Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

We were saved in the latter-half of 1991

Old 01-25-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We were saved in the latter-half of 1991

It is amazing to me how many great artists/albums we got in the latter-half of 1991. Consider........

September 24th:
Nevermind by Nirvana
Blood Sugar Sex Magik by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

August 21st:
Ten by Pearl Jam

August 13th:
Metallica by Metallica

September 17th:
Use Your Illusion I &II by Guns 'N Roses

And when I say "we were saved," I mean to say that we were saved from teeny-bop music. Here's the Top 20 songs of 1991:

1. (Everything I Do) I Do It for You, Bryan Adams
2. I Wanna Sex You Up, Color Me Badd
3. Gonna Make You Sweat, C+C Music Factory
4. Rush, Rush, Paula Abdul
5. One More Try, Timmy T
6. Unbelievable, EMF
7. More Than Words, Extreme
8. I Like the Way (The Kissing Game), Hi-Five
9. The First Time, Surface
10. Baby, Baby, Amy Grant
11. Motownphilly, Boyz II Men
12. Because I Love You (The Postman Song), Stevie B
13. Someday, Mariah Carey
14. High Enough, Damn Yankees
15. From a Distance, Bette Midler
16. All the Man That I Need, Whitney Houston
17. Right Here Right Now, Jesus Jones
18. I Adore Mi Amor, Color Me Badd
19. Love Will Never Do (Without You), Janet Jackson
20. Good Vibrations, Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch Featuring Loleatta Holloway

Now while some of these are "ok" songs, the rest don't impress me too much. And to think, the remaider of the 1990's could have been more of this "fluff." The few bands I posted above allowed the 1990's to become great, instead of mediocre.

Below is a link/article that says it better than me:

http://www.last.fm/user/cataphoresis...albums_of_1991

Best Albums of 1991
23 Dec 2008, 00:52

I've decided to cross-post my old "Best Of" lists that I had on my website retarsia.com. First up, 1991:

While 1991 wasn't a particularly strong year in music in terms of number of quality releases (at least to me at the ripe age of 10), it did however produce a few essential cornerstones of any well rounded CD collection. It is with this year, the year I began to listen to rock and roll, that I begin my lists. And with that, on we go...

10. Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill
Reflections: The first real rap album I ever remember hearing (not counting Hammer or Vanilla Ice), Cypress Hill's selftitled opened a whole new world to me. While this album wasn't particularly brilliant or well-polished, it was good.

9. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
Reflections: A cult classic, I didn't hear this album untilI hit college. MBV is definitely a unique listen, but after a few listens, the music becomes almost intoxicating. Most people have probably never listened to My Bloody Valentine, but they should. Not the easiest stuff to get into, but it's worth at least a listen.
Best tracks: When You Sleep

8. Achtung Baby - U2
Reflections: There's no denying U2's place in the pop culture pantheon nowadays, but back in 1991 they released, in my mind, their finest album. Back before all the rediculous hype, the boys from Ireland just made quality rock and roll, and this album reflects it.
Best tracks: Even Better Than The Real Thing

7. Out of Time - R.E.M.
Reflections: The album that put Michael Stipe and pals in the spotlight. I remember the first time I heard R.E.M. was on MTV when I caught the video for 'Losing My Religion.' I was mesmerized - the vocals, the guitars - it seemed like such a sad, but beautiful song. While later R.E.M. efforts fell way short of Out of Time's success, this album is solid.
Best tracks: Losing My Religion

6. Use Your Illusion I - Guns N' Roses
Reflections: The better of GNR's two albums of 1991, this album, along with the remaining few on this list, weened me away from pop music (Gloria Estefan, etc) into the glorious world of rock (and later into punk). I still remember hearing Axl Rose's raspy voice screeching out tunes on this disc. And come on, 'November Rain'? How could you not like that song?
Best tracks: November Rain

5. Trompe le Monde - The Pixies
Reflections: Admittedly, I didn't get into the Pixies until
I got to college. Anybody who appreciated the change in rock music of the early 90s can appreciate the Pixies, who seemed to be inspiration for most all of the bigger bands of the time. Trompe Le Monde is the band's best album, and was way ahead of its time. Though not the most polished album ever (Pixies albums rarely are) this is something everybody who likes rock should listen to at least once.
Best tracks: Alec Eiffel, Planet of Sound

