DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/567276-ways-getting-pre-gap-songs-onto-itunes.html)

Rypro 525 01-01-10 12:55 AM

ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

On some albums, if you rewind the cd, you get a hidden song. I was wondering if there was a special way of getting these songs on to itunes or windows media player?

UAIOE 01-01-10 03:22 AM

Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

What are some CD's that include a "rewind to find" song?

DonnachaOne 01-01-10 06:21 AM

Blur's "Think Tank".

Rypro 525 01-01-10 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE (Post 9916900)
What are some CD's that include a "rewind to find" song?

the only 2 i can think of are Flyleaf's new one, and Dog Fashion Disco's "Commited to a Bright Future"

auto 01-01-10 11:13 AM

This is a good question. I was just making a blur mix and wondering this myself.

sb5 01-01-10 12:17 PM

Wikipedia has a list of albums with them.

Looking around, it seems that you can record them with EAC (Exact Audio Copy) ripping software, though even that may be dependent on your drive - some drives simply won't read that information.

Here's a guide to ripping them. I haven't tried it myself.

Numanoid 01-01-10 05:43 PM

Rewind a cd. :lol:

UAIOE 01-02-10 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by sb5 (Post 9917247)
Wikipedia has a list of albums with them.

Well, I only ever owned "Transistor" by 311 out of that list.

Spiderbite 01-02-10 09:29 AM

Interesting list. It's strange that I was actually thinking about this very topic the other day even though I thought I didn't have any cds that did it.

I was working in a music store during college in the early 90's when the first album that had this "extra" came in. It was a promo copy of Tab Benoit's album "What I Live For" (which is odd that it is not on that list) and it actually came with instructions on how to hear the hidden track and stated that the regular album would have this "technology." I believe it was a short interview with Benoit instead of an actual songs but it has been over 15 years since then so I don't remember exactly what it was.

I do remember we all agreed that it was pretty dumb but then proceeded to try to rewind other cds at the begin to see if we could be the first to discover another album that hadn't been announced with this feature but never had any luck and was a severe waste of time. I could have sworn the only other album to do this that we got later was a Willie Nelson album (which also isn't on that wiki list) that came out around the same time 1994) but can't swear to it.

I actually own the Ben Folds and David Gray albums and will have to give them a try.

Now what I really need to know is an easy way on how to record "hidden" songs at the end of albums without all that time between them on my iTunes. The instructions given above seem extensive and I just wanted to deal with iTunes. How can you stop a track that is burning to iTunes without have to record the whole 20 minutes? (i.e. Nirvana's "Something In The Way")

Dan 01-02-10 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 9918670)
Now what I really need to know is an easy way on how to record "hidden" songs at the end of albums without all that time between them on my iTunes. The instructions given above seem extensive and I just wanted to deal with iTunes. How can you stop a track that is burning to iTunes without have to record the whole 20 minutes? (i.e. Nirvana's "Something In The Way")

It's easy, but does take a bit of effort.

BEFORE you import the CD that has a track that contains two songs, listen to it and write down the time when the first song ends. Then write down the time when the second song starts.
Right-click the track, and select Get Info. Then select the Options tab.
Change the Stop Time to the time you wrote down for the end of the first song, then select OK.
Import the whole CD.
Then, while still looking at the CD view, remove the check-mark beside each track except the one that contains two songs.
Erase the number in the Stop Time (it will default to the end of the track if this field is empty), and enter the Start Time as the time you wrote down for the beginning of the second (hidden) song, then select OK.
Change the name of the track to whatever you want (I usually use "(hidden)")
Import, and only that track will be imported, this time, just the second song.

When done, for housekeeping's sake, I always go back into the track info for that CD and fix any changes that I made (ie: Start and Stop Times, track name, etc.)

edit: Oh, forgot to mention, once I have all the songs (and hidden song) imported to iTunes, I'll change the track number of the hidden song (ie: if the last official song was #11, I'd change the hidden song to #12). Then, I'll change ALL the tracks' info so they are #x of 12 instead of #x of 11.

UAIOE 01-02-10 12:12 PM

I think I have a CD that isn;t on that list. Crystal Method's first CD "Vegas" has a hidden intro to "Comin' Back" that only plays when you "rewind" or let the song before it play to the finish. But I guess it isn't really hidden unless you skip to track 5 or put the CD on random play.

Dan 01-02-10 12:21 PM

^That type of thing is mentioned in the list, but only one CD seems to be listed with that type of track:

Dream Theater
Octavarium - Several tracks feature additional pregap content before the music of the song starts.

Spiderbite 01-02-10 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore (Post 9918823)
It's easy, but does take a bit of effort.

BEFORE you import the CD that has a track that contains two songs, listen to it and write down the time when the first song ends. Then write down the time when the second song starts.
Change the Stop Time to the time you wrote down for the end of the first song, then select OK.
Import the whole CD.
Then, while still looking at the CD view, remove the check-mark beside each track except the one that contains two songs.
Erase the number in the Stop Time (it will default to the end of the track if this field is empty), and enter the Start Time as the time you wrote down for the beginning of the second (hidden) song, then select OK.
Change the name of the track to whatever you want (I usually use "(hidden)")
Import, and only that track will be imported, this time, just the second song.

When done, for housekeeping's sake, I always go back into the track info for that CD and fix any changes that I made (ie: Start and Stop Times, track name, etc.)

edit: Oh, forgot to mention, once I have all the songs (and hidden song) imported to iTunes, I'll change the track number of the hidden song (ie: if the last official song was #11, I'd change the hidden song to #12). Then, I'll change ALL the tracks' info so they are #x of 12 instead of #x of 11.

Cool. Thanks for the detailed info. I will definitely try it.

My other option is that I have a stand alone cd to cd burner from the late 90's (don't know if they still make those anymore) and was going to have to burn the song at regular speed and stop it when it ends while listening to it.

Mordred 01-11-10 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 9918670)
I was working in a music store during college in the early 90's when the first album that had this "extra" came in. It was a promo copy of Tab Benoit's album "What I Live For" (which is odd that it is not on that list) and it actually came with instructions on how to hear the hidden track and stated that the regular album would have this "technology." I believe it was a short interview with Benoit instead of an actual songs but it has been over 15 years since then so I don't remember exactly what it was.

It's funny you mentioned that because before I clicked on the Wikipedia link I thought "I bet they don't have the Tab Benoit CD listed." It was an interview and not a song, and the release CD does have a note on the back. Sadly my car audio-player refuses to play it. I can rewind through it, but when I stop rewinding it jumps to the first song so I haven't heard it in 15 years.

mndtrp 01-11-10 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE (Post 9918847)
I think I have a CD that isn;t on that list. Crystal Method's first CD "Vegas" has a hidden intro to "Comin' Back" that only plays when you "rewind" or let the song before it play to the finish. But I guess it isn't really hidden unless you skip to track 5 or put the CD on random play.

Which imported just fine into itunes, at least for me.

sb5 01-11-10 09:28 PM

The pregaps that are in between tracks aren't the problem - those rip fine. It's the rare pregap before Track 1 that the OP was having problems with.

Rypro 525 01-11-10 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore (Post 9918861)
^That type of thing is mentioned in the list, but only one CD seems to be listed with that type of track:

the thing with Octavium, the pain in the ass when ripping that album, if you don't want the "in between songs" which is mostly random noises and shit like that, you have to time it where you can delete the moment the regular song ends