Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

We were saved in the latter-half of 1991

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

We were saved in the latter-half of 1991

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-22, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: We were saved in the latter-half of 1991

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
2. Metallica - Metallica
Reflections: This is without a doubt, one of the best albums ever. The Black album rocks solid from start to finish, as most anybody who's ever listened to it would probably agree. When grunge was taking over the airwaves, the boys of Metallica put out this gem of heavy metal goodness. If you need some loud, aggressive music, you think Metallica. And when you want good Metallica, this is the album you want.

I mean, if your only other options are St. Anger and Load/Reload? I guess...

I miss Buttmunker. He was like an Oldboy's multiversal variant.
Old 07-08-22, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

That year was such a big shift at my highschool. Friends went from wearing baggy pants, Starter Jackets and flashy shirts to the Grunge look basically over night.

Meanwhile, I was still hangin' on to Glam Metal.

Old 07-08-22, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I was a huge QUEEN fan. Innuendo came out that year and, sadly, Freddie died that November (on the same day as Eric Carr from KISS, I just discovered).
Old 07-08-22, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I was disappointed with the two GnR "Use Your Illusion" albums. Especially after their Appetite masterpiece.

When I first heard these, that's when I realized immediately that they were likely dumping almost every mediocre song they wrote and the kitchen sink onto these two Illusions albums. At the time, GnR were at their peak popularity and could likely count on Illusions selling like hotcakes upon release. Their record company Geffen likely also saw this opportunity too for a huge cash windfall.

Old 07-08-22, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
I was disappointed with the two GnR "Use Your Illusion" albums. Especially after their Appetite masterpiece.

When I first heard these, that's when I realized immediately that they were likely dumping almost every mediocre song they wrote and the kitchen sink onto these two Illusions albums. At the time, GnR were at their peak popularity and could likely count on Illusions selling like hotcakes upon release. Their record company Geffen likely also saw this opportunity too for a huge cash windfall.
Yeah, in retrospect those albums are a mere shadow of Appetite, but at the time I was so starved for new GNR I was happy to have them.

For me, 1991 was important as it was the year that some of my favorite metal bands formed: Cradle of Filth, Emperor, Behemoth, Burzum, Immortal, and Satyricon (1991 was pretty well ground zero for the explosion of Norwegian black metal bands, but that stuff was waaaaay underground at the time)
Old 07-08-22, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
That year was such a big shift at my highschool. Friends went from wearing baggy pants, Starter Jackets and flashy shirts to the Grunge look basically over night.

Meanwhile, I was still hangin' on to Glam Metal.

Sorta sounds like my high school, except 10 years earlier and in reverse. I embraced the punk and new wave styles, while all the guys were still stuck in the 70s. My yearbook looks like the cast of Dazed and Confused, except I graduated in 1985.
Old 07-08-22, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
5. Trompe le Monde - The Pixies
Reflections: Admittedly, I didn't get into the Pixies until
I got to college. Anybody who appreciated the change in rock music of the early 90s can appreciate the Pixies, who seemed to be inspiration for most all of the bigger bands of the time. Trompe Le Monde is the band's best album, and was way ahead of its time. Though not the most polished album ever (Pixies albums rarely are) this is something everybody who likes rock should listen to at least once.
Best tracks: Alec Eiffel, Planet of Sound
I realize this was a very long thread bump, but not one person questioned this? Kim Deal being barely there makes Trompe le Monde much more of a Frank Black album (and hardly his best considering both Los Angeles and Teenager of the Year were IMO significantly superior). I have never heard anyone say Trompe is their favorite Pixies album. I don't think I know of anyone that places it anywhere but dead last, but an argument could be made that it beats out Bossanova. Also, with both Doolittle and Bossanova exhibiting pretty polished production, the "Pixies albums rarely are" line is a bit odd, especially as the choice to go with a less polished approach was deliberate for this album.