4. Blood Sugar Sex Magick - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Reflections: The Chili Peppers did something I'd never really heard before, they mixed smooth, chill out music with some pretty loud rock and semi-rap - and they pulled it off well. After seeing the video for 'Under The Bridge' I went out and got the tape, and was hooked. While the album has its weak spots, it also has unbelievable highs, and for such, will always remain in my collection.
Best tracks: Breaking the Girl, Under the Bridge, Give It Away,
Suck My Kiss

3. Ten - Pearl Jam
Reflections: Back in the early 90s, Pearl Jam was one of my favorite bands, but then the quality of their music went right down the crapper (see Vitalogy, Yield, etc). But Ten was simply amazing. As major figureheads in the grunge movement, something I was definitely into back in my younger days, Pearl Jam's Ten was brilliant. Eddie Vedder's aggresive, yet smooth and listenable vocals make this album a necessary own.
Best tracks: Evenflow, Alive, Jeremy, Go

2. Metallica - Metallica
Reflections: This is without a doubt, one of the best albums ever. The Black album rocks solid from start to finish, as most anybody who's ever listened to it would probably agree. When grunge was taking over the airwaves, the boys of Metallica put out this gem of heavy metal goodness. If you need some loud, aggressive music, you think Metallica. And when you want good Metallica, this is the album you want.
Best tracks: Wherever I May Roam, Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, Sad But True

1. Nevermind - Nirvana
Reflections: I hate to sound corny, but this album really did change my life. I stopped listening to crap, and started listening to loud, aggressive rock - it fostered me from childhood into teenage life. Kurt Cobain became the first rock idol I ever looked up to, and even though I honestly couldn't understand a single word in the first of his songs I ever heard (Teen Spirit) I knew that I liked what I heard. For people my age, I would bet most of them own a copy of Nevermind - it's the Frampton Comes Alive for Generation X.
Best tracks: The entire damned album. I didn't feel like listing every track.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 01-25-10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: We were saved in the latter-half of 1991

While I've long since moved on from pop I don't have a problem with most of the songs in that list.

6. Unbelievable, EMF

That's 13 songs out of the 20 that were great at the time, IMO. Just fun music, nothing serious like the mopey shit grunge gave us as well as the stuff from Metallica... and I love grunge and Metallica. Also the list doesn't have Bell Biv Devoe, who were still coasting on their debut well into '91, and Digital Underground, who gave us two albums in '91, and were also very fun.

In fact I would argue that we didn't need to be saved then. I'd take any of those songs over most of the shit that passes for pop these days. Nothing is pure 'fun' anymore. P!nk qualifies, but other than that, I dunno. Saved from bad hair metal that had run its course, yes, but saved from pop, no.

*edit - it also looks like Michael Jackson gave us Dangerous on November 26, 1991, which supports your 'end of 91 was loaded,' theory.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-25-10 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
While
In fact I would argue that we didn't need to be saved then. I'd take any of those songs over most of the shit that passes for pop these days. Nothing is pure 'fun' anymore. P!nk qualifies, but other than that, I dunno.
What about that person calling herself Lady GaGa?

Lordy, we need to be saved again!
There was not enough "good stuff" in the first 10 years of the 21st Century, in my opinion. It was dominated by rap and freestyle. Rock was probably third-tier for an entire decade.
Old 01-25-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
There was not enough "good stuff" in the first 10 years of the 21st Century, in my opinion.
Well when you close out the 20th century with Master P and Backstreet Boys as two of the biggest artists out there, what did you expect?
Old 01-25-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Indeed, for me and the music I was into at the time, one of the best years.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...hard-beat.html

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 01-25-10 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A friend of mine introduced me to the wonders of Factory Records, Creation Records, SST Records, Dischord Records, 4AD Records, Wax Trax Records and Homestead Records in 1987. I remember Kurt Cobain was interviewed in "Interview" magazine in about 1989/1990, that's the first time I'd heard of him and Nirvana. So, by the time Nevermind came out, like lots of other people I'd already had Bleach for at least a year. Surfer Rosa and Doolittle had been out for a few years (Doolittle was even released on a major). Other American stuff like Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth and Husker Du were all either signed to major lables or soon to be signed. Smashing Pumpkin's "Gish" came out before "Nevermind" (I think). Mission of Burma had a Rykodisc CD comp that anyone who was anyone had. Big Black had been around for years. The first Lollapalooza had already happened. Jane's Addiction had already broken. Primus was on a major. Etc, etc. Nevermind just seemed like another very good album in that trend.

