Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

music that still isn't on cd

Old 01-29-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: music that still isn't on cd

Albums from the late-eighties/early ninties that were released on CD breifly but have been OOP for a long time:

Close Lobster's "Foxheads Stalk this Land"- prime C-86 Brit post-punk pop similar to the Wedding Present. Released on cd briefly in the UK about 20 years ago, now impossible to find (for less than $250)

Live Skull: Positraction - I consider this album to be a straight-up classic of New York post-nowave (a la Sonic Youth) guitar rock. It's packed with great tracks and easily as good as something like Evol. Impossible to find these days.

Ultra Vivid Scene: Entire Catalog. Clean, minimalist but slightly disturbing electro-guitar pop. Sounds a bit like a combination of early OMD and Belle and Sebastian. Three brilliant and diverse albums that should have been hits. OOP for at least fifteen years.

Swervedriver: Entire catalog. The second best band of the shoegaze era after My Bloody Valentine, IMO (even though they weren't really shoegaze). Recently a greatest hits comp has been released but the albums have not been available for at least ten years.

Unrest: "Perfect Teeth" and "Imperial FFRR"- these are two American indie-pop classics that have been OOP since the mid-ninties. Easy to find on MP3, but try to get a CD of these...

Cows: Entire Catalog - one of the most unhinged noise-punk bands in history. "Cunning Stunts" is a great album, impossible to find.

It's amazing how some even more obscure stuff is still easy to find on CD, but these albums (some of which were even on major lables) are impossible to find now...

Last edited by Hiro11; 01-29-10 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Hollowgen View Post
Buckingham/Nicks
In one of the latest issues of Goldmine Magazine, I spotted this for sale as an Australia import. 12 songs. You may want to check around - since it looks like it's out there now and as a "non-boot".
Old 02-11-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Unrest: "Perfect Teeth" and "Imperial FFRR"- these are two American indie-pop classics that have been OOP since the mid-ninties. Easy to find on MP3, but try to get a CD of these...
FWIW in 2005 Imperial FFRR was given an expanded reissue with nine bonus tracks on Teenbeat and is still in print. Perfect Teeth can be had for $5 to $8 at Discogs.
Old 02-14-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
In one of the latest issues of Goldmine Magazine, I spotted this for sale as an Australia import. 12 songs. You may want to check around - since it looks like it's out there now and as a "non-boot".

You can download the album at buckinghamnicks.net

http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/bn/slmedia.html#mp3
Old 02-19-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spring Break (1983) Movie Soundtrack. LOVE IT and wish it was out on CD. I have purchased the album at least 3 times.
Old 02-24-10, 01:51 PM
Banned

My problem is with random songs used in movies that never get released on CD. It took nearly 20 years for the song that plays at the beginning of Road House to get released on a CD, and it only hapened because the band started selling burned CDs on their own site. "Don't Throw Stones" by the Cruzadoz. Off hand, I know there are a couple other songs I'm itching for.

1. "No Mercy" by Bill Wray -- played near the end of Lionheart (1991?) before Van Damme fought Atilla

2. "Rough Stuff" by Buster Poindexter, and most of the other songs on Mr Nanny
Old 02-24-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reverie View Post
I saw this and thought "I don't remember posting here". You used to be able to find lots of neat stuff on the boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ. The good old days..
I miss those days and the two summers I worked there on the boardwalk