Also, Screeching Weasel were criminally underrated. Ben being a bit problematic now doesn't change how good they were.
Old 07-11-22, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonx
i realize this was a very long thread bump, but not one person questioned this? Kim deal being barely there makes trompe le monde much more of a frank black album (and hardly his best considering both los angeles and teenager of the year were imo significantly superior). I have never heard anyone say trompe is their favorite pixies album. I don't think i know of anyone that places it anywhere but dead last, but an argument could be made that it beats out bossanova. Also, with both doolittle and bossanova exhibiting pretty polished production, the "pixies albums rarely are" line is a bit odd, especially as the choice to go with a less polished approach was deliberate for this album.
this!
Old 07-11-22, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
The music was called grunge before the media used it as a buzzword.
Originally Posted by WMAangel
Please, you show me in one interview anywhere Soundgarden (or Nirvana, Pearl Jam, or Alice In Chains for that matter) accepted and promoted the term for themselves as you purport they did....good luck with that, as it is well know that all four of these bands found the label to be ridiculous....
Twelve years late to the party, but here it is...

The origin of "grunge" | Northwest Passage

The first noted instance of referring to a Seattle band as “grunge,” was in a 1981 letter by Mark Arm, according to Clark Humphrey in his account of the Seattle music scene, Loser.1 In his letter, in which he nominated his own “band”, Mr. Epp and the Calculations, as the most overrated band in Seattle, Arm writes: “I hate Mr. Epp and the Calculations! Pure grunge! Pure noise! Pure shit!” (Of course, Epp as a band didn't even exist yet.)
Bruce Pavitt later claimed to have popularized the term as a musical label in 1987, when he wrote some promotional copy for Green River, describing the band as “ultra-loose grunge that destroyed the morals of a generation”.2 Humphrey also notes that a Sub Pop press release described Mudhoney as “ultra sludge, glacial, heavy special, dirty punk.” It was among the many references Sub Pop would make toward “grunge” in its marketing, an exploitation they cheerfully fed to reporters and fans.

In the late 80s, “grunge” did actually define a sound – high levels of distortion, feedback, fuzz effects, a fusion of punk and metal influences. Though the bands attributed to the label definitely had unique talents, there was definitely a similar “sound” there. Much of this had to do with similar production and promotion. Many of these bands were on either the C/Z or Sub Pop record labels. Jack Endino, the so-called “Godfather of Grunge” recorded Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Green River, Nirvana and Blood Circus between 1984 and 1989.
But, by 1990, “grunge,” as a synonym for loud, heavy music, had peaked. Bands like Green River, the U-Men, Cat Butt, Feast and Blood Circus had broken up; Mudhoney and Soundgarden were veering into a new sound, and the scene was full of bands that didn’t fit the original label, like the Fastbacks, Young Fresh Fellows, Posies, Walkabouts and Beat Happening. (Even Nirvana, now liberated from the more restrictive sound requirements of Sub Pop, wanted to go into a poppier direction. Their more commercial approach was apparent in their breakthrough album, 1991’s Nevermind.) The 80s version of grunge, with long-haired musicians wailing away in front of tiny crowds at squalid clubs like the Central Tavern or Squid Row, was dead.

In 1991, Nirvana’s Nevermind album, Pearl Jam’s Ten, and Soundgarden’s Badmotorfinger were all released, and the following year, Alice in Chains released their landmark album, Dirt. With four huge alternative stars all hailing from the same region, the music media wanted a label to describe this new Seattle sound. Despite the music sounding significantly different from each other (and from bands that originally carried the "grunge" label), the “big four” Seattle bands were all labelled as grunge. Any other bands from Seattle at the time, were lumped into the category as well. Ben London of Alcohol Funnycar described it like this: “If you lived in Seattle and were under 30 at that point, you were grunge,” no matter what your band sounded like.

While inaccurate, the grunge label was convenient. For years, MTV and mainstream music magazines used grunge in almost every reference to Pearl Jam, Nirvana or Seattle music. The people directly involved with the music scene, however, hated the term. Former Rocket writer and Sub Pop staffer Jeff Gilbert said the word was like “talking to someone with bad breath: you could put up with it, you still wanted to distance yourself.” Ben Shepherd of Soundgarden put it a little more succinctly: “Grunge was a fucking word used in TV commercials about scum on your shower curtains.” Stone Gossard told an interviewer in the 90s that he refused to even say the word.

I was listening to Soundgarden in the late 1980s, back when they were one of many iconoclastic "Seattle Heavy Metal" bands, and was also an early adopter of Alice in Chains with their 1990 debut "Facelift." At that point, they were both just heavy metal bands that would receive regular rotation on the Headbanger's Ball on MTV, and I can sort of remember "grunge" being used as a subgenre of heavy metal (like thrash) to describe their sound. (Wish I could say that I bought a copy of "Bleach" back in 1989, but I can't. Didn't discover Nirvana until their "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video debuted back in '91.)

