Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bruce Kulick - BK3 (with Gene Simmons, Doug Fieger, and more)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-03-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bruce Kulick is releasing his third solo album, BK3, on February 2nd, and this is arguably the best solo album he's done to date. It represents almost 6 years of work. The album definitely rocks, but there is some serious substance on there as well - a depth that some people just wouldn't expect.

There are also several guests who appear on the album, including Gene Simmons, John Corabi (Motley Crue), Doug Fieger (The Knack), Nick Simmons, and Tobias Sammet (Edguy, Avantasia) on lead vocals, Eric Singer and Kenny Aronoff on drums (one track each), and Steve Lukather on guitar (one track).

Style-wise I'd have to say it's a blending of what you heard on KISS' Revenge and Carnival of Souls albums, the two Union studio albums, and Bruce's two previous solo albums, AudioDog and Transformer.

Bruce's guitar playing is, as usual, fantastic, and his vocals are stronger than on his previous albums (he's still a barely passable singer, but the time and effort that he put in to the album definitely shows with better vocal performances than he's given before).

I've got a full review up here:
http://www.vistarecords.proboards.co...ead=134&page=1

It's a little long to post here, so I'll just link it.

If you like good guitar playing, and solid, dynamic Hard Rock with some maturity to it then you may want to check this album out.

Bruce has some samples up on his website:
http://kulick.net/bk3/

Old 01-03-10, 10:57 PM

Re: Bruce Kulick - BK3 (with Gene Simmons, Doug Fieger, and more)

Ain't Gonna Die with Gene Simmons on vocals sounds as good or even better than any of Gene's songs on Sonic Boom.
Old 01-06-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's a great song.

I just did an interview with Bruce that I posted on my website. Here are some highlights...

It's been six years since the release of Transformer. When did you start work on BK3? (Songwriting, and then recording.)

I starting writing songs late in 2003. Just after the shooting incident on Sunset Blvd. The song "I'll Survive" came from that immediately. Then I hooked up with Jeremy Rubolino my producer and we started to play with other ideas I had. Like the song "Life" and then some heavier riffs I had. So over the course of the next few years we were always writing material for BK3. Then started the demo process and finally the actually recordings.

Did you always have guest performers in mind for BK3, or did that idea come about later (and how did that idea come about)? And whose idea was it to use the guests? Was it just a matter of a particular song fit that guest's style and you asked if they would do it?

I did not really know that I would have as many featured guests as I wound up with. As the songs developed I knew a few I wouldn't sing, but getting Gene Simmons to commit and then offer Nick to join for a song as well, really got the recipe for the CD up to a different level, and Jeremy and I went for others. Like Steve Lukather on my instrumental track. I could of done the song myself, but it was bigger to have a true guitar monster to trade off with me. The song had to fit of course with who we asked to appear. All of them were great, and I am grateful to feature them on my CD.

What are your favorite songs on BK3, and why? (Is there a track that you're particularly proud of on BK3?)

I always feel that the song with Gene is very special, and the one called "I'll Survive". The sound of the Survive track is wonderful, as it is hard to have something created like what you hear in your brain.

Gene's track "Ain't Gonna Die" was a great collaboration and it made me of course think of all the KISS years in the studio etc. The tune with both John Corabi and Nick Simmons are huge guitar rock glory in my mind, but as usual, cause I worked on this CD so long, I do love all 11 songs!

What 2 or 3 albums that you have appeared on are you the most proud of, and why?

REVENGE by KISS comes to mind right away. KISS at its best for sure and the production and performances are wonderful. I also love my solo for FOREVER from Hot In The Shade.

Post KISS I would say that both UNION discs, have some good BK guitar playing for sure. One last thing but not well known would be "Save Me" from a Queen tribute CD from years ago.
Bruce, as usual, was a very classy guy with his responses. The full interview touches on several parts of his career. If you're interested, here's the link...
http://www.vistarecords.proboards.co...lay&thread=137
Old 01-06-10, 09:36 PM

Great review and interview. I'll have to pick this one up.
Old 01-11-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here are samples for all of the songs with an album review...

Old 01-14-10, 09:47 AM

As you pointed out, And I know is definitely Bruce's strongest vocal outing. The rest of the guest vocalists are top-notch and I'm especially impressed by Nick Simmons.
Old 01-15-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for that, Erik. Very nice review. Can't say I was really too blown away by most of the album, except for the Doug Fieger track, but it's a decent enough record.