Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Coachella 2010

Old 01-19-10, 12:53 PM

Coachella 2010

Great! (could do with more electronic acts on Sunday, but otherwise, I love this so far..)

Old 01-19-10, 01:20 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Coachella 2010

Why does the Thom Yorke have ???? after him?
At first I thought it was !!! but nope.
Old 01-19-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's how Thom Yorke bills himself (according to many of the other posts about Coachella on the net).

I'm really excited for this. Lots of 80s throwbacks on there - Devo, Gary Numan, Grace Jones, Public Image LTD, the Specials and Echo and the Bunnymen.

Really excited for - Faith No More, Muse, Thom Yorke, Them Crooked Vultures, The Dead Weather and Band of Skulls.
Old 01-19-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How can you have Jay-Z, Muse, and Gorillaz as your headlining artists/bands?
Old 01-19-10, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy View Post
Why does the Thom Yorke have ???? after him?
At first I thought it was !!! but nope.
It's the new band that he formed - it doesn't have a name, so that's why there are ????'s after it:

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/01/19/t...rke-coachella/
Old 01-19-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Aegean2007 View Post
It's the new band that he formed - it doesn't have a name, so that's why there are ????'s after it:

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/01/19/t...rke-coachella/
I'm sure I'm not the only one who will interpret that as a tentative booking of Thom Yorke.
Old 01-19-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin View Post
How can you have Jay-Z, Muse, and Gorillaz as your headlining artists/bands?
That's a horrible lineup of headliners. The second tier bands are so much more intriguing.
Old 01-19-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To me, that's not as good a line up as some years past. I'm not the world's biggest Muse fan, Mike Patton irritates the shit out of me, I'm not a fan of live rap and I have no interest in seeing Gorillaz. Not auspicious. Still, I'd like to see PiL, Pavement and Devo back together and LCD Soundsystem, Them Crooked Vultures, White Rabbits, Mew, Orbital, Vamipire Weekend, Porcupine Tree, Fever Ray and Infected Mushroom are all pretty good shows, I'll bet.

Also Sly and the Family Stone? Gil Scott-Heron? Are you effing kidding me?
Old 01-19-10, 03:43 PM
Banned by request

Actually, I do quite like all the bands, although Jay-Z doesn't excite me as much now as he once did. I'm considering going, but it's so expensive, and the lodging always gets booked up almost immediately.
Old 01-19-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saturday looks nice with Muse, Faith No More, MGMT, Claypool, Dead Weather, Coheed and Cambria and Devo
Old 01-19-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Boy, I could put together one hell of a one-day lineup from all those acts if I was trying to stage a show that I would like, minus the performers I don't know or care for.
Old 01-19-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I kind of want to go for FNM, even if they are minus Big Jim.
Old 01-19-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This always makes me so jealous to see this lineup. Where I live, all we get is freaking Bonnaroo, which is all hipster jam bands and the sort that I wouldn't cross the street to see for free, while every single year Coachella has acts I'd travel 100-200 miles for.
Old 01-19-10, 04:14 PM

is Coachella Orbital's only US gig or is any East Coast dates also in the works?
Old 01-19-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails View Post
This always makes me so jealous to see this lineup. Where I live, all we get is freaking Bonnaroo, which is all hipster jam bands and the sort that I wouldn't cross the street to see for free, while every single year Coachella has acts I'd travel 100-200 miles for.
Bonnaroo is a ton of fun no matter what your musical taste are.

Bonnaroo made these three tweets today

Festival partners @AC_Ent & @SuperflyGroup have some big announcements coming soon! 2010's gonna be a much bigger bang...

Sorry, what I meant to say was: 2010's gonna be big because @AC_Ent & @SuperflyGroup be big pimpin, spendin cheese...

Okay I'm sorry. I'll stop being a jokerman. I'll quit playing games with your heart. Though I could go further - or is it farther?
looks like The Rolling Stones, Jay-Z, Bob Dylan and Further will be playing this year
Old 01-19-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
looks like The Rolling Stones, Jay-Z, Bob Dylan and Further will be playing this year
And the Backstreet Boys, apparently.
Old 01-19-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bonnaroo is a ton of fun no matter what your musical taste are.

Bonnaroo made these three tweets today

Bonnaroo never appeals to my musical tastes. Every year Coachella scores at least a few acts I'd totally travel for. Madonna, Prince, Depeche Mode, The Killers, Grace Jones, Bjork and of course tons of the lower-tier artists (I see at least 10 acts I'd travel to see this year alone). It seems to court a more diverse crowd while Bonnaroo just courts the bands that were "cool" to like in high school (it wasn't "cool" to like Prince, Madonna or Depeche when I was in high school in the 90's... you were labeled gay if you were a fan... somehow these Bonnaroo people are still stuck on that label). Never anything I'm into and I consider myself to be rather diverse, last year The Ting Tings were the only act they had I liked at all but I wasn't going to drive 3 hours just for them.

I saw The Stones in 2006, I wouldn't see them again, today's Stones and the Stones of the 1970's are worlds apart.
Old 01-19-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bonnaroo never appeals to my musical tastes. Every year Coachella scores at least a few acts I'd totally travel for. Madonna, Prince, Depeche Mode, The Killers, Grace Jones, Bjork and of course tons of the lower-tier artists (I see at least 10 acts I'd travel to see this year alone). It seems to court a more diverse crowd while Bonnaroo just courts the bands that were "cool" to like in high school (it wasn't "cool" to like Prince, Madonna or Depeche when I was in high school in the 90's... you were labeled gay if you were a fan... somehow these Bonnaroo people are still stuck on that label). Never anything I'm into and I consider myself to be rather diverse, last year The Ting Tings were the only act they had I liked at all but I wasn't going to drive 3 hours just for them.

