DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Johnny Cash - American VI: Ain't No Grave (2/26/10) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/567957-johnny-cash-american-vi-aint-no-grave-2-26-10-a.html)

DJLinus 01-13-10 06:21 PM

Johnny Cash - American VI: Ain't No Grave (2/26/10)

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1707/cashk.jpg

Johnny Cash's 'American VI' Due in February
Posted on Jan 13th 2010 1:30PM by John D. Luerssen

The sixth and final installment of Johnny Cash's American Recordings album series will be released next month. Due on Feb. 26, which would have been the Man in Black's 78th birthday, the Rick Rubin-produced 'American VI: Ain't No Grave' counts a previously unreleased Cash original and renditions of songs by Sheryl Crow, Kris Kristofferson, Tom Paxton and others.

Recorded by Cash's longtime engineer David "Fergie" Ferguson at the Cash Cabin Studio in Henderson, Tenn. and at Akadamie Mathematique of Philosophical Sound Research in Los Angeles, the disc features guitarist Mike Campbell and keyboardist Benmont Tench, who played on all of the series' albums except the first. Guitarists Matt Sweeney, formerly of Chavez, Jonny Polonsky and Smokey Hormel, who also played on the fourth and fifth 'American' discs, also appear, with the Avett Brothers' Scott and Seth turning up on the project's namesake 'Ain't No Grave.'

Speaking about the project, Rubin said that these sessions kept the music legend going after he lost his wife, June Carter Cash, to surgical complications. Despite his frail condition, Rubin stated, "Johnny said that recording was his main reason for being alive."

A press release describes the set as "deeply elegiac and spiritual" and calls it an "achingly personal and intimate statement." Stemming from sessions that started in 2002 and led up to May 2003, just four months before Cash died, "each song is its own piece of the puzzle of life's mysteries and challenges -- the pursuit of salvation, the importance of friendships, the dream of peace, the power of faith and the joys and adversities that entail simple survival."

The never-before-heard original, titled 'I Corinthians: 15:55,' was written over the last three years of his life. Tracks like Crow's 'Redemption Day,' Kristofferson's 'For the Good Times' and Paxton's 'Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound' appear alongside tunes by Bob Nolan, Ed McCurdy, J.H. Red Hayes and Jack Rhodes and Queen Lili'uokalai.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/01/13/jo...e-in-february/
It seems like it's been years since I heard any news regarding this album, so this was a pleasant surprise to read.

nothingfails 01-13-10 07:07 PM

Re: Johnny Cash - American VI: Ain't No Grave (2/26/10)

How many songs did he record with Rick Rubin? I remember there was the box set of unreleased American tracks after his death, and then there was the release of American V, now American VI? Wonder how much more is in the vaults.

auto 01-13-10 07:34 PM

This is American VI!

nothingfails 01-13-10 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 9941566)
This is American VI!

oh yea duh, pardon my brain fart

IV was the one that came out shortly before his death that sold a lot from "Hurt", and V was the one released posthumously in 2006.

Dr Mabuse 01-13-10 07:46 PM

I have all of his American stuff.

I'll get this ASAP.

Decker 01-13-10 09:37 PM

Looking forward to his recording of Aloha Oe. Now that is a fitting farewell. :up:

danstheday 01-13-10 09:53 PM

I really really wish that Rick Rubin would release the live concert footage they recorded ( audio and video ) of Cash's solo shows they were doing around the time they released the first 2 or 3 american recordings. I have 1 or 2 soundboard recordings of those concerts and they are UNFRIGGENBELIEVABLE

majorjoe23 01-13-10 10:14 PM

I didn't even realize V had come out. How have I missed that for almost four years?

Sean O'Hara 01-14-10 08:59 AM

Coming Soon: American VII, featuring a rare duet with the Notorious B.I.G.

ScissorPuppy 01-14-10 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 9942319)
Coming Soon: American VII, featuring a rare duet with the Notorious B.I.G.

Yep, Also expect the Duet with Michael Jackson as they sing Bille Jean together.

The Antipodean 01-14-10 06:28 PM

I love Cash but his voice was really getting rusty on American V. I'll probably pick this up but it's going to be a sad listen, I think most of his passion had kind of burned out by Vol. III or so.

Decker 01-14-10 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc (Post 9943358)
I love Cash but his voice was really getting rusty on American V. I'll probably pick this up but it's going to be a sad listen, I think most of his passion had kind of burned out by Vol. III or so.

Hey, there's always Auto-Tune!

j/k ;)

kstublen 02-14-10 12:19 AM

So apparently this is coming out in a digipak? Can someone explain to me the logic of releasing all of Johnny Cash's American Albums in jewel cases and then releasing the final one in a digipak? This is very frustrating...

auto 02-14-10 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc (Post 9943358)

I think that is part of what people thought made these releases special. He was singing through his age.

movieking 02-25-10 06:22 AM

Picked it up yesterday and listening to it now. Obviously very similar to the rest of the American anthology, which to me, is a good thing. I'll have to give it a few listens to decide on my favorite songs, but For The Good Times has always been a favorite of mine, regardless of the artist...