DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   music that still isn't on cd (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/566959-music-still-isnt-cd.html)

statcat 12-24-09 09:09 AM

music that still isn't on cd

I came across this 80s band, Fiat Lux not too long ago and I was surprised to learn nothing of theirs was ever released on cd. It surprised me because I know even the most obscure bands have cd releases now.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQn90eXIgOU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQn90eXIgOU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Any favorites of yours not on cd at all?

whaaat 12-24-09 10:02 AM

Re: music that still isn't on cd

Buckingham/Nicks
The Flame (Beach Boys related)

Nick Danger 12-24-09 12:46 PM

The Neats. Fortunately, I still have my vinyl version of The Monkey's Head in the Corner of the Room.

Ginwen 12-24-09 01:11 PM

Suburban Lawns

There's one song (Gidget Goes to Hell) on a compilation or two but that's about it. Luckily I have the albums. I have most of it on MP3 from the waining days of napster, but they're pretty crappy mp3s.

nothingfails 12-24-09 06:14 PM

Cher's mid-1970's Warner Bros. albums have never been issued on CD.

A lot of Dolly Parton's stuff has yet to be released on cd's, most of her early/mid 1970's albums. Several of her late 70's/early 80's albums like Dolly Dolly Dolly, Heartbreak Express, Great Ball Of Fire and the sort were just released on CD for the first time about 2 years ago.

Geoffy 12-24-09 07:11 PM

The Beatles @ The Hollywood Bowl.

RagingBull80 12-24-09 10:51 PM

Anything by The Method Actors.

gmanca 12-25-09 05:39 AM

A lot of my favorite soundtracks are not on CD like Manhunter, Year of the Dragon, Popeye, Talking Heads - Songs from True Stories, or Howard the Duck.

cactusoly 12-25-09 07:44 AM

I'm still looking for Whitford/St.Holmes

mickey65 12-25-09 09:27 AM

Lots of old Tammy Wynette and Loretta Lynn albums from the 60's and 70's are yet to be released on CD.

Altho I have a friend with a LP to CD burner and we've made some nice CDs over the years...

rw2516 12-25-09 11:53 AM

Haven't checked in a while but several Head East lps hadn't been released. There is one Steve Miller Band album that's not been released. Hundreds of movie soundtracks and Christmas albums. There's some McCartney EPs with songs not on cd yet. One b-side I'd like to get is a song called "Satisfied" that was on one of Sammy Hagar's early '80s 45s.

Rocketdog2000 12-25-09 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by cactusoly (Post 9907799)
I'm still looking for Whitford/St.Holmes

Although it was released on CD at one time. True, it's out of print now (and going for $30+ on E-bay), but still something that could be tracked down and had if you wanted it bad enough.

atlantamoi 12-26-09 02:52 AM

Well, if you'll look at my sig, I've been having a blast catching up on long lost vinyl rips available on a million blogs. The amount of music that hasn't made it to CD is incredibly large. It's quite cool how people can really clean up a vinyl rip to the point you really can't tell a certain Mp3 isn't from a disc.

Boba Fett 12-26-09 03:48 AM

I'm not sure Plastic Bertrand's "L'Album" ever made it to CD. I think he's gotten a few token compilation CDs though.

The Infidel 01-03-10 01:52 AM

Homer & Jethro at the Country Club (1960)

hawk 01-03-10 08:26 PM

The Concerts For Kampuchea

Hollowgen 01-03-10 10:58 PM

Silent Circle
Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me
Buckingham/Nicks

mickey65 01-04-10 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen (Post 9921409)
Buckingham/Nicks

I've got that one on CD. -wink-

rw2516 01-04-10 08:55 AM

There's plenty of well done boots of Buckingham Nicks. The one I got you really can't tell except for errors in the file tags.

mickey65 01-05-10 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 9921719)
There's plenty of well done boots of Buckingham Nicks. The one I got you really can't tell except for errors in the file tags.

I've got the "Deluxe" edition with 21 songs.

reverie 01-05-10 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 9921590)
I've got that one on CD. -wink-

I saw this and thought "I don't remember posting here". :lol: You used to be able to find lots of neat stuff on the boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ. The good old days..