When Nirvana and Pearl Jam broke into the mainstream, "Grunge" became the catch-all label, and all of those bands distanced themselves from the heavy metal genre.
Old 07-12-22, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

From my (hazy) memory, I never recall any band in the 80/90s using actual labels for their own sound like Grunge, Goth, Thrash, Death, etc. Metallica, Slayer called themselves Heavy Metal, Nirvana, AIC, etc were rock or metal or maybe alternative. The Cure, Bauhaus were alternative or post-punk. It seems the media was the ones that used the labels for bands.
Old 07-12-22, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Most musicians don't getting pigeonholed into too specific genres.

Many will be fine with being classified as "rock" or "heavy metal" or "punk," but once you start breaking these down into smaller and smaller subgenres, it begins to limit their appeal to both new audiences and their existing audience, who will expect the same thing over and over again.

Most of the big grunge bands (Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc) hated that label being foisted upon them. AC/DC doesn't like being thought of a heavy metal band; they prefer to be referred to as rock and roll. Robert Smith doesn't like The Cure being thought of as a goth group.

I think that what happens is as these bands like Nirvana and AC/DC and The Cure get more popular with the mainstream, the genre labels become stifling.

There are exceptions, though. I remember in the 80s that a lot of thrash bands embraced that label, as did the hardcore punks who didn't shy away from the term hardcore. And then there's crossover thrash that bridged those two genres. But those genres had limited commercial appeal, and their fanbases were generally selective and would seek out that kind of material.
Old 07-12-22, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Most musicians don't getting pigeonholed into too specific genres.

Many will be fine with being classified as "rock" or "heavy metal" or "punk," but once you start breaking these down into smaller and smaller subgenres, it begins to limit their appeal to both new audiences and their existing audience, who will expect the same thing over and over again.

Most of the big grunge bands (Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc) hated that label being foisted upon them. AC/DC doesn't like being thought of a heavy metal band; they prefer to be referred to as rock and roll. Robert Smith doesn't like The Cure being thought of as a goth group.

I think that what happens is as these bands like Nirvana and AC/DC and The Cure get more popular with the mainstream, the genre labels become stifling.

There are exceptions, though. I remember in the 80s that a lot of thrash bands embraced that label, as did the hardcore punks who didn't shy away from the term hardcore. And then there's crossover thrash that bridged those two genres. But those genres had limited commercial appeal, and their fanbases were generally selective and would seek out that kind of material.
Ha, this reminds me of a comic that used to be in a local music zine in Boston. In one segment, two bands are complaining about each other, the hardcore punk band complaining about the goth band and vice versa, and both denying that they were (hardcore, and "spooky"). Then the bands play. "We're Gothic Christian Grave Cult. But we're not a spooky band!". The next band: "We're Wasted Army Skull Brigade. But we're not a hardcore band!"
Old 07-12-22, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

It was one of those late 90s/early 00s cute-pop bands. Like maybe Sixpence None The Richer or Puddle of Moms or whatever, one of those bands who had like two major Top 40 hits and vamooshed. They claimed they were not and NEVER WERE any kind of "Christian Rock" band. Not once, not one time.

Then someone pointed out that their debut album that never got a major release was titled "He Has Risen" or something along those lines.
Old 07-12-22, 10:33 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It was one of those late 90s/early 00s cute-pop bands. Like maybe Sixpence None The Richer or Puddle of Moms or whatever, one of those bands who had like two major Top 40 hits and vamooshed. They claimed they were not and NEVER WERE any kind of "Christian Rock" band. Not once, not one time.

Then someone pointed out that their debut album that never got a major release was titled "He Has Risen" or something along those lines.
Maybe P.O.D?
Old 07-13-22, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-13-22, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Originally Posted by Dvdlovr24
Maybe P.O.D?
I don't think P.O.D. has ever shied away from being a Christian band, have they? They're kind of like the 90s grunge Stryper. (Of which Skillet seems to have taken up that mantle as the 21st century Stryper.)

Evanesence was, at one point, a Christian band, but they ran like hell from that label ghetto once "Bring Me to Life" was all over the radio.
Old 08-26-22, 11:54 PM

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Sometime this year somebody posted a recent article here making an excellent point about how the 90s was the last great decade of music and the music industry before everything changed forever. I can't find it, any ideas?