I remember really liking "Smells like Teen Spirit" and not liking the rest of the album too much. I still feel that way about the album. To be honest, I don't even think it's the best grunge album of the year (I'd take "Badmotorfinger"). "Nevermind" also took a while to catch on. It never got played on the radio when it first came out. Spin jumped on board early, but it really wasn't until 1992-3 that people started calling it a classic...

Similarly, the UK was already deep into dreampop/shoegaze by the time Loveless came out. "Isn't Anything" came out in 1988. "Glider" presaged Loveless by about a year (I think). Ride's debut, Slowdive's debut ep, Curve's debut, Swervedriver's debut EPs, the Cranes, Loop, Spacemen 3, Lush etc were all out and about by 1990.

Having said all of that "Loveless" was a complete shift for me. I remember seeing the video for "Only Shallow" on MTV and thinking that the broadcast was somehow distorted. That sound was just unbelievable. It took me about twenty listens to get my head around the album and by then I was convinced it was the greatest thing I'd ever heard. I still haven't heard anything like it and I think its influence cannot be overstated. To me it's a much more revolutionary album than Nevermind. I'd probably say the same thing about Achtung Baby but that's a story for another day.

Last edited by Hiro11; 01-25-10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excuse me but Use Your Illusion II kicks UYI I's ass

And that goes for all you punks in the press
That want to start shit by printin' lies
Instead of the things we said
That means you
Andy Secher at Hit Parader
Circus Magazine
Mick Wall at Kerrang
Bob Guccione Jr. at Spin,
What you pissed off cuz your dad gets more
pussy than you?
Fuck you
Suck my fuckin' dick

You be rippin' off the fuckin' kids
While they be payin' their hard earned
money to read about the bands
They want to know about
Printin' lies startin' controversy
You wanta antagonize me
Antagonize me motherfucker
Get in the ring motherfucker
And I'll kick your bitchy little ass
Punk
Old 01-25-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
Excuse me but Use Your Illusion II kicks UYI I's ass
... Bob Guccione Jr. accepted Axl's challenge and Axl wussed...
Old 01-25-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My only problem with your examples is that you are comparing albums to singles. Top 40 singles for many decades would probably rank quite a bit lower than respected albums from the same year.
Old 01-25-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is amazing to me how many great artists/albums we got in the latter-half of 1991. Consider........

September 24th:
Nevermind by Nirvana

August 21st:
Ten by Pearl Jam

August 13th:
Metallica by Metallica

September 17th:
Use Your Illusion I &II by Guns 'N Roses

And when I say "we were saved," I mean to say that we were saved from teeny-bop music. Here's the Top 20 songs of 1991:

5. One More Try, Timmy T
6. Unbelievable, EMF
8. I Like the Way (The Kissing Game), Hi-Five
9. The First Time, Surface
10. Baby, Baby, Amy Grant
12. Because I Love You (The Postman Song), Stevie B
15. From a Distance, Bette Midler
16. All the Man That I Need, Whitney Houston

Now while some of these are "ok" songs, the rest don't impress me too much. And to think, the remaider of the 1990's could have been more of this "fluff."
Thank God grunge and a resurgent metal came along to save us from pop when they did, and as a result, these were the top 20 songs of 1992:

1. End of the Road, Boyz II Men
2. Baby Got Back, Sir Mix A-lot
3. Jump, Kris Kross
4. Save the Best for Last, Vanessa Williams
5. Baby-Baby-Baby, TLC
6. Tears In Heaven, Eric Clapton
7. My Lovin (You're Never Gonna Get It), En Vogue
8. Under the Bridge, Red Hot Chili Peppers
9. All 4 Love, Color Me Badd
10. Just Another Day, Jon Secada
11. I Love Your Smile, Shanice
12. To Be With You, Mr. Big
13. I'm Too Sexy, Right Said Fred
14. Black Or White, Michael Jackson
15. Achy Breaky Heart, Billy Ray Cyrus
16. I'll Be There, Mariah Carey
17. November Rain, Guns N' Roses
18. Life Is a Highway, Tom Cochrane
19. Remember the Time, Michael Jackson
20. Finally, CeCe Peniston

OK, less sarcastically, since the mid-60s, rock simply hasn't dominated the charts. That was the case in 1967 when we were seeing transcendental albums like Sgt. Pepper and Their Satanic Majesties Request and and the Doors self-titled debut and the Velvet Underground's semi-self-titled debut and Disraeli Gears and The Who Sell Out and two albums from Jimi Hendrix ... and the top songs were by Lulu and the Turtles and Bobby Gentry.