Hollowgen 01-05-10 07:24 PM

I just assumed we were discussing legal CD releases, not bootlegs.

I'll add another one: Kraftwerk - Ralf und Florian

mikelowry 01-06-10 09:04 AM

I'm looking for a copy of The Weather Prophets - Mayflower.

reverie 01-06-10 09:19 AM

Looking around the internet yesterday, I realized one that's never been released (I have a few that have been, but aren't anymore...!): "Jeremy Spencer". I have one song on a CD from the album and I quite enjoy it.. I'd pick up the CD were it ever released.

manicsounds 01-06-10 06:47 PM

One of Gescom (Autechre)'s albums was issued only on MD....
oh, but on later inspection, it was issued on CD it seems.

Hiro11 01-29-10 04:09 PM

Albums from the late-eighties/early ninties that were released on CD breifly but have been OOP for a long time:

Close Lobster's "Foxheads Stalk this Land"- prime C-86 Brit post-punk pop similar to the Wedding Present. Released on cd briefly in the UK about 20 years ago, now impossible to find (for less than $250)

Live Skull: Positraction - I consider this album to be a straight-up classic of New York post-nowave (a la Sonic Youth) guitar rock. It's packed with great tracks and easily as good as something like Evol. Impossible to find these days.

Ultra Vivid Scene: Entire Catalog. Clean, minimalist but slightly disturbing electro-guitar pop. Sounds a bit like a combination of early OMD and Belle and Sebastian. Three brilliant and diverse albums that should have been hits. OOP for at least fifteen years.

Swervedriver: Entire catalog. The second best band of the shoegaze era after My Bloody Valentine, IMO (even though they weren't really shoegaze). Recently a greatest hits comp has been released but the albums have not been available for at least ten years.

Unrest: "Perfect Teeth" and "Imperial FFRR"- these are two American indie-pop classics that have been OOP since the mid-ninties. Easy to find on MP3, but try to get a CD of these...

Cows: Entire Catalog - one of the most unhinged noise-punk bands in history. "Cunning Stunts" is a great album, impossible to find.

It's amazing how some even more obscure stuff is still easy to find on CD, but these albums (some of which were even on major lables) are impossible to find now...

mickey65 02-11-10 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen (Post 9921409)
Buckingham/Nicks

In one of the latest issues of Goldmine Magazine, I spotted this for sale as an Australia import. 12 songs. You may want to check around - since it looks like it's out there now and as a "non-boot".

Luther Heggs 02-11-10 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9971120)
Unrest: "Perfect Teeth" and "Imperial FFRR"- these are two American indie-pop classics that have been OOP since the mid-ninties. Easy to find on MP3, but try to get a CD of these...

FWIW in 2005 Imperial FFRR was given an expanded reissue with nine bonus tracks on Teenbeat and is still in print. Perfect Teeth can be had for $5 to $8 at Discogs.

Deadman31 02-14-10 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 9993237)
In one of the latest issues of Goldmine Magazine, I spotted this for sale as an Australia import. 12 songs. You may want to check around - since it looks like it's out there now and as a "non-boot".

You can download the album at buckinghamnicks.net

http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/bn/slmedia.html#mp3

d2cheer 02-19-10 03:13 PM

Spring Break (1983) Movie Soundtrack. LOVE IT and wish it was out on CD. I have purchased the album at least 3 times.

Viper187 02-24-10 12:51 PM

My problem is with random songs used in movies that never get released on CD. It took nearly 20 years for the song that plays at the beginning of Road House to get released on a CD, and it only hapened because the band started selling burned CDs on their own site. "Don't Throw Stones" by the Cruzadoz. Off hand, I know there are a couple other songs I'm itching for.

1. "No Mercy" by Bill Wray -- played near the end of Lionheart (1991?) before Van Damme fought Atilla

2. "Rough Stuff" by Buster Poindexter, and most of the other songs on Mr Nanny

whotony 02-24-10 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by reverie (Post 9923852)
I saw this and thought "I don't remember posting here". :lol: You used to be able to find lots of neat stuff on the boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ. The good old days..

I miss those days and the two summers I worked there on the boardwalk