I saw The Stones in 2006, I wouldn't see them again, today's Stones and the Stones of the 1970's are worlds apart.
Did you not like last years Bonnaroo lineup? I thought it was the most diverse festival of the year.
Old 01-19-10, 05:06 PM
Banned by request

What's the one up in Washington? Bigfoot or something? I think they have had the best lineups of recent years, but it's around Memorial Day and I can never get time off to go.
Old 01-19-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you not like last years Bonnaroo lineup? I thought it was the most diverse festival of the year.
Not at all, it was very dismal compared to all the bands at Coachella last year I liked. Not bashing people who are fans, but I will never understand the appeal of Phish or Widespread Panic and those type of bands. Springsteen is decent but even then, I would've rather seen McCartney at Coachella last year for the old vet act. The fact that it had a "Chuck Norris film festival" singlehandedly shows that it is not my scene at all.

The main problem is living out in the midwest, we rarely get good artists anyways unless country is your thing. A lot of these acts that headline Coachella rarely head this way, so if we had a festival that booked someone like Bjork, REM or Depeche Mode, it'd be the one chance people like me would have at seeing them.

Last edited by nothingfails; 01-19-10 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
What's the one up in Washington? Bigfoot or something? I think they have had the best lineups of recent years, but it's around Memorial Day and I can never get time off to go.
Sasquatch Festival

The only problem I have with that festival is they never seem to have a big headliner, other than that they have a bunch of the bands I like.
Old 01-19-10, 05:24 PM
Banned by request

Last year's lineup was absolutely killer. Big headliner, no big headliner, I just want to see some great bands.
Old 01-19-10, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
Boy, I could put together one hell of a one-day lineup from all those acts if I was trying to stage a show that I would like, minus the performers I don't know or care for.
Yeah, this would be my ideal lineup:

Old 01-19-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not at all, it was very dismal compared to all the bands at Coachella last year I liked. Not bashing people who are fans, but I will never understand the appeal of Phish or Widespread Panic and those type of bands. Springsteen is decent but even then, I would've rather seen McCartney at Coachella last year for the old vet act. The fact that it had a "Chuck Norris film festival" singlehandedly shows that it is not my scene at all.

The main problem is living out in the midwest, we rarely get good artists anyways unless country is your thing. A lot of these acts that headline Coachella rarely head this way, so if we had a festival that booked someone like Bjork, REM or Depeche Mode, it'd be the one chance people like me would have at seeing them.
I don't even bother defending Phish anymore, it's okay that you don't get it. The "Chuck Norris film festival" is one of the many goofy things Bonnaroo does, they have a movie tent that shows random movies all day every day during the festival. They also had a screening of Cold Souls, the Paul Giamatti head trip movie, before it came out here in the states.

You only mentioned Phish and The Boss as bands from last year, what about all of these...
Beastie Boys, Nine Inch Nails, David Byrne, Wilco, Al Green, Snoop Dogg, Elvis Costello, Erykah Badu, Paul Oakenfold, Ben Harper and Relentless7, The Mars Volta, TV on the Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, MGMT, The Decemberists, Bon Iver, Rodrigo y Gabriela, of Montreal, Coheed and Cambria, Animal Collective, Jenny Lewis, Neko Case, Santigold, Passion Pit, Phoenix and tons of others.

In fact, I would say that Bonnaroo only had 4 Jambands
Phish
moe.
Gov't Mule
Galactic
Old 01-19-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You only mentioned Phish and The Boss as bands from last year, what about all of these...
Beastie Boys, Nine Inch Nails, David Byrne, Wilco, Al Green, Snoop Dogg, Elvis Costello, Erykah Badu, Paul Oakenfold, Ben Harper and Relentless7, The Mars Volta, TV on the Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, MGMT, The Decemberists, Bon Iver, Rodrigo y Gabriela, of Montreal, Coheed and Cambria, Animal Collective, Jenny Lewis, Neko Case, Santigold, Passion Pit, Phoenix and tons of others.
Of those acts, I like (old) Elvis Costello, TV On The Radio, Al Green, MGMT, Santigold and David Byrne's work with Talking Heads... but none of them enough to travel 3 hours (especially since Elvis and Byrne both played Louisville earlier that year..... I love The Police, the one GREAT Coachella score IMO, but they played here two weeks after Bonnaroo so I saved my gas and saw them here). But honestly, to me it was a dismal roster in what I listen to compared to Coachella's last year.

Looking at Wiki, Franz Ferdinand, Paul McCartney, The Ting Tings, The Chemical Brothers (DJ Set), Fleet Foxes, The Killers, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure were all acts that played last year I would've loved to have seen, and The Killers are the only one of those acts that even come near my region which usually seems to draw country and redneck rock (Ting Tings were supposed to do Bonnaroo but cancelled apparantly).

This year at Coachella I'd love to see Muse, Vampire Weekend, Fever Ray, Grace Jones, La Roux, David Guetta, Hot Chip, Devo, Sia, Sly And The Family Stone, Gary Numan and Little Boots. I'd travel 3-4 hours for that lineup if I lived nearby. Most of these acts will never touch the midwest and I'm sure Bonnaroo would thumb their noses at these acts except maybe Vampire Weekend because they aren't "hip" enough. Bonnaroo seems to have an axe to grind with that style of music and would never even consider inviting 90% of these acts... I mean, Hot Chip is all synthesizer, Bonnaroo seems to hate electronic music.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.