That was the case in 1977 when punk was exploding with albums from the Clash and Television and Johnny Thunders and the Talking Heads even as Alice Cooper and Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and AC/DC were defining heavy metal ... and the top songs were by Andy Gibb, Barbara Streisand, and K.C. and the Sunshine Band.

Pick a year and I can find you a ton of good rock that came out ... and none of it will have been on the charts. Which isn't to say there weren't some damned good albums that came out in 1991, but the way to prove that is to compare the "best" albums of 1991 (however you want to define that) with the best albums of some other year. Comparing half a dozen or a dozen high quality albums (and other than the Cypress Hill album, I like all of the stuff you listed) to Casey Kasem's countdown doesn't prove anything.
Old 01-25-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's never been an opinion by JasonF that I've disagreed with. Well said as usual.
Old 01-25-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who's going to save us now?
Old 01-25-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard "Smells like Teen Spirit" for the first time when someone loudly played it down the hall in my dorm in the fall of '91. Such angst and beauty in Cobain's vocals. That was my first impression of the impending grunge movement.
Old 01-25-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Jon Secada", I bet that name hasn't been uttered in years.
Old 01-25-10, 03:19 PM

September 24th:
Nevermind by Nirvana

August 21st:
Ten by Pearl Jam

August 13th:
Metallica by Metallica

September 17th:
Use Your Illusion I &II by Guns 'N Roses.
I like the Nirvana album well enough, but I hate (and I mean really despise more than you could possibly even imagine) every other album you listed.
Old 01-25-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not really a Pearl Jam fan myself, but PJ is better than Color Me Badd.
Old 01-25-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Neither "Use Your Illusion" is a good album, let alone a great one. The best cuts off both albums combined might make one good one, but on their own they never pass any level other than mediocre.
Old 01-25-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally the "pop" that was big in 1990-1991 was better than the "pop" of the mid-90's. I'd still rather listen to Paula Abdul or Gloria Estefan than Ace Of Base or Boyz II Men. Nirvana did a lot of good for rock music, but at the same time pop and r&b music changed for the worse.

The main prob with rock today is that rock radio won't take risks. They would rather play Nickelback, 3 Doors Down and Kid Rock than more "edgy" artists. Its no different than in the 80's when rock radio would play Bon Jovi, Poison and Warrant but stayed away from The Cure or R.E.M. unless they had a song like Just Like Heaven or The One I Love that was so big that rock stations had to jump on the bandwagon. I remember our local rock station said they wouldn't play Kings Of Leon a year ago because they weren't sure how their audience would respond to it, but suddenly plays them now because Use Somebody was such a big crossover hit.
Old 01-25-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In a single post, you praise Paula Abdul, Gloria Estefan, *and* Kings of Leon.
Old 01-25-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
In a single post, you praise Paula Abdul, Gloria Estefan, *and* Kings of Leon.
I do think Gloria is much more talented than credited for. The Unwrapped album shows she actually is heads and above the acts she's generally linked with. Paula is total fluff tho and I'm the first to admit her music on my ipod is nostalgia based as I was a kid then, kinda like how I will admittedly break out Debbie and Tiffany, it's all just nostalgic fluff.

But I do try to like a lot of types of music. The two cd's I've been spinning most lately have been Vampire Weekend and Mary J. Blige.
Old 01-25-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People are still referring to Soundgarden as a grunge band?
Old 01-25-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back in 1991 I wasn't having any fun,
'til my roommate said "come on" and put a brand new record on.
Had a baby on it, he was naked on it
then I heard the chords that broke the chains I had upon me...
Old 01-25-10, 11:17 PM

stop making me feel fucking old
Old 01-25-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If only would someone save us today! Today's charts are even worst than the top 20 in 1991!
Old 01-25-10, 11:42 PM

1991 was a good year. Some of my favorites:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Nirvana - Nevermind
Slint - Spiderland
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
The Jesus Lizard - Goat
Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque
U2 - Achtung Baby
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Sebadoh - III
Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha
This Mortal Coil - Blood
His Name Is Alive - Home Is in Your Head
Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.