):
Akon
India.Arie
Patti Austin
Tony Bennett
Justin Bieber
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
Ethan Bortnick
Brandy
Jeff Bridges
Toni Braxton
Zac Brown
Natalie Cole
Harry Connick Jr.
Kid Cudi
Miley Cyrus
Celine Dion
Snoop Dogg
Drake
Earth Wind & Fire
Faith Evans
Melanie Fiona
Jamie Foxx
Sean Garrett
Tyrese Gibson
Josh Groban
Anthony Hamilton
Keri Hilson
Julianne Hough
Jennifer Hudson
Enrique Iglesias
LL Cool J
Janet Jackson
Randy Jackson
Taj Jackson
Taryll Jackson
TJ Jackson
Al Jardine
Joe Jonas
Kevin Jonas
Nick Jonas
Rashida Jones
Gladys Knight
Adam Levine
Jimmy Jean Louis
Benji Madden
Joel Madden
Mary Mary
Katharine McPhee
Jason Mraz
Mya
Orianthi
Freda Payne
Pink
A. R. Rahman
Nicole Richie
Raphael Saadiq
Carlos Santana
Nicole Scherzinger
Isaac Slade
Trey Songz
Musiq Soulchild
Jordin Sparks
Barbra Streisand
Sugarland
T-Pain
Robin Thicke
Rob Thomas
Usher
Vince Vaughn
Lil Wayne
Kanye West
Will.i.am
Ann Wilson
Brian Wilson
Nancy Wilson
BeBe Winans

The 2010 version of "We Are the World" is scheduled to debut on US TV channel NBC on February 12 during their coverage of the opening ceremony of the 2010 Winter Olympic. Paul Haggis, an Academy award-winning film director, is involved with the production of a 3D music video to accompany the new version of "We Are the World".

pjflyer 02-03-10 02:25 PM

Re: We Are the World 25 -- for Haiti

No Dan Aykroyd - No sale!

cpgator 02-03-10 02:51 PM

Just wanted to say that "Will.i.am" is really stupid. The spelling that is. No idea who this is so I can't comment on the actual person....

movie diva 02-03-10 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by cpgator (Post 9979560)
Just wanted to say that "Will.i.am" is really stupid. The spelling that is. No idea who this is so I can't comment on the actual person....

He is with The Black Eye Peas.

Supermallet 02-03-10 03:21 PM

Which makes him even more stupid (Will.i.am that is, not cpgator).

Hokeyboy 02-03-10 04:26 PM

Wow that room is really gonna smell.

Drexl 02-03-10 04:27 PM

Why are the Jonas Brothers listed individually? Why not just use the group name like the others? Maybe they're trying to get away from the group dynamic and will be standing in different places.

I suppose if T-Pain can't make it, someone else can just use that iPhone app and fill in for him.

Thrush 02-03-10 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by cpgator (Post 9979560)

I actually think Musiq Soulchild is slightly more obnoxious.

The Infidel 02-03-10 05:37 PM

I wonder if Prince is once again going to phone in a contribution to the project.

jmu878 02-03-10 05:43 PM

wow...what an embarrassing line up. probably doing more harm than good.

wm lopez 02-03-10 06:34 PM

On Wed. INSIDE EDTION they reported that Beyouce, Lady Ga Ga and Tayor Swift refused to show up.

Liver&Onions 02-03-10 06:43 PM

Damn you Beyouce!

Hokeyboy 02-03-10 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 9980023)
Damn you Beyouce!

Racist. No vitriol for Tayor?? :mad:

WMAangel 02-03-10 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 9980009)
On Wed. INSIDE EDTION they reported that Beyouce, Lady Ga Ga and Tayor Swift refused to show up.

I'm not some big fan of hers trying to defend her here or something, but I wouldn't say Taylor Swift "refused" to show up....she would have done it if her schedule had allowed it, but she had to leave on a plane to Australia for her tour there literally right after the Grammys ended Sunday night....

VHS? 02-03-10 08:11 PM

It sounds like caca ... just a hip-hop remix that you find on youtube all the time.
I know it is for a good cause but they should have just done something else.
http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/02/we-are...ne-dion-video/

It's still unclear if they will leave Michaels voice or have some hack auto-tune artist do it ...

gmanca 02-03-10 09:39 PM

Where's Huey Lewis to belt the rally cry of strength through adversity?

Decker 02-04-10 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by pjflyer (Post 9979516)
No Dan Aykroyd - No sale!

Looks like Jeff Bridges is the token actor in the group this time. Has ANY old hippie ever had a better two month span than Jeff Bridges?

TripWire 02-04-10 07:35 AM

this song needs to die!

Buttmunker 02-04-10 07:38 AM

If Band Aid X, Band Aid VVVVVI, and the rest couldn't have success with Do They Know Its Christmas, I don't see good things with this.

cungar 02-04-10 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9980570)
Looks like Jeff Bridges is the token actor in the group this time. Has ANY old hippie ever had a better two month span than Jeff Bridges?

Vince Vaughn is there too. For some unknown reason.

Oliver Clothesoff 02-04-10 08:35 AM

Haven't the people of Haiti suffered enough?

Kelkee 02-04-10 09:44 AM

People are already helping Haiti through other means. Do we really need this? Really?

For once can we just let something that was great for what is was just be? This is a complete desecration to the original concept and relief efforts this song was created to raise awareness and money for.

Hey artists listed above: How come you didn't get your collective butts together in a sound studio for 9/11 or the 2004 Tsunami or any of the myriad of travesties that have happened since 1985 but suddenly at the 25th anniversary of one of the greatest ideas to come out of the recording industry you can gang up and belt out a tune?

Give me a break.

Hokeyboy 02-04-10 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kelkee (Post 9980876)
People are already helping Haiti through other means. Do we really need this? Really?

For once can we just let something that was great for what is was just be? This is a complete desecration to the original concept and relief efforts this song was created to raise awareness and money for.

Hey artists listed above: How come you didn't get your collective butts together in a sound studio for 9/11 or the 2004 Tsunami or any of the myriad of travesties that have happened since 1985 but suddenly at the 25th anniversary of one of the greatest ideas to come out of the recording industry you can gang up and belt out a tune?

Give me a break.

HELPING PEOPLE IN THE POOREST COUNTRY IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE COPE WITH A CATACLYSMIC NATURAL DISASTER IS BAD!! :mad:

Seriously though... "complete desecration"? Are you for real? The original song wasn't exactly "Kashmir".Cheesy, lame, overwrought, overplayed... if anything, the remake has nowhere to go but up.

And last I checked there was a TON of benefit concerts for 9/11 (including a multi-network fundraiser).

(Or are you one of these "I donated to Haiti through my federal taxes" types?)

ScissorPuppy 02-04-10 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kelkee (Post 9980876)
Hey artists listed above: How come you didn't get your collective butts together in a sound studio for 9/11

Michael Jackson did try to release a single after 9/11. It was an older song that was rewritten and had guest vocalists. But it never really got released for several reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_More_Can_I_Give%3F

I kinda feel like this wouldn't be happening if MJ had not died. MJ may have tried to do something, but this We are the World 25 thing is pretty shady.

Kelkee 02-04-10 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9980892)
And last I checked there was a TON of benefit concerts for 9/11 (including a multi-network fundraiser).

You know as well as I do that the ONLY reason ALL these artists (and I use that term loosely) are getting together is to boost their own egos by associating themselves with the original project. Plus this is just more of the post MJ tribute hype all rolled into one big mess.

Oh and to help Haiti while we